• Playwire Ad Area

Who will be the biggest impact transfer of the 2023-2024 season?

Restricting it to transfers that happened this off-season.

Last season Real Woods won biggest impact...transferred from Stanford to Iowa and became the best wrestler on a team that included Spencer Lee.

Nominees:

• Victor Voinovich (Iowa)
  • Shane Griffith (Mich)
  • Chris Cannon (Mich)
  • Michael DeAugstino (Mich)
  • Lucas Davison (Mich)
  • Yaraslau Slavikouski (Rutgers)
  • Aaron Nagao (Penn State)
  • Seth Nevills (Maryland)
  • Mitchell Mesenbrink (Penn State)
  • Bernie Truax (Penn State)

My pick is Griffith, I see him getting back to the top of the podium in the Michigan room.

• Fire 1

9 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

My pick is Griffith, I see him getting back to the top of the podium in the Michigan room.

Problem is he is moving into a weight that also has two returning NCAA champs (Lewis and Starocci).  I'll say Truax scores the most points at NCAA points on that list.  Probably not the biggest impact as PSU would win the title without him. Biggest impact in terms of accounting for the largest % of his team's NCAA point total would be Seth Nevills.  Michigan will have the most NCAA points from transfers collectively and Griffith might be that sweet spot of highest % of team points for a trophy team.

• Fire 1

22 minutes ago, Le duke said:

LoL at Griffith beating Starocci.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He said: "top of the podium in the Michigan room."  

Didnt know rooms had podiums but ...

😉

If we are saying impact from a points added perspective from what they got last season, I am going to say Griffith (if he goes 174, not if he goes 165 and Amine at 174).

My next answer was going to be Nevills of Maryland, but looking at it and Jaron Smith went 1-2 last year at NCAAs.  I think Nevills has a comparable ceiling to Slavikouski.  Slavikouski is replacing a guy in Boone McDermott who went 0-2 at NCAAs.  That makes Slavikouski my 2nd option and Nevills my 3rd option.

Truax at 184 might win it all, but then his points are comparable.

Nagao might get 2nd, but then his points are comparable.

Davison might win it all, but then his points are comparable.

Jack Medley and Cole Mattin both went 2-2 at NCAAs for Michigan, so DeAuggie and Cannon can improve on that, but it won't be much more.  2 wins-ish isn't as much as Slavikouski or Nevills have potentially.

Voinovich might get 6th, but then his points are comparable.

Mesenbrink might AA next year for Penn State... but Facundo might also AA next year for Penn State at 165.  So... nothing is set in stone there.  Mesenbrink could also go 0-2... which would be comparable, right?

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

27 minutes ago, fishbane said:

Problem is he is moving into a weight that also has two returning NCAA champs (Lewis and Starocci).  I'll say Truax scores the most points at NCAA points on that list.  Probably not the biggest impact as PSU would win the title without him. Biggest impact in terms of accounting for the largest % of his team's NCAA point total would be Seth Nevills.  Michigan will have the most NCAA points from transfers collectively and Griffith might be that sweet spot of highest % of team points for a trophy team.

So Griffith is going to compete at 174 and 184 this next season?

I thought it was basically 50/50 on him still going 165 with Amine going 174.  Now you're saying he is going to have to wrestle Stalrocci at 174 and Lewis at 184?

In any case, Griffith won the 165lb bracket that Lewis was attempting to defend as returning 165lb champion.  Lewis did not win that bracket.  Griffith is might be able to beat him - just not at 184.  I don't see Griffith going to 184 this season.

10 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

My next answer was going to be Nevills of Maryland, but looking at it and Jaron Smith went 1-2 last year at NCAAs.  I think Nevills has a comparable ceiling to Slavikouski.  Slavikouski is replacing a guy in Boone McDermott who went 0-2 at NCAAs.  That makes Slavikouski my 2nd option and Nevills my 3rd option.

I think Seth is going to be a semi-finalist in K.C.

11 minutes ago, 82bordeaux said:

I think Seth is going to be a semi-finalist in K.C.

Kerk, Hendrickson, Cassioppi, and Davison are all better than him, so how does that work?

2 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Kerk, Hendrickson, Cassioppi, and Davison are all better than him, so how does that work?

I think that's probably true... on the other hand we have seen little of Nevills the last couple of years. Will be interesting to see how he does in a complete season of competition. 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

2 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Bo Nickal said his high school room had a podium and they used to make getting up on the 1st place spot a part of practice.

There you go ... Jimmy knows what he's talking about.  🙂

4 hours ago, nhs67 said:

So Griffith is going to compete at 174 and 184 this next season?

I thought it was basically 50/50 on him still going 165 with Amine going 174.  Now you're saying he is going to have to wrestle Stalrocci at 174 and Lewis at 184?

In any case, Griffith won the 165lb bracket that Lewis was attempting to defend as returning 165lb champion.  Lewis did not win that bracket.  Griffith is might be able to beat him - just not at 184.  I don't see Griffith going to 184 this season.

Do you mean 184 or 174?  I am not sure if Griffith goes 174 or 165. I think the chances of him going 184 are slim.  Wrestlestat has him at 174 and my statements were assuming he goes up to 174.  My thoughts were that Lewis and Starocci at 174 would be as tough for him to get past as O'Toole and Carr at 165.  He could win either weight, but I think Truax is more likely to win 184 or 197 (Do we know for sure where he will be either?) than Griffith is to win 165 or 174.

• Fire 1

5 hours ago, poorwrestler said:

Nagao will be highest impact imo. The only 133 he can’t beat is Vito. Will Vito be back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure.  Fix and Vito both have another year should they choose to use it.  I'd guess it's possible they switch weights if they choose to wrestle to better align with an Olympic weight, but I'd pick either over Nagao next season.  If they sit out they could use an olympic redshirt and return the next year.  In the long term, Nagao may be he the biggest impact as only he and Vionovich have 3 years remaining and Mesenbrink is the only one with 4.  Nagao could have 3 top 3 finishes at PSU.

56 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

I don't believe he meant Shane was going 184. Someone else...

Lewis?  Is that likely?  Wrestlestat still has him at 174 for next year.  I'd think it would make more sense fore Starocci and Lewis to take an Olympic redshirt for a run at 74kg than bump up to 184lbs/86kg.

Edited by fishbane

1 minute ago, fishbane said:

Lewis?  Is that likely?  Wrestlestat still has him at 174 for next year.  I'd think it would make more sense fore Starocci and Lewis to take an Olympic reshirt for a run at 74kg than  bump up to 184lbs/86kg.

There was some talk about whether Lewis would move to 184.  I'm not sure what that is based on though - fact or fiction?

• Fire 1

3 hours ago, 82bordeaux said:

He beats one.

Who and how?

He is 5-2 the last two years while not even focusing on improving at wrestling.  Who were those two losses to?  Hunter Catka of VTech and Tyrie Houghton of NC State.  Both of them have been focusing on wrestling so I expect them to have improved more amd one of them isn't even the starter for their squad.

Right now I believe I am being very high on him with a R12 expectation.  If he low AAs I will be ecstatic for him.

2 hours ago, fishbane said:

Do you mean 184 or 174?  I am not sure if Griffith goes 174 or 165. I think the chances of him going 184 are slim.  Wrestlestat has him at 174 and my statements were assuming he goes up to 174.  My thoughts were that Lewis and Starocci at 174 would be as tough for him to get past as O'Toole and Carr at 165.  He could win either weight, but I think Truax is more likely to win 184 or 197 (Do we know for sure where he will be either?) than Griffith is to win 165 or 174.

I was just saying it in a dick way that Lewis was going 184.  There was some smoke there for it last year and this year there seems to be more of it and he is a notorious hater of weight cutting.  I hope he goes 184.

1 hour ago, fishbane said:

Lewis?  Is that likely?  Wrestlestat still has him at 174 for next year.  I'd think it would make more sense fore Starocci and Lewis to take an Olympic redshirt for a run at 74kg than bump up to 184lbs/86kg.

Lewis hates cutting.  We aren't going to see him at 74 KG.

1 hour ago, fishbane said:

I'd think it would make more sense fore Starocci and Lewis to take an Olympic redshirt for a run at 74kg than bump up to 184lbs/86kg.

Maybe if they want another college year. No other reason...

Edited by MPhillips

29 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

Maybe if they want another college year. No other reason...

The main motivation would not be holding to a weight class that is too big or too small up to a month before the trials.  It's true that both should have completed their degrees or certainly could be by the end of next season.  I even think 184 is sub optimal if Lewis is fixing to go 86kg.  The word is that Aaron Brooks will go 197 next season for an Olympic run at 86kg.  Amine move up to 197 for the last Olympics.