• Playwire Ad Area

Coaching both Final X participants

Any insight into how this will be/ is done? I’m thinking of the scenario for NLWC this year at a few weights.

Curious how practice goes with Dake/Nolf or Taylor/Brooks in the same room. Who will coach each one at Final X?

Thanks in advance.

6 hours ago, Animal197 said:

Curious how practice goes with Dake/Nolf or Taylor/Brooks in the same room.

I haven't seen any quotes from the actual wrestlers, but I would guess that Dake and Nolf DON'T roll very often in the room. In the recently released video of Taylor, they talk about how Taylor rolls with Dake in the room. I'm not sure how scheduling works for the NLWC, but I imagine it's easy to have guys in the room at different times. I'm sure that Taylor and Brooks have wrestled a lot, but probably not live wrestling so much. Since they are both scheduled for Final X, I imagine that they STOPPED wrestling each other in the room. 

I haven't seen any quotes from the actual wrestlers, but I would guess that Dake and Nolf DON'T roll very often in the room. In the recently released video of Taylor, they talk about how Taylor rolls with Dake in the room. I'm not sure how scheduling works for the NLWC, but I imagine it's easy to have guys in the room at different times. I'm sure that Taylor and Brooks have wrestled a lot, but probably not live wrestling so much. Since they are both scheduled for Final X, I imagine that they STOPPED wrestling each other in the room. 

Brooks was Taylor’s main training partner prior to and in Tokyo in 2021.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Le duke said:

Brooks was Taylor’s main training partner prior to and in Tokyo in 2021.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think this is a huge reason Brooks is right up there with his underhook game.  He had to simulate the best in the world and got to be pretty damn good.  He might even be Hidlay good with that underhook series.

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

My first gut reaction was that maybe KD and DT are over at M2 for the next few weeks, but then I got to thinking "Why would the WC head somewhere else?"  That makes me think they have different time slots.  I think they might even let the wrestlers choose what they focus on, and not actually coach them up.

I think this is a huge reason Brooks is right up there with his underhook game.  He had to simulate the best in the world and got to be pretty damn good.  He might even be Hidlay good with that underhook series.

I think this is accurate but begs the question… If Brooks was coached to simulate Taylor’s opponent to help Taylor prepare, are the coaches still doing that with teammates facing each other? Are the NLWC coaches teaching Brooks how to defend against Taylor’s strengths and looking for weaknesses in Taylor’s game (if there are any lol) and trying to teach Brooks how to exploit that? If so, it would seem like a conflict of interests. If not, it’s a disservice to Brooks (and vice versa for Taylor).

56 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

I think this is accurate but begs the question… If Brooks was coached to simulate Taylor’s opponent to help Taylor prepare, are the coaches still doing that with teammates facing each other? Are the NLWC coaches teaching Brooks how to defend against Taylor’s strengths and looking for weaknesses in Taylor’s game (if there are any lol) and trying to teach Brooks how to exploit that? If so, it would seem like a conflict of interests. If not, it’s a disservice to Brooks (and vice versa for Taylor).

Honestly Brooks and Taylor already know each other's strengths and weaknesses intimately.  They don't need to coaches to tell them what to work on.  I imagine it is more of them telling to coaches what they want to work on.  From there they are probably very tight-lipped about individual coaching strategies.

NLWC and the guys leading them aren't the Brands Bros.  They will be discreet and give them their fair shot.  Furthermore I imagine that Brooks will STILL be Taylor's +1 at Worlds this year even after (if) he beats him.  It is a different culture than the kill or be killed and it is why I don't think Stalrocci fits the mold anymore.  Sure he wins.  That is it.  His mentality is a very selfish mentality to approach and I think that is why you don't see Nolf or Dake or any other NLWC (or Penn State) guy saying many things good about his character - where they do about each other and everyone else.

10 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Honestly Brooks and Taylor already know each other's strengths and weaknesses intimately.  They don't need to coaches to tell them what to work on.  I imagine it is more of them telling to coaches what they want to work on.  From there they are probably very tight-lipped about individual coaching strategies.

NLWC and the guys leading them aren't the Brands Bros.  They will be discreet and give them their fair shot.  Furthermore I imagine that Brooks will STILL be Taylor's +1 at Worlds this year even after (if) he beats him.  It is a different culture than the kill or be killed 

It didn't look this way with Nickal vs. Taylor...

• Fire 2

Just now, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

It didn't look this way with Nickal vs. Taylor...

How do you mean?

Nickal was already part-time.  That is apples and oranges.  Both are a fruit, but one deserved the focus there.  AB is full-time.

Even so, with DT and AB, DT deserves the focus more.  He is the defending WC.

1 minute ago, nhs67 said:

How do you mean?

Nickal was already part-time.  That is apples and oranges.  Both are a fruit, but one deserved the focus there.  AB is full-time.

Even so, with DT and AB, DT deserves the focus more.  He is the defending WC.

Before, during, and after the Taylor match, Nickal looked like he was part of someone else's plan that he was not particularly happy with.  This followed his very joyful spanking of Zahid.  

I don't think he was part time.  He made OTT finals, but that was as far as he was being allowed to go...

i have been avoiding commenting mostly because of i always have a hard time when people talk about underhooks in the womens style...

but...

if everything was so harmonious and on the up and up at NLWC, i have to think bo would have been told taylor was too injured to wrestle 86 several years ago...

so...

Clueless Movie Whatever GIF by filmeditor

• Fire 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

16 minutes ago, LJB said:

i have been avoiding commenting mostly because of i always have a hard time when people talk about underhooks in the womens style...

but...

if everything was so harmonious and on the up and up at NLWC, i have to think bo would have been told taylor was too injured to wrestle 86 several years ago...

so...

Clueless Movie Whatever GIF by filmeditor

These are both fairly good points that I conveniently forgot.

I don't really have a defense for it.  The only thing I might think is that maybe Nickal wasn't on the up and up with the senior coaching staff like Brooks is.

• Fire 2

1 hour ago, LJB said:

but...

so...

Bingo. DT did him dirty.

i am an idiot on the internet

you think he weighed in at 87.5kg to be totally ineffective against cox all the while knowing that downey was going to just be gifted the spot at Final X?

if so...

something about a bridge...

Arizona ocean front property...

elevator pass...

• Fire 1

18 hours ago, mspart said:

Wouldn't Bo just have known?  I would think so if they are in the same room beating up on each other, or not because Taylor was too injured. 

mspart

No way he knew, it’s the other Bo who “knows”

On 5/19/2023 at 4:33 PM, LJB said:

rizona ocean front property...

21 minutes ago, mspart said:

It could happen!!

5 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

Maybe if the state dries up and blows over to the coast...:classic_huh:

More likely- the coast comes over to them.