• Playwire Ad Area

UWW Cancels World Cups

What?

7 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

https://uww.org/article/uww-cancels-2023-world-cups

UWW cancels World Cups to have been held in Tehran and Coralville over a concern that no one will show.

Nobody will show as in countries to compete?

4 minutes ago, jchapman said:

They are physically unable to hold the competitions.  Their body simply will not allow it.

Can someone please explain?  Pretend like you're talking to an eight year old... in fact don't pretend.  Act like I can't go to the link posted above and explain, please.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

6 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

What?

Can someone please explain?  Pretend like you're talking to an eight year old... in fact don't pretend.  Act like I can't go to the link posted above and explain, please.

The Iraqi team thinks it's too dangerous to travel to Iowa City.

12 minutes ago, 82bordeaux said:

The Iraqi team thinks it's too dangerous to travel to Iowa City.

Iraqi or Irani?

Didn't they just go there?

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

25 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

What?

From the article:

The decision to cancel the World Cups was made after careful consideration and analysis of the challenges and complexities involved in organizing such high-profile events during a pre-Olympic year. With many countries focusing on preparing their wrestlers for the 2024 Olympics in Paris, the potential lack of participation in the World Cups in 2023 was a major concern for UWW. Additionally, the World Championships in Belgrade, scheduled for September 2023, would have added further pressure on countries.

The lack of local support to host the events during November and December was also a contributing factor in the decision by the Bureau to cancel the World Cups. Finding local organizing committees to host the team competition has proven to be a significant challenge.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

Unfortunately, most of the world thinks the World Cup is a nuisance. I don't believe there is the tradition of dual meet competition elsewhere as there is here. Too bad - some of the past US-USSR duals were absolute classics.

Maybe scheduling the World Cup every four years - in Year of the Olympic quad - would be helpful? Host is in the next Olympic site as a test event?

Dan McDonald, Penn '93
danmc167@yahoo.com

3 hours ago, Tom formerly Tofurky said:

We went as a group to Coralville last December, and it seemed to be packed, but I don't remember. @Jason Bryant, do you remember what the Xtream Center looked like from your vantage point? I must not have been paying attention closely enough.

Wasn't full, but wasn't empty. I don't think they're primarily concerned with the fan turnout, but the required acceptance to compete is problematic for federations because of the potential fines for not competing. Serbia got COVID just before leaving for Baku, so they bailed there without penalty (Greco). 

This would be just over a month after the 2023 Worlds and in the run-up to continental and world Olympic qualifiers. International athletes don't compete as regularly as American college athletes do, so their training cycles differ as well as the funding some of these federations have - getting to the U.S. is NOT cheap and dealing with visas and passports, etc. has also been problematic for several countries over the years. 

I thought they were moderately well-attended. I was at both Baku for Greco and Coralville for freestyle and felt the attendance was fine. Was it full in Coralville? No. Was it full in Baku? Yes, although the size of the venues differ. I think it's more logistics and cost playing a factor. There's no perfect place on the calendar to get the world's best to compete in something that doesn't directly correlate to Olympic qualifying in 2023-24. 

• Fire 2

Insert catchy tagline here.