• Playwire Ad Area

Mensha-Stock

de4856

21 hours ago, Mike Parrish said:

Word on the ether is that she has retired.

That would be crazy since she's been the favorite in my mind to win another world title this year and another Olympic title in '24, but that's life.  Especially when you're an older athlete and grown up things happen.

I kept wondering why Otoguro wasn't wrestling since the Olympics.  I finally found out last December when he won the Emperor's Cup.  He said that he'd lost all motivation after winning the Olympic title because he had achieved his dream and nothing else to shoot for.  He was still practicing every day, but didn't want to compete in Oslo or Belgrade.

• Fire 1

i have been around Tara for several years...

never have had a real conversation or anything, but, know people who she knew so we ended up in the same rooms several times...

she is a sweetheart and has an infectiously happy and positive personality...

i wish her well in whatever she chooses to do for the rest of her time here...

• Fire 1

12 hours ago, CA_Wrestler said:

That would be crazy since she's been the favorite in my mind to win another world title this year and another Olympic title in '24, but that's life.  Especially when you're an older athlete and grown up things happen.

I kept wondering why Otoguro wasn't wrestling since the Olympics.  I finally found out last December when he won the Emperor's Cup.  He said that he'd lost all motivation after winning the Olympic title because he had achieved his dream and nothing else to shoot for.  He was still practicing every day, but didn't want to compete in Oslo or Belgrade.

Had been wondering about Otoguro as well. At least he is practicing every day. If he changes his mind 6-12 months from now right before the Olympics, he’ll hopefully be near the level where he was before.

• Fire 1

25 minutes ago, BuckyBadger said:

Had been wondering about Otoguro as well. At least he is practicing every day. If he changes his mind 6-12 months from now right before the Olympics, he’ll hopefully be near the level where he was before.

He'll be ready for the World Championships this year and the Olympics.  Since we haven't seen him compete internationally for a while, it's hard to tell where he's at.

So, this brings up another question at WFS 68kg.....I can't remember, but who else would be contending for the spot that could actually medal?  I really think Amit should drop down,  but I don't really know if she cuts weight well.  She might be better off at 76kg because I have no clue.

7 minutes ago, CA_Wrestler said:

He'll be ready for the World Championships this year and the Olympics.  Since we haven't seen him compete internationally for a while, it's hard to tell where he's at.

So, this brings up another question at WFS 68kg.....I can't remember, but who else would be contending for the spot that could actually medal?  I really think Amit should drop down,  but I don't really know if she cuts weight well.  She might be better off at 76kg because I have no clue.

Elor is likely staying at 72s until Paris.

Molinari
Piearcey
Glaude

are the three most likely to win the US Open.

Molinari has a world bronze to her name.

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, Mike Parrish said:

Elor is likely staying at 72s until Paris.

Molinari
Piearcey
Glaude

are the three most likely to win the US Open.

Molinari has a world bronze to her name.

72kg  is going to be a wasteland as far as top wrestlers go since all of the other top contenders dropped to 68 or went up to 76 because of Olympic aspirations.

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, CA_Wrestler said:

72kg  is going to be a wasteland as far as top wrestlers go since all of the other top contenders dropped to 68 or went up to 76 because of Olympic aspirations.

All the non-Olympic weights are going to empty.

Elor will likely drop given the overall weakness of 68s.
I don't see anybody stopping her from taking the spot.

Winchester will likely drop to 53s. 
Villaescusa as well.
Fearnside is a question.
Burkert will likely go up to 57s.
I see most of the good 59s will go up to 62s since dropping to take on Maroulis seems tough.

65s is unsettled and is hard to predict.
Velte, Kilty, Bruntil will all have to look for a home.
If Elor and Molinari are up at 68, 62s might look easier.

Edited by Mike Parrish
  • Fire 1

Yes, this is the way of it.    UWW did have a World competition for the other weights after the Olympics one year.   I think they should keep that up.   Its how Streebler got his 2016 World Championship.   I have no idea why the IOC would have any issue with doing that again. 

mspart