• Playwire Ad Area

Bill Zadick to OU

SoonerKing

Just now, TexRef said:

I did post that and I was wondering what the seasoned veterans of the this forum (like yourself) would say. 

It appears that filling the OU position might be a lot harder than originally thought. 

I wasn't even aware. I would have been shocked had it happened.

Well... my hope to stir pot didn't come to fruition. Joe C has a sticky situation. OU needs to find the guy that can lead. Not just coach the wrestlers but LEAD the program. As a huge fan I'm frustrated that nothing settled yet but I do realize that they need to get this right. The person needs to be have a plan not only on getting talent but also running of the RTC, getting fans at matches, and donors to support. I pray we get this right. 

• Fire 1

23 minutes ago, SoonerKing said:

Well... my hope to stir pot didn't come to fruition. Joe C has a sticky situation. OU needs to find the guy that can lead. Not just coach the wrestlers but LEAD the program. As a huge fan I'm frustrated that nothing settled yet but I do realize that they need to get this right. The person needs to be have a plan not only on getting talent but also running of the RTC, getting fans at matches, and donors to support. I pray we get this right. 

Wait. So are you saying that this thread, including the original post saying that OU and its administrators "have now landed Bill Zadick," has zero factual basis; and your purpose in starting it was to somehow get OU to want to hire Zadick and Zadick to want the job?

I can't speak to Roselli's management skills but Cody wasn't exactly chopped liver at American. He built a nice program there. So the last two highly regarded coaches have been fired and I seem to remember many wanting Spates pushed out at the end of his tenure. Oklahoma isn't the recruiting hotbed it once was, it gets OSU's leftovers, the surrounding states are recruiting wastelands and the the flagship universities of Ohio and PA are now perennial powers, further limiting potential recruits. Compounded with sky-high expectations, this is a risky position to take on for any established coach.

Anyone who has a good thing going will think twice about taking this position, regardless of the pay and resources. The grass isn't always greener, especially in Oklahoma.

They could have waited until after 2024 to fire Roselli to see if they could land one of the newly retired legends as HC. Wrestling success is predicated on recruiting and a Dake or Taylor will be able to draw plenty of talent.

At this point, it seems like their best bet might be to land someone with strong OU ties but Storniolo is the only HC that I can think of off the top of my head from OU. Frayer is well-respected but would he want to take it given the expectations and obvious hurdles?

• Fire 1

16 hours ago, TexRef said:

I think OU is working hard to find a new coach. The question is do they go after an established coach like Manning or a young coach that is on the right path, such as Gavin? 

OU has completely screwed this entire search up, they have not "worked hard".  They knew Lou was not the guy last year, but they kept "hanging on" then. Then he gets fired or uhhhh "resigned".  They are talking to Koll, he teases them because of his ties to Spates, who was driving the Koll hire along with Leonard.  Koll nods and says, I love it here, my wife hates it in Cali.  OU offers and he says let me think on it, meanwhile texting all around to let the world know he was offered the job.  Genius move and gets what he wants from Stanford and pulls his name.  SO, next big donor steps up and wants Nickerson, and so they bring him on....and then there is a ton of backlash, saying they don't want Nickerson.  Then the Hahn offer, and he turns it down. I am trying to confirm the Maple offer, if that is true, OU F*cked that up, by not approaching him from the rip.  He would have really considered it, I think, but now he is like the fat girl at the punch bowl and being asked to dance because nobody is left.  TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE, is how OU has handled this. Meanwhile, you have Fugitt getting calls left and right to come to their school, because of how F'd up OU is right now.  That is OU's biggest recruit in my opinion, and they are gonna end up losing him if they don't get their shit together. 

• Fire 1

33 minutes ago, H82Lose said:

OU has completely screwed this entire search up, they have not "worked hard".  They knew Lou was not the guy last year, but they kept "hanging on" then. Then he gets fired or uhhhh "resigned".  They are talking to Koll, he teases them because of his ties to Spates, who was driving the Koll hire along with Leonard.  Koll nods and says, I love it here, my wife hates it in Cali.  OU offers and he says let me think on it, meanwhile texting all around to let the world know he was offered the job.  Genius move and gets what he wants from Stanford and pulls his name.  SO, next big donor steps up and wants Nickerson, and so they bring him on....and then there is a ton of backlash, saying they don't want Nickerson.  Then the Hahn offer, and he turns it down. I am trying to confirm the Maple offer, if that is true, OU F*cked that up, by not approaching him from the rip.  He would have really considered it, I think, but now he is like the fat girl at the punch bowl and being asked to dance because nobody is left.  TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE, is how OU has handled this. Meanwhile, you have Fugitt getting calls left and right to come to their school, because of how F'd up OU is right now.  That is OU's biggest recruit in my opinion, and they are gonna end up losing him if they don't get their shit together. 

Yep.... My guess is that they end with someone who is very dissatisfied where they are or has run their course in their current program and need a new start. 

• Fire 1

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

On 4/22/2023 at 8:27 AM, SoonerKing said:

WOW big news. Give Castiglione and the University credit. They went BIG and barely missed with Rob Koll but have now landed Bill Zadick to leave Colorado Springs and lead the Sooners. What a revelation!

So this is complete BS …this forum is going to die quickly if posts like this are a thing.

18 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Yep.... My guess is that they end with someone who is very dissatisfied where they are or has run their course in their current program and need a new start. 

100%. I cannot, and I repeat, I cannot believe they have screwed this up so bad. I said from the beginning, reach out to 10-15 wishlist candidates. Bring them in, if they will talk to you, and ask some questions and narrow it down.  They had in their heads, we want a HC with experience, we are not talking to anyone else.  Well, look how the hell that worked out.  NOW, you are going to get many guys worth a damn, using OU to get raises, watch.  Confirmed, Kendric did get offered and confirmed he turned it down....for good reason, but turned it down.  

15 minutes ago, Dark Energy said:

So this is complete BS …this forum is going to die quickly if posts like this are a thing.

honestly, when I read it, it pissed me off because I knew it was a blatant made up lie.  I have been in forums, when you have dipshits that make up rumors, it is autoban. It ruins a lot of the forums.  I told you guys Spratley was entering portal before it happened, and I also said OSU was where he would land because of Fix and he was to get into animal medicine.  Most prolly thought, ok, roll eyes....

1 hour ago, SoonerKing said:

100% admitted made it up. It did get H82Lose talking and his talking is very accurate. Not any BS or fabrication. Kudos! 

Can you indicate where you "admitted," which post on page one? 

11 minutes ago, LJB said:

i heard late last week that zaddick was in talks...

and nickerson was 100% made an offer and immediately pulled...

it was substantial...

A single A donor wanted Nickerson, I did not know an offer was made. I do know that others found out he was on campus and folks started calling and threatening money if Nickerson was made HC. Here was my list I sent a major donor when Lou was gone: 

My list to call and bring in were: Frayer, Maple, Coleman, Burroughs, Cunningham, Clemson, Schwab, Metcalf, Pop, Stieber, Ian Miller, 

HC Frayer

ASST Brewer

ASST Howe or Ian Miller 

ASST Gwiz (some sort of mix of coach/RTC to get him paid) 

RTC Sam Haz 

• Fire 1

24 minutes ago, H82Lose said:

A single A donor wanted Nickerson, I did not know an offer was made. I do know that others found out he was on campus and folks started calling and threatening money if Nickerson was made HC. Here was my list I sent a major donor when Lou was gone: 

My list to call and bring in were: Frayer, Maple, Coleman, Burroughs, Cunningham, Clemson, Schwab, Metcalf, Pop, Stieber, Ian Miller, 

HC Frayer

ASST Brewer

ASST Howe or Ian Miller 

ASST Gwiz (some sort of mix of coach/RTC to get him paid) 

RTC Sam Haz 

Solid staff

1 hour ago, H82Lose said:

I do know that others found out he was on campus and folks started calling and threatening money if Nickerson was made HC.

Why the booster hate against Nickerson? What did he do to OU that sat in such a bad way?

• Fire 1

i am an idiot on the internet

12 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Why the booster hate against Nickerson? What did he do to OU that sat in such a bad way?

No "Hate" I think it is more of, they felt there were better coaches out there.  I think MANY want OU ties to the program to get the history back. ie. Oklahoma football currently. 

• Fire 1