• Playwire Ad Area

Was Labriola poking fun at the religious guys here?

Was just scrolling through Nebraska’s twitter after seeing the Robb photo and saw this interview for the first time.

Thought it was an interesting choice of words when he said “All glory to them” (his coaches).  

I’m sure he didn’t mean to be derogatory but I wonder if it was a bit of a joke as a result of so many guys giving “all the Glory” to God.

Sorry not much wrestling to talk about right now…

Do not know how you watch that video and think Labriola was joking - seems like a heartfelt comment on his gratitude for his coaches.  Something special in many wrestler-coach relationships and it is nice to see that expressed.  I am not much a fan of sticking a mic in front of wrestlers in the first few seconds they get off the mat, but this one seemed to work.

• Fire 3

4 hours ago, Pinnacle said:

If you watched the video you saw him hugging Manning before the interview AND then the interviewer asks him about his coaches. His response was about his coaches, not any other group of individuals. 

Me too. I don't think he was thinking about insulting or joking about anything right there. 

To be honest...I'd laugh if I thought he was as it just gets a little tired. I also loved the handshake as well, but I think he was just saying, they get the credit. 

It's always possible he's got a REALLY dry sense of humor...

• Fire 1

9 hours ago, Elevator said:

Do not know how you watch that video and think Labriola was joking - seems like a heartfelt comment on his gratitude for his coaches.  Something special in many wrestler-coach relationships and it is nice to see that expressed.  I am not much a fan of sticking a mic in front of wrestlers in the first few seconds they get off the mat, but this one seemed to work.

Sorry didn’t mean to imply it wasn’t heartfelt, I’m absolutely sure it was, just though the “All glory to…” was an interesting choice of words.  But yeah, could’ve just been the result of getting interviewed just after getting done wrestling

30 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

nebraska really has a great culture right now.

i dig it when a program has an era/period in which the team is really bonding and fighting for each other. 

Yup...it's funny, but the best teams I was on were the teams when we all actually got along. I played two sports that are effectively individual sports. Wrestling and Baseball(also FB, but that's obviously a team sport). Baseball is a series of individual matchups...and that's really it. Wrestling is literally just you vs another guy.

You CAN have success without liking each other, but it's so much easier when you feel relaxed, like your team has your back, like you're...well, part of a team. Nebraska and Manning has that going for them now and I think they'll contend for a team trophy again.

On 4/16/2023 at 11:43 AM, Elevator said:

Just to play Devils advocate, I know people who have that really dry sense of humor. I have one and it's gotten me in trouble over stupid shit. My sister asking how her kid was doing and me saying, "I don't know, she was out by the pool last I checked." She couldn't walk. That didn't go over well. HER Mistake was not realizing that I wasn't a total moron and WAS a total asshole and of course I wouldn't do that.

Mine was...trying to make some silly, harmless little joke(another example). 

I know a Wrestling Coach who's said he wanted one of his guys to say something similar.

BUT, this did seem like a very genuine, sincere interaction.