• Playwire Ad Area

Oklahoma State 2023-24, 2024-25

nhs67

OK, the two of you (and maybe many more) know more than I do, and it looks like Brooks is headed for 197 and Bernie at 184.

But with Okie State, assuming I am correct as to what I think the line up will be, their season will turn on how 5 talented but unproven guys will do.  Namely, Spratley at 125, Jamison at 141, Alvarez at 149, Thompson at 184 and Carroll at 285.

Any thought/insight how those 5 will stack up. I think they all have shot at AA status, but not sure any are title contenders. 

OSU has to work on how they look. Especially during matches with John Smith looking like a grumpy old guy who kicks cats and pees on neighbors bushes.

On the upside Carter Young is tops in the All Cutie team - especially when his hair is longer.

Teach Coach to smile sometimes and Young to grow his hair and maybe OSU will do a lot better. (I mean a real smile for John, not the serial killer grin)

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

On 6/15/2023 at 1:56 PM, Gus said:

The problem for Surber is that Aaron Brooks and Trent Hidlay are moving up to 197 and Stephen Buchanon will be back. It was a deep weight class last year and get arguable deep this year. 

I like Olejnik and think he has a shot at AA again but is by no means a lock. You have KOT, Carr, Amine and Hamiti as likely AA's and then a group of about 10 (Olejnik, Caliendo, Ramirez, Olguin, Kennedy, Peyton Hall, Messinbrink, etc)guys fighting for the last 4 spots.

197 was not a deep weight last year.  It will be this year 

49 minutes ago, AgaveMaria said:

OSU has to work on how they look. Especially during matches with John Smith looking like a grumpy old guy who kicks cats and pees on neighbors bushes.

There's no way to win a team championship without kicking a few cats.

52 minutes ago, JimmyBT said:

197 was not a deep weight last year.  It will be this year 

Max Dean was a returning champ that took 7th. Cardenas was a silver at U23’s and took 8th. I’d say there was depth at 197. Trumble, Beard, Braunegel, Allred, Bastida didn’t place 

• Fire 1

56 minutes ago, Gus said:

Max Dean was a returning champ that took 7th. Cardenas was a silver at U23’s and took 8th. I’d say there was depth at 197. Trumble, Beard, Braunegel, Allred, Bastida didn’t place 

A lot of parity. Meanwhile, both finalists from last year missed the podium the previous year. Very matchup dependent.

8 minutes ago, wrestlingest2010 said:

A lot of parity. Meanwhile, both finalists from last year missed the podium the previous year. Very matchup dependent.

Yep, a sure sign on a deep weight class. And the success that Sloan, Elam and Cardenas have had on the world stage shows the overall talent of the weight class. 

On 6/24/2023 at 6:52 AM, Michael Moran said:

OK, the two of you (and maybe many more) know more than I do, and it looks like Brooks is headed for 197 and Bernie at 184.

But with Okie State, assuming I am correct as to what I think the line up will be, their season will turn on how 5 talented but unproven guys will do.  Namely, Spratley at 125, Jamison at 141, Alvarez at 149, Thompson at 184 and Carroll at 285.

Any thought/insight how those 5 will stack up. I think they all have shot at AA status, but not sure any are title contenders. 

Besides Carroll and Thompson doing well at U20s, its all speculation/chatter. But those two at least have a headstart on their D1 careers, Carroll especially. Thompson seems like he has a mean streak that I'm excited to see. Don't know much about Spratley but his predecessor was a lanky cagey defensive wrestler. Also don't know much about Jamison or Alvarez but I'm glad that two of the transfers are from Minnesota so they can have that personal connection in a new place. And as a fan I hope that the new guys are fired up not only to win but to help OSU get back in the perennial trophy hunt. Of course everybody wants that for their team, but we went from taking 3rd at NCAAs to back-to-back worst finishes in program history - stupid Ferrari fiasco had half our lineup shifting weights just to fill the spots.

22 hours ago, AgaveMaria said:

On the upside Carter Young is tops in the All Cutie team - especially when his hair is longer.

Teach Coach to smile sometimes and Young to grow his hair and maybe OSU will do a lot better. (I mean a real smile for John, not the serial killer grin)

Haha there's some truth in this! Maybe John should grow HIS hair out, at least to hide his scowl. 😆

45 minutes ago, alex1fly said:

Besides Carroll and Thompson doing well at U20s, its all speculation/chatter. But those two at least have a headstart on their D1 careers, Carroll especially. Thompson seems like he has a mean streak that I'm excited to see. Don't know much about Spratley but his predecessor was a lanky cagey defensive wrestler. Also don't know much about Jamison or Alvarez but I'm glad that two of the transfers are from Minnesota so they can have that personal connection in a new place. And as a fan I hope that the new guys are fired up not only to win but to help OSU get back in the perennial trophy hunt. Of course everybody wants that for their team, but we went from taking 3rd at NCAAs to back-to-back worst finishes in program history - stupid Ferrari fiasco had half our lineup shifting weights just to fill the spots.

Spratley is a stud, you are going to be quite happy with his results. He has a mean streak in him too, he is tough as hell.  I was told he was beating McKee in the room

• Fire 1

On 6/26/2023 at 9:33 AM, H82Lose said:

Spratley is a stud, you are going to be quite happy with his results. He has a mean streak in him too, he is tough as hell.  I was told he was beating McKee in the room

Well rock and roll, baby. Mastro at 125 beating McKee was one of if not his biggest win. Mastro showed signs of greatness but never quite put it together, and then quit the team mid-season last year. He's still in Stillwater running his zoo so seems like a HEW situation but who knows. We were pretty spoiled by 4 years of Piccinnini at 125... I remember seeing Nick's first match at OSU and thinking he was going to be something special. What a performer that guy was and still is in MMA.

5 minutes ago, alex1fly said:

Well rock and roll, baby. Mastro at 125 beating McKee was one of if not his biggest win. Mastro showed signs of greatness but never quite put it together, and then quit the team mid-season last year. He's still in Stillwater running his zoo so seems like a HEW situation but who knows. We were pretty spoiled by 4 years of Piccinnini at 125... I remember seeing Nick's first match at OSU and thinking he was going to be something special. What a performer that guy was and still is in MMA.

Nick Picininni... wow... blast from the past there.

Looking at his tapology was also fun as hell.

He beat Freddie Rodriguez in his last fight in December of last year.

Freddie was a phenom out of high school that has a few rough years at Oklahoma due to off-the-mat issues and landed at SIUE (Alfredo Rodriguez).  I honestly think he might have been the best version of himself his Junior or Senior year in High School.  He just had no fear and would lay it all out there.

That said... the same Freddie Rodriguez that Picininni demolished via R1 Arm Triangle Choke also beat... guess who...

?

Gavin Teasedale the year prior.

Good shit.

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

Flo came out with preview for Okie State.  Had both Carroll andThompson redshirting.  Talked a bit about Carroll not redshirting.   But did not talk about Thompson starting, Whitlake dropping to 174 and Plott redshirting.  Also had Alvarez and Jamison fighting for 141 spot and Williams at 149.  Did not talk about K Mirzo at all let alone about him at 157.

My view is both Thompson and Carroll start, Whitlake drops to 174 (if he comes back) and Jamison and Williams fight for 141 spot while Alvarez starts at 149 (though I admit I could be off base here).  I also think good chance Mirzo goes at 157.

There view seems to be Okie State is top 10 team, and a chance for more.  I agree with that.

• Fire 2

6 hours ago, Michael Moran said:

Flo came out with preview for Okie State.  Had both Carroll andThompson redshirting.  Talked a bit about Carroll not redshirting.   But did not talk about Thompson starting, Whitlake dropping to 174 and Plott redshirting.  Also had Alvarez and Jamison fighting for 141 spot and Williams at 149.  Did not talk about K Mirzo at all let alone about him at 157.

My view is both Thompson and Carroll start, Whitlake drops to 174 (if he comes back) and Jamison and Williams fight for 141 spot while Alvarez starts at 149 (though I admit I could be off base here).  I also think good chance Mirzo goes at 157.

There view seems to be Okie State is top 10 team, and a chance for more.  I agree with that.

While they're not known for their insights, journalism, integrity, reliability, or quality of character, they do have streaming access to some events that they regularly fumble. 

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Michael Moran said:

ZERO and I mean ZERO % chance Jordan Williams will go 141...did I say ZERO? ZERO. 

50 minutes ago, H82Lose said:

ZERO and I mean ZERO % chance Jordan Williams will go 141...did I say ZERO? ZERO. 

Devil's Advocate here... why would he drop from last offseason's Freestyle weight of 70 KG (~154.3lbs) to 65 KG (~143.3lbs) for this Freestyle season?

Dropping those 11lbs isn't exactly a sign pointing towards a successful venture as D1 149lber for the team that has the most titles in history out of any and all collegiate sports.  Especially since that squad is well known to make kids cut a shit tonne of weight.

19 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Devil's Advocate here... why would he drop from last offseason's Freestyle weight of 70 KG (~154.3lbs) to 65 KG (~143.3lbs) for this Freestyle season?

I had similar thoughts but also don't see him winning the spot at 141 which also suggests my doubts for success first year at 149.

19 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Especially since that squad is well known to make kids cut a shit tonne of weight.

I'm waiting for @PortaJohn to weigh in on this.  

I admit I don't know anything.  But I had similar thought as nhs67 in that why would Williams cut to 65 kg for freestyle. Also could Sammy Alvarez be a stud in room at 149?  I think Voinovich transferred because he say he could not start at 149.  Otherwise doesn't make sense as family had moved to Stillwater.  I thought Voinovich though he couldn't beat Williams.  But with Williams going down for freestyle season, what is going on?  So putting pieces together maybe Sammy Alvarez looks great at 149 and caused Voinovich to transfer and Williams to try to move to 141.  Alvarez had his moments at Rutgers but unless he has gotten much better at OSU don't think he was that good?  Any thoughts from anyone? 

• Fire 1

43 minutes ago, Michael Moran said:

I admit I don't know anything.  But I had similar thought as nhs67 in that why would Williams cut to 65 kg for freestyle. Also could Sammy Alvarez be a stud in room at 149?  I think Voinovich transferred because he say he could not start at 149.  Otherwise doesn't make sense as family had moved to Stillwater.  I thought Voinovich though he couldn't beat Williams.  But with Williams going down for freestyle season, what is going on?  So putting pieces together maybe Sammy Alvarez looks great at 149 and caused Voinovich to transfer and Williams to try to move to 141.  Alvarez had his moments at Rutgers but unless he has gotten much better at OSU don't think he was that good?  Any thoughts from anyone? 

That all makes sense to me 

50 minutes ago, Michael Moran said:

First ... talk to Wkn.

Second, Alvarez is 141, Voinovich had no worries with Alverez and doubt any with Williams.  Family moved there & younger son in HS maybe they got a better job &/or other reasons, prob all moving to Iowa City now.  

Alvarez was at 141.  But he left Rutgers because he failed to make weight.  So maybe moved up to 149?

Look at  Southern Scuffle matches between North Dakota State kid and Williams and Voinovich.  I think they look close to me. And given it was Williams redshirt year and his better athletic ability, I think Williams  was a threat. 

But I admit, I don't know anything.

12 minutes ago, Michael Moran said:

Alvarez was at 141.  But he left Rutgers because he failed to make weight.  So maybe moved up to 149?

Look at  Southern Scuffle matches between North Dakota State kid and Williams and Voinovich.  I think they look close to me. And given it was Williams redshirt year and his better athletic ability, I think Williams  was a threat. 

But I admit, I don't know anything.

Then why did he wrestle 141 at Midlands?  OSU needed a 141 when they picked him up, they weren't looking for 149.  

6 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Especially since that squad is well known to make kids cut a shit tonne of weight.

I love this one.  Aside from Marstellar trying to make the team, this is a decade(s) old thing.  In recent years they've absolutely been smaller than their opponents, and they've had tons of guys go up in weight.  I think Oliver's sucked out junior year was the end of them cutting huge weight for the sake of it.  

2 hours ago, boconnell said:

I love this one.  Aside from Marstellar trying to make the team, this is a decade(s) old thing.  In recent years they've absolutely been smaller than their opponents, and they've had tons of guys go up in weight.  I think Oliver's sucked out junior year was the end of them cutting huge weight for the sake of it.  

Have you missed every season since Marsteller or something?