• Playwire Ad Area

Is Cody Chittum the favorite next year at 157?

Just practicing a bit of trolling old chap, only way to improve is with some off-season practice.  Just poking some fun at the being beat in the room thing. I know the story behind the lack of final big board rating. Just makes for a "fun" talking point about Brands excellent coaching abilities when he places. I think one thing he's got going for him is 157 is not especially deep. 

Chittum lost to Drew Roberts (gopher) his last high school loss. Then he got smoked by Jamison at the US open not too long after. Chittums father has a large influence In where he landed (as with most top prospects) and in their last visit to MN he realized that Roberts was on the team as well. That scared the whole commitment. It wasn’t the sole reason, but it was a big part of it.

NOW, the part that I don’t get is Jamison, Roberts, etc have stayed lower weight wise and Chittum has grown into a 157 (I think) and would still fit the roster. Money/teammate relationships came in to play big time at that point and Eggum couldn’t seal the deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Fire 1

14 hours ago, poorwrestler said:

It comes off as sour grapes from someone like me but yeah, I think Chittum is going to struggle more at the college level than most realize. Among other things I think he’s a better freestyle guy than folk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's a pure grinder already, that doesn't translate well to college.

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

Chittum should go the Henry Cejudo route.  He's already 21 and hasn't wrestled a college match.  He hasn't been enrolled in a school for 4-5 years now.  He shows up to random tournaments when he feels like it and has avoided a full folkstyle season since his Blair days.  He looks like he has a bright future in freestyle. 

10 hours ago, Hammerlock3 said:

He's a pure grinder already, that doesn't translate well to college.

He might as well quit now and get it over with. There are no examples of guys using pace and tenacity to have success as the college level (DeSanto). 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, tidepod said:

Chittum should go the Henry Cejudo route.  He's already 21 and hasn't wrestled a college match.  He hasn't been enrolled in a school for 4-5 years now.  He shows up to random tournaments when he feels like it and has avoided a full folkstyle season since his Blair days.  He looks like he has a bright future in freestyle. 

For the sake of accuracy, Chittum just turned 20 this past March. Born March 28, 2003. 

• Fire 1

8 minutes ago, BlacknGold said:

Chittum is a stud. Let's not forget Drake Ayala thought he could beat Spencer last year, then got annihilated in like 45 seconds. All the talk about Cody getting smashed by teammates is just smoke at this point

When Jamison techs you (almost exactly 1 year ago)  there is probably some fire there with the smoke. 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

7 hours ago, Gus said:

He might as well quit now and get it over with. There are no examples of guys using pace and tenacity to have success as the college level (DeSanto). 

In highschool there should be points without having to wear the guy down for 4 mintues. Sorry to break it to you.

2 hours ago, Hammerlock3 said:

In highschool there should be points without having to wear the guy down for 4 mintues. Sorry to break it to you.

Sorry to break it to you but when the ranking services rank a kid #1 in the country he doesn’t usually suck. 

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, Gus said:

Sorry to break it to you but when the ranking services rank a kid #1 in the country he doesn’t usually suck. 

when did i say he sucked? Don't lie to win arguments on the forum its bad for the soul.

Edited by Hammerlock3

17 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

when did i say he sucked? Don't lie to win arguments on the forum its bad for the soul.

Okay, how about this… usually when a recruit is ranked #1 in the county he is a hammer and it does translate well to college. 

• Fire 1

17 minutes ago, Gus said:

Okay, how about this… usually when a recruit is ranked #1 in the county he is a hammer and it does translate well to college. 

obviously, but i was saying his grinder style wouldn't translate well to a situation where almost everyone is big, strong, and in shape. 

skill and athleticism matter, thats what you are arguing against. 

On 5/6/2023 at 9:24 PM, Hammerlock3 said:

obviously, but i was saying his grinder style wouldn't translate well to a situation where almost everyone is big, strong, and in shape. 

skill and athleticism matter, thats what you are arguing against. 

I agree that skill and athleticism matter. I just happen to think he has plenty of both and his senior level freestyle results back that up. 

2 minutes ago, RandolphTJones said:

Is there where the loyalty factor comes into play and Chittum is leaving due to all the activity Iowa is doing or attempting to do through the portal?

This would be a huge loss for Iowa. Chittum is going to be very good wherever he ends up.

24 minutes ago, RandolphTJones said:

Is there where the loyalty factor comes into play and Chittum is leaving due to all the activity Iowa is doing or attempting to do through the portal?

Do not believe the option of the portal is even available for Chittum as he is not a rostered athlete. Not sure where that leaves him in terms of NLI, but with the portal closing on May 7 it may complicate things. It could very well be he has no restrictions as well because he is not a listed athlete. 

41 minutes ago, Gus said:

This would be a huge loss for Iowa. Chittum is going to be very good wherever he ends up.

Ive heard both stories. He is and has. Im pretty sure the reasoning is because of Ferrari. 

My guess is Chittum stays there and Ferrari ends up at Rutgers. 

52 minutes ago, RandolphTJones said:

So the guy that de-committed from a different school and it seems has not even taken a class at Iowa yet wants loyalty?

Edited by 1032004
  • Fire 2

8 minutes ago, TNwrestling said:

Ive heard both stories. He is and has. Im pretty sure the reasoning is because of Ferrari. 

My guess is Chittum stays there and Ferrari ends up at Rutgers. 

There was talk of Kennedy moving to 157 if they picked up Shane Griffith. I am wondering if that miffed Chittum enough to head for the door.

The idea that Anthony Ferrari, a guy that will probably never wrestle a match for Iowa, is the reason for Chittum leaving seems strange to me.