• Playwire Ad Area

Is Cody Chittum the favorite next year at 157?

Chittum leaving Iowa was inevitable.  Which is why I mentioned he should go the Cejudo route.  Anyone who had followed his story knew this would happen. 

Track record:

Cleveland, TN School- average wrestling program.  Left for greener pastures.

McCallie private school- below average wrestling program.  Left for greener pastures.

Blair- best high school program in the country.  Left for greener pastures.

3-4 years of home school and only training for major events- dad has complete autonomy.  

Went back to Cleveland High School for a semester.  Won a state championship. Left for greener pastures.

Committed to Minnesota. solid college program. Purchased an apartment there and trained for a year with the club. Left for greener pastures. 

Shopped around to every top 5 program in the country. 

Committed to Iowa but did not want to enroll. 2nd best college program. Leaving for greener pastures...

• Fire 1

34 minutes ago, tidepod said:

Chittum leaving Iowa was inevitable.  Which is why I mentioned he should go the Cejudo route.  Anyone who had followed his story knew this would happen. 

Track record:

McCallie private school- below average wrestling program.  Left for greener pastures.

3-4 years of home school and only training for major events- dad has complete autonomy.  

Went back to Cleveland High School for a semester.  Won a state championship. Left for greener pastures.

Committed to Minnesota. solid college program. Purchased an apartment there and trained for a year with the club. Left for greener pastures. 

Committed to Iowa but did not want to enroll. 2nd best college program. Leaving for greener pastures...

That is a very unique path

• Fire 1

52 minutes ago, tidepod said:

Track record:

I'll bite.  He's clearly not going to Penn State given they have Haines and Messenbrink.  What pastures are greener than Iowa?

20 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

I'll bite.  He's clearly not going to Penn State given they have Haines and Messenbrink.  What pastures are greener than Iowa?

Well given the "greener pastures" from Blair were being homeschooled, maybe the dad is going to petition the NCAA to allow homeschooled athletes into a qualifying tournament?

1 hour ago, tidepod said:

Track record:

Its always amazing to me to read these forums and see just how far behind the rest of country Tennessee is. Cleveland is the best team in the state and has been for 25 years. They're better funded than any other team here and it isnt really close. 

Yet they struggle to do anything nationally. I think the highest they were ranked last year was like 28th nationally. Its mind bottling. 

Sorry, back to college wrestling talk now. 

Edited by TNwrestling
  • Fire 1

3 minutes ago, TNwrestling said:

Cleveland is the best team in the state and has been for 25 years.

I believe the reason Cleveland has been dominating in Tennessee for 25 years and will continue to struggle nationally is that they are getting the best wrestlers from that area but it's minimal compared to nationally. Cleveland has open enrollment where students in the surrounding areas can enroll to go to Cleveland which makes it not really a public school. Interesting discussion but yes back to college wrestling

5 minutes ago, TNwrestling said:

Its always amazing to me to read these forums and see just how far behind the rest of country Tennessee is. Cleveland is the best team in the state and has been for 25 years. They're better funded than any other team here and it isnt really close. 

Yet they struggle to do anything nationally. I think the highest they were ranked last year was like 28th nationally. Its mind bottling

Boggling**

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

Also, you gents are being extremely hard on TN wrestling if you think #28 Nationally is bad.

Unless you are purposely trolling.

• Fire 1

2 minutes ago, TNwrestling said:

Mind bottling, you know, like when your mind gets trapped in a bottle. 

Never heard of mind bottling.  Even google corrects it to mind boggling and then tells me I should correct you because you are my friend.

Screenshots_2023-05-09-12-33-43.png

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Also, you gents are being extremely hard on TN wrestling if you think #28 Nationally is bad.

Unless you are purposely trolling.

Not trolling, but I do believe the SouthEast has a large amount of untapped potential that tends to be growing and getting more predominant every year which is exciting. I think Georgia and TN are going to continue to grow and start producing more and more high level wrestlers at the college level

2 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

How is ISU better than Iowa in any sense relevant to wrestling?

For the individual it may be better than Iowa, Chittum will be there as a 157 with Paniro Johnson below him and David Carr above him. Those are tougher training partners than at Iowa, as well as adding Brent Metcalf as another person who brings Iowa's background in a different environment.

• Fire 2

19 minutes ago, TNwrestling said:

Yet they struggle to do anything nationally. I think the highest they were ranked last year was like 28th nationally. Its mind bottling. 

Had to pull up the records, but it seems TNwrestling is being a bit disingenuous.  Cleveland won 10 titles in the last 25 years and Bradley Central won 11.  Tennessee also has schools that go to National Preps and are not in Cleveland's state tournament.  No record of them ever being ranked... 

The point of the post was to point out that Chittum has a strong future in freestyle and probably should not waste time going to college.  School hasn't worked for him up to this point.