• Playwire Ad Area

Iowa gambling story is a nothingburger

From my source it's 2 non-starter wrestlers on the Hawkeye team.  I think they get suspended a semester and are allowed to rejoin in the spring.  It will have zero impact on the Hawkeyes dual or tournament performances.

For the record, I think students should be allowed to gamble freely provided they are of age and they aren't wagering against themselves in games they actually participate in.  Problems only arise if athletes wager against themselves since they can throw a game.  Betting on yourself to win poses no conflicts.

Edited by Jimmy Cinnabon

40 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

From my source it's 2 non-starter wrestlers on the Hawkeye team.  I think they get suspended a semester and are allowed to rejoin in the spring.  It will have zero impact on the Hawkeyes dual or tournament performances.

For the record, I think students should be allowed to gamble freely provided they are of age and they aren't wagering against themselves in games they actually participate in.  Problems only arise if athletes wager against themselves since they can throw a game.  Betting on yourself to win poses no conflicts.

Then why was the Alabama coach fired?

44 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Ask Pete Rose how that worked out for him.

As close knit a community as athletes tend to be at a university, how can you say someone wouldn't be able to either influence an outcome of a particular contest or be able to obtain substantial insider info that would give them a leg up on the odds?

Its a tough call not to allow kids to imbibe in an activity that is legal in their state, assuming they are of appropriate age. But a typical gambler betting on a professional sport would be hard pressed to run across a member of that team at the cafeteria line at the dorm. Their sphere of influence is mitigated by the exclusivity of the players. Not so much at a college athletic department. 

Not sure how it would be accomplished, but to ensure a buffer within an athletic department I would like to see limits on the geographical area for which someone can make a bet if they are a college athlete. Say, not within your state or any adjacent state. In hopes of reducing the temptation to influence outcomes from your home or neighboring schools. 

College athletes should not be allowed to bet on ANY college sport. They have too many inside connections even if they aren't on the same college team. Think of how many off season dual teams wrestlers have been on and friends they have throughout the sport. How many Iowa non-starters could send a buddy info that Spencer is only 50% and to bet against him pretty easily?

• Fire 1

37 minutes ago, ionel said:

Then why was the Alabama coach fired?

He had insider information that his listed starting pitcher was not going to make the start, then he called someone else to place bets against his own team:  betting on his team to lose.

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

Just now, jchapman said:

He had insider information that his listed starting pitcher was not going to make the start, then he called someone else to place bets against his own team:  betting on his team to lose.

And thus no different than if a student athlete had done the same.

33 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I giggled when I read this.

Giggled?  I laughed so hard I sharted in a conference call with some rather high up UK gvmnt officials.

• Fire 1
  • Haha 2

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

4 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Pay your gambling debts then. 

6 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

It depends on how the punishment comes down. You assume it will be on the individuals, but since the infractions spanr multiple athletes and staff across multiple sports it's also likely that the NCAA punishes Iowa Athletics for a culture of noncompliance, which could lead to recruiting and postseason bans. If that looks to be the case, Barta will probably self-impose some sort of sanction on the offending sports before the NCAA makes a ruling. Not having a postseason could be really bad news and may affect recruiting, transfers, and NIL money.

• Stalling 1

23 minutes ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

It depends on how the punishment comes down. You assume it will be on the individuals, but since the infractions spanr multiple athletes and staff across multiple sports it's also likely that the NCAA punishes Iowa Athletics for a culture of noncompliance, which could lead to recruiting and postseason bans. If that looks to be the case, Barta will probably self-impose some sort of sanction on the offending sports before the NCAA makes a ruling. Not having a postseason could be really bad news and may affect recruiting, transfers, and NIL money.

Shouldn't Barta be gone if it's a "culture of noncompliance"?

6 minutes ago, BlacknGold said:

Was this Jimmy's source the whole time? 😂

6 hours ago, ionel said:

et-nom-home

7 minutes ago, BlacknGold said:

Was this Jimmy's source the whole time? 😂

Pretty sure ... look at it ... a better source than minnow don't ya think? 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Shouldn't Barta be gone if it's a "culture of noncompliance"?

Maybe? We don't know the full story yet, but what is known is that over 100 individuals across 5 sports have been implicated, 26 of which are current athletes, and an employee from the Iowa Athletics Department. The IBOR is involved and has recommended that the University bring in outside legal counsel to help manage an investigation into possible criminal conduct (related to sports betting) and NCAA violations, and avise the administration on navigating the process with the NCAA. The buck stops with Barta, so who knows if his job is safe.

11 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Giggled?  I laughed so hard I sharted in a conference call with some rather high up UK gvmnt officials.

Wow!!  So cool.  The same thing happened to me, I was out on a date with Gisele Bundchen at the time and it was so embarrassing. 

3 hours ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

Maybe? We don't know the full story yet, but what is known is that over 100 individuals across 5 sports have been implicated, 26 of which are current athletes, and an employee from the Iowa Athletics Department. The IBOR is involved and has recommended that the University bring in outside legal counsel to help manage an investigation into possible criminal conduct (related to sports betting) and NCAA violations, and avise the administration on navigating the process with the NCAA. The buck stops with Barta, so who knows if his job is safe.

100 individuals?  Dang

1 hour ago, dragit said:

Wow!!  So cool.  The same thing happened to me, I was out on a date with Gisele Bundchen at the time and it was so embarrassing. 

Buuullshit.

• Haha 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me