• Playwire Ad Area

Shilson v Mortimer head bounce

The girl on top didn’t really try to clear out either time. The second one especially looked like it was just to slam her head.

And.. multiple people I know agreed that the top girl knew about the others concussions

Yes I know that shouldn’t play a factor. But.. reality 

15 minutes ago, Formally140 said:

The girl on top didn’t really try to clear out either time. The second one especially looked like it was just to slam her head.

And.. multiple people I know agreed that the top girl knew about the others concussions

Yes I know that shouldn’t play a factor. But.. reality 

I would guess the 2nd one looked so bad because there wasn't resistance.  

There's always a segment of the wrestling community that says, "Well, wrestling isn't for wusses!" to justify stuff.

Let me ask you guys a different question, "How many world team members use moves that way?"

For example, Sarah Hildebrandt is the QUEEN of the front headlock.
She scores from there quite reliably.
She doesn't run that move for head to mat contact.
In fact, I've never seen a match of hers that had anything remotely similar to Mortimer's match.

Do we see a lot of 'hard crossfaces from left field' from Dake or Taylor of Burroughs?

Does Lee or Suriano regularly choke out their opponents with hard guys yelling from the stands, "protect ur neck, yo!" at their opponents?

It seems like that in the long run, the further you get in this sport, the less you see of this stuff...because it isn't necessary and is likely counterproductive.

It's rookie level shit.

Edited by Mike Parrish
  • Fire 1

33 minutes ago, Mike Parrish said:

There's always a segment of the wrestling community that says, "Well, wrestling isn't for wusses!" to justify stuff.

Let me ask you guys a different question, "How many world team members use moves that way?"

For example, Sarah Hildebrandt is the QUEEN of the front headlock.
She scores from there quite reliably.
She doesn't run that move for head to mat contact.
In fact, I've never seen a match of hers that had anything remotely similar to Mortimer's match.

Do we see a lot of 'hard crossfaces from left field' from Dake or Taylor of Burroughs?

Does Lee or Suriano regularly choke out their opponents with hard guys yelling from the stands, "protect ur neck, yo!" at their opponents?

It seems like that in the long run, the further you get in this sport, the less you see of this stuff...because it isn't necessary and is likely counterproductive.

It's rookie level shit.

This is especially true when you consider the fact that slamming straight down isn’t even the best way to clear your arms out 

Doesn't matter whether it was intentional or not. Head injuries are a serious concern these days. Football players will get flagged for helmet-to-helmet no matter how accidental. Knock someone out and they'll probably get tossed, too.

Aside from not being the most effective technique, the head bounce is a pretty dumb thing to coach. Leaves your positional advantage up to the whims of the refs, who will be looking to blow the whistle if there's a possible head injury.

I maintain that I have never seen this before.   I have never seen someone intentionally slam a head into the mat during a wrestling match.   I see no reason why this move isn't illegal.   

In front headlock, you can flatten the person out, but that does not involve head slamming.   It's a wonder we don't see this more often in wrestling if it is a legal move to do. 

mspart

17 hours ago, MPhillips said:

If it was illegal/dangerous/brutal why wasn't it stopped after the first bounce or not called immediately after the second? Is the qualifier that, she was knocked out?  Not being cantankerous here.

This was my interpretation of why the ruling was illegal, this move and position is seen in every practice room and competition. If Shilson does not get knocked out the move is not even questioned. The moves intention is to use the momentum from the bounce to withdraw your elbow. If you remove this position by making it illegal more wrestlers will shoot for the intention to just hang onto the elbows.

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, mspart said:

I maintain that I have never seen this before.   I have never seen someone intentionally slam a head into the mat during a wrestling match.   I see no reason why this move isn't illegal.   

In front headlock, you can flatten the person out, but that does not involve head slamming.   It's a wonder we don't see this more often in wrestling if it is a legal move to do. 

mspart

I think that you have not seen a particular instance like this because the bottom wrestler always uses the hand that is not on the elbow to brace themselves and thus stop the head from bouncing. If the bottom wrestler just protects or braces herself in any way, she will stop the head from bouncing. It is a very common wrestling technique and I have never seen this result from it either.