• Playwire Ad Area

UWW rankings

mspart

FWIW, I completely agree with you.

The points total list of athletes shouldn't be called "Rankings", it should be called "Point Leaders" or something.
It rankles me the same way.

"How on earth do you have "Rankings" without taking head-to-heads into account?!," said I, the first time I saw that list.

It's also not terribly effective, to my mind.

If Dom does nothing but sit on her 45K points from the WCs and goes to Pan Ams and wins, she'll still be the prohibitive favorite to win the "top point getter" award at the end of next year.

There's zero upside to going to ranking tournaments for her.

That seems like a perverse incentive structure to me, reminiscent of the state placer who ducks everyone good all year to keep their seed going into states again.

11.5US

26 minutes ago, Mike Parrish said:

If Dom does nothing but sit on her 45K points from the WCs and goes to Pan Ams and wins, she'll still be the prohibitive favorite to win the "top point getter" award at the end of next year.

Sorry but I don't believe that's right. The points she got from winning worlds this year will immediately reset after 2023 worlds. She'd still have to attend worlds next year and finish in a high position to be a favourite to win the "top point getter".

• Fire 1

11 hours ago, Amir.Sol said:

Sorry but I don't believe that's right. The points she got from winning worlds this year will immediately reset after 2023 worlds. She'd still have to attend worlds next year and finish in a high position to be a favourite to win the "top point getter".

That's probably correct, but isn't in the rules, strangely.

So, to make everyone happy, the rankings on January 1, 2023 will reflect the WC place finishers.

57kg Gilman #2

61kg Gross #5

65kg Yianni #2

70kg Zain #2

74kg Dake #1

79kg GOAT #1

86kg Magic Man #1

92kg Cox #2

97k Captain America #1

125kg Zilmer #7

• Fire 1

On 11/14/2022 at 2:23 PM, Mike Parrish said:

If you win WCs, there's very little incentive for you to go to the ranking tournaments the next year.

You start with 45000+ points carried forward, you are guaranteed to be the 1 seed all year at ANY tournaments you enter, and if you win the Continental Championships, you're going to be guaranteed to be the 1 seed at WCs.

Per the rules linked on an earlier post, the WC (Wrestler A) gets 40,000 and another 10,000 for Continental championships for a total of 50,000. Wrestler B hypothetically gets 32,000 for 2nd at WC and another 10,000 for Continental (different continent) for a total of 42,000. One ranking series win at 8,000 ties him for #1 and a second ranking series win puts him ahead. Last year there were 4 ranking series tourneys. So, there is an incentive to do the ranking series tourneys if you care about seeds. Granted, some wrestlers like Sad don't care about seeds. There's a lot of scenarios like this. Even a guy with a 9th place in the WC can eclipse 50,000. 

28 minutes ago, bdhof said:

Per the rules linked on an earlier post, the WC (Wrestler A) gets 40,000 and another 10,000 for Continental championships for a total of 50,000. Wrestler B hypothetically gets 32,000 for 2nd at WC and another 10,000 for Continental (different continent) for a total of 42,000. One ranking series win at 8,000 ties him for #1 and a second ranking series win puts him ahead. Last year there were 4 ranking series tourneys. So, there is an incentive to do the ranking series tourneys if you care about seeds. Granted, some wrestlers like Sad don't care about seeds. There's a lot of scenarios like this. Even a guy with a 9th place in the WC can eclipse 50,000. 

That's fundamentally correct in the generic instance.

I was coloring it through my lens for 53kgs next year and could have been more clear.

• Fire 1