• Playwire Ad Area

Not A Peep! Got to Wrestle for the Love ❤️ of the sport!

Wrassler

Having been a college wrestler for Northwestern I can tell you it is very exciting to be a college wrestler. Same as most college sports and even boxing and tennis 🎾,etc. 

When you use your entire energy and mind and body doing something exciting, that is very fun. 

Now the honest part! No one really cares. Northwestern has three former All American wrestlers transferring and not more than 20-25 posts about it! Why? No one, outside a few individuals really cares! You have to do it for the love of the sport, as Michael Jordan would say. 

Other guys like Bernie Traux, etc and not much real excitement except for a few threads on hawkeyereport. 

The reality is no one cares! So do it for the exercise and don’t destroy yourself in the process.

Am I wrong? 

• Fire 2

No, I don't think you're wrong. A couple programs have a lot to offer in terms of crowd size, but the first College Wrestling match, I remember just...silence. 

My HS was about 10X more enthusiastic at that point. 

But that's on the schools to try and get students out for the matches, maybe give out free tickets if they're not selling enough. Just something so you don't feel like you're wrestling in an empty gym where you can hear everyone clear their throat...

I envy the Iowa Wrestlers. That's the best environment to Wrestle...even if I think Iowa fans are a bit much at times!

• Fire 1

9 hours ago, wrestler said:

Having been a college wrestler for Northwestern I can tell you it is very exciting to be a college wrestler. Same as most college sports and even boxing and tennis 🎾,etc. 

When you use your entire energy and mind and body doing something exciting, that is very fun. 

Now the honest part! No one really cares. Northwestern has three former All American wrestlers transferring and not more than 20-25 posts about it! Why? No one, outside a few individuals really cares! You have to do it for the love of the sport, as Michael Jordan would say. 

Other guys like Bernie Traux, etc and not much real excitement except for a few threads on hawkeyereport. 

The reality is no one cares! So do it for the exercise and don’t destroy yourself in the process.

Am I wrong? 

When were you there? I'm also an alum and ex-wrestler. I have noticed you and I are the only ones who talk NU on here. Most students didn't even know we had a wrestling team back then. I'm guessing that has not changed.

As the only Big Ten school on the quarter system and very tough academics, did you ever feel like you had it tougher at Northwestern than wrestlers at other schools? Did the season typically span 3 quarters?

Kids at Stanford might be in a similar boat, minus the unpleasant winters.