• Playwire Ad Area

Mizzou+AWA

MizzouFan01

Disclaimer I have zero inside information regarding both the school and the club. However with Messinbrink now going to PSU along with the Marisolas, I feel we as Mizzou fans should be worried. While we have gotten several great wrestlers from AWA, with the recent PSU additions, what once was a great pipeline could/might be now opening to other schools. First and foremost I don’t blame any wrestler going to PSU, but it sure was nice, outside of UNI that we got most most of them. I don’t actually know if Smith was recruiting the twins, but we were in on Mitch while he was in the portal. I hope we were in the initial process before CBU but I don’t know. Just seem what once great chances we land the top AWA talent has diminished. I could be way off, but I damn sure  not as confident as I once was. 

Edited by MizzouFan01

Eh. AWA was bound to eventually put out too many good kids to go to one school. Once you see what Whiting and Sinclair do at a d1 level you’ll be less worried.

The one I hope Minnesota can steal from AWA is Kellen Wolbert when he’s old enough. Very bright future for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, poorwrestler said:

Eh. AWA was bound to eventually put out too many good kids to go to one school. Once you see what Whiting and Sinclair do at a d1 level you’ll be less worried.

The one I hope Minnesota can steal from AWA is Kellen Wolbert when he’s old enough. Very bright future for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m absolutely excited to see what Whitting and Aeoden do in a Tiger singlet. We have a log jam in the upper weights, with Rocky, Hawks, Harmon Whiting and Aeoden. Interested to see how it shakes out. Minnesota has Millard coming from AWA, it was down to them and Mizzou I believe. As far as Wolbert goes, I haven’t heard much on him recruiting wise. From what I’ve seen he’s a beast for sure. After Aeoden is he the next big AWA kid? 

41 minutes ago, MizzouFan01 said:

I’m absolutely excited to see what Whitting and Aeoden do in a Tiger singlet. We have a log jam in the upper weights, with Rocky, Hawks, Harmon Whiting and Aeoden. Interested to see how it shakes out. Minnesota has Millard coming from AWA, it was down to them and Mizzou I believe. As far as Wolbert goes, I haven’t heard much on him recruiting wise. From what I’ve seen he’s a beast for sure. After Aeoden is he the next big AWA kid? 

Rocky will be a senior when Sinclair is a redshirt, so that shouldn’t be too much of a problem.  The log jam at 184 will shake out, hopefully one of them can make the cut to 174 after Mocco leaves.  

Regarding Wolbert, he’s only a freshman so he’s a ways away from technically being recruited.  BUT….he is the real deal.  Cadet Fargo champ, undefeated freshman state champ (beat nationally ranked Ben Bast 3x, including in the state finals), and a flat-out assassin.  After next summer he needs to be on of our top targets.  

How many AWA kids have gone to/committed to Mizzou….4? O’Toole, Mocco, Whiting, Sinclair….who else?  
What other WI kids have we had?  Askren x2, Wagner…?   It’s not like we’ve owned the Wisconsin pipeline or anything 

6 minutes ago, Fudge Tunnel said:

Rocky will be a senior when Sinclair is a redshirt, so that shouldn’t be too much of a problem.  The log jam at 184 will shake out, hopefully one of them can make the cut to 174 after Mocco leaves.  

Regarding Wolbert, he’s only a freshman so he’s a ways away from technically being recruited.  BUT….he is the real deal.  Cadet Fargo champ, undefeated freshman state champ (beat nationally ranked Ben Bast 3x, including in the state finals), and a flat-out assassin.  After next summer he needs to be on of our top targets.  

How many AWA kids have gone to/committed to Mizzou….4? O’Toole, Mocco, Whiting, Sinclair….who else?  
What other WI kids have we had?  Askren x2, Wagner…?   It’s not like we’ve owned the Wisconsin pipeline or anything 

Jacob Raschka, Preston Spray without looking at current or past rosters. I believe there is maybe 1/2 more. 

17 minutes ago, Fudge Tunnel said:

Pell, Wagner

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

1 minute ago, Fudge Tunnel said:

Pell…..forgot about him.  

Yes I was just about to say Pell. We’ve done pretty well in Wisconsin. I would venture to say Wisconsin, Oklahoma or Kansas would be second as far as rostered wrestlers in Smiths tenure. Do you still keep in touch with NorthCo from the old Mo wrestling forum? I’d bet he has a master list of states each wrestler is from that went to Mizzou. 

21 minutes ago, MizzouFan01 said:

Do you still keep in touch with NorthCo from the old Mo wrestling forum? I’d bet he has a master list of states each wrestler is from that went to Mizzou. 

I certainly do.  He’s on here as well (under a different username).  And yes, he can probably recall every Mizzou wrestler’s state of origin & HS record over the last 25 yrs 

• Fire 1

6 minutes ago, Fudge Tunnel said:

I certainly do.  He’s on here as well (under a different username).  And yes, he can probably recall every Mizzou wrestler’s state of origin & HS record over the last 25 yrs 

That’s awesome. I miss that page. Man did we have some good topics in its hay day. 2000 when I joined until 2008 or so. 

24 minutes ago, Fudge Tunnel said:

I did some announcing in Wichita this year and Jason Bryant and myself did some reminiscing about the old Missouriwrestling.com days. We definitely had some fun on that site. 

• Fire 2

2 hours ago, MizzouFan01 said:

Yes I was just about to say Pell. We’ve done pretty well in Wisconsin. I would venture to say Wisconsin, Oklahoma or Kansas would be second as far as rostered wrestlers in Smiths tenure. Do you still keep in touch with NorthCo from the old Mo wrestling forum? I’d bet he has a master list of states each wrestler is from that went to Mizzou. 

Nicholas Hauke was another. After looking at some of the rosters, Illinois would be the second highest rostered state after in state recruits. I know we’ve brought in guys like Cross and McCalister but if I’m Smith and Wyatt Duchateau isn’t committed, I’d be looking at him. Same high school as most of the AWA guys at Arrowhead. 

6 hours ago, warren_haynes said:

I did some announcing in Wichita this year and Jason Bryant and myself did some reminiscing about the old Missouriwrestling.com days. We definitely had some fun on that site. 

I don’t know how I stayed employed and/or married from ‘03 thru around ‘11/‘12.  If we had smart phones then, I’m pretty sure I would have been both divorced and unemployed.  The non-wrestling forum on Themat.com forums didn’t help either.  Thankfully we were young, and excessive alcohol consumption that was forced on me by the likes of Jonathan, Pollock, Swain, etc wasn’t so consequential 

• Fire 2

Oh yes, those were the days.  What did we do before the internet?  Got together at the local watering holes and told "lies" and "exaggerated" stories about the "good ole days" and the legendary wrestlers and coaches of our times.  Annual Missouri coaches clinic, and of course, state meet weekend, were homecoming for the diehards of faithful fans as we witnessed the year to year improvement of the quality of wrestling athletes in the Show Me state.  I'm very proud of what I see today, and I still look forward to telling stories, reliving the past, with eyes forward to the future.  I've even told some "Mr. Fudge Tunnel" stories over the years, so you know I've been around a day or two.

• Fire 3

On 4/21/2023 at 10:28 PM, MizzouFan01 said:

I miss that page. Man did we have some good topics in its hay day. 2000 when I joined until 2008 or so. 

It was a great forum for Missouri HS Wrestling. I did the Rankings on that site for several years & it created a lot of discussion.  Too bad it dried up.

53 minutes ago, Show_Me said:

It was a great forum for Missouri HS Wrestling. I did the Rankings on that site for several years & it created a lot of discussion.  Too bad it dried up.

Can’t blame Jonathan, he did all he could from day 1. Once it closed the first time, after that long break before it came back it just wasn’t the same. 

18 minutes ago, Gibby Haynes said:

I was always on that site.it was all there was for missouri wrestling fans. Tigerboard did and does suck for wrestle discussion. 

Ah Gibby Haynes!  That name takes me back.  Loved cranking Independent Worm Saloon in the wrestling room during practice, I'm flying away!

13 hours ago, Gibby Haynes said:

I was always on that site.it was all there was for missouri wrestling fans. Tigerboard did and does suck for wrestle discussion. 

I had to go look up Tigerboard. I had no idea it even existed. I really enjoyed the old Missouri Wrestling board as well. I check in here and the PowerMizzou board the most. 

On 4/21/2023 at 8:46 PM, MizzouFan01 said:

Disclaimer I have zero inside information regarding both the school and the club. However with Messinbrink now going to PSU along with the Marisolas, I feel we as Mizzou fans should be worried. While we have gotten several great wrestlers from AWA, with the recent PSU additions, what once was a great pipeline could/might be now opening to other schools. First and foremost I don’t blame any wrestler going to PSU, but it sure was nice, outside of UNI that we got most most of them. I don’t actually know if Smith was recruiting the twins, but we were in on Mitch while he was in the portal. I hope we were in the initial process before CBU but I don’t know. Just seem what once great chances we land the top AWA talent has diminished. I could be way off, but I damn sure  not as confident as I once was. 

I wouldn't be too concerned.  Just a few years back a lot of wrestlers from young guns (western PA)  went to Iowa but Cael was still able to snag Cenzo and Nolf.  Highly doubt Mizzou will miss out on all the talent

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

@Gibby HaynesI guess we have 80's Touch and Go references all tied up.

From my memory AWA Kids that have been on the Mizzou Roster

Raschka, Mocco, O'Toole, Pfleger, Spray and Whiting 

Other Wisconsin Wrestlers from the past

Max and Ben, Pell, Hucke, Josh Wagner, Glen Kendl

That is all I remember. 

So as far as the Penn State/AWA signings. I was very disappointed that Messenbrink signed with PSU (I was disappointed he signed with Cal Baptist as well). I thought he would be a no doubt Mizzou kid for a couple of reasons A) He was an Askren pupil. B) His dad was Askren's HS coach and Arrowhead kids that have gone to MIzzou have gone on to win National Titles (Askren's and O'Toole) while other Arrowhead kids that went else where have not (Ie Jake Sueflon(sp), Josh Otto). C) Messenbrink's father is a St. Louis boy that is a McCluer North graduate... maybe they still had relatives in the St. Louis area. But Alas, I was wrong. 

But the Mirasola brothers I was not surprised they didn't get them at all. Because They signed Aeodin Sinclair and one of the brothers was going to be at his weight. 

Now that being said I sure hope Mizzou gets Wyatt Duchateau. I think he is a future 157 lbs. I have had my eye on him since he won Cheesehead in 2022. 

The other AWA kid I hope Mizzou gets (besides Wolbert) is Ben Bast. He might be the answer at 125/133 lbs. I could see him and Mack Mauger battling it out. 

Yes I am the artist formerly known as Northco. Which I can't use anymore cause I live South Side now. 

• Fire 2

2 hours ago, killdozer said:

@Gibby HaynesI guess we have 80's Touch and Go references all tied up.

From my memory AWA Kids that have been on the Mizzou Roster

Raschka, Mocco, O'Toole, Pfleger, Spray and Whiting 

Other Wisconsin Wrestlers from the past

Max and Ben, Pell, Hucke, Josh Wagner, Glen Kendl

That is all I remember. 

So as far as the Penn State/AWA signings. I was very disappointed that Messenbrink signed with PSU (I was disappointed he signed with Cal Baptist as well). I thought he would be a no doubt Mizzou kid for a couple of reasons A) He was an Askren pupil. B) His dad was Askren's HS coach and Arrowhead kids that have gone to MIzzou have gone on to win National Titles (Askren's and O'Toole) while other Arrowhead kids that went else where have not (Ie Jake Sueflon(sp), Josh Otto). C) Messenbrink's father is a St. Louis boy that is a McCluer North graduate... maybe they still had relatives in the St. Louis area. But Alas, I was wrong. 

But the Mirasola brothers I was not surprised they didn't get them at all. Because They signed Aeodin Sinclair and one of the brothers was going to be at his weight. 

Now that being said I sure hope Mizzou gets Wyatt Duchateau. I think he is a future 157 lbs. I have had my eye on him since he won Cheesehead in 2022. 

The other AWA kid I hope Mizzou gets (besides Wolbert) is Ben Bast. He might be the answer at 125/133 lbs. I could see him and Mack Mauger battling it out. 

Yes I am the artist formerly known as Northco. Which I can't use anymore cause I live South Side now. 

If Mizzou somehow got both Wyatt and Wolbert, I would be over the moon. To me those two look like the next can’t miss guys from AWA. Obviously I’m excited to see where Aeoden and Whitting fit in the lineup. I need to research bast like I had to after Fudge talked about Wolbert. I was unaware Messingbrinks dad was from MO. The 2024 class, I would think would be a smaller one. Only Mack and Aeoden I believe.