• Playwire Ad Area

Would Iowa recruit over Teske if they can land Nagao?

9 hours ago, 82bordeaux said:

This is true. But do you believe that Cliff Keen,an MMA promoter, Rudis, Nike, or any other company are actively trying to recruit athletes to a certain program?

I'm saying as an interested booster, how would I help Penn State land Aaron Nagao or Bernie Truax?

The MMA promoter, yeah, he's a big PSU fan. I think that was a big part of RBY staying another year. 

Rudis, Nike, Cliff Keen, they're just trying to get the biggest names and I suspect they don't care where they're at.

But Dave Martin has a rooting interest and he's helped him get other NIL deals.

I may have been wrong in saying they have "as much as anyone," when it comes to NIL. But it seems like they're doing alright and a guy like Nagao who has a background in multiple disciplines...he'd be a guy Dave Martin may also be interested in. I'm sure he's looking to make money off this and he's not doing it JUST to see PSU win the National Title by 70 points rather than 50.

And again, that was just one part of the equation. They have SOOO much going for them. If you want to be a legend, you can certainly do that at other schools...but right now, PSU would seem to be the obvious choice. 

6 hours ago, BlacknGold said:

If Penn State is soo unbeatable and soo much better at developing talent then why are you guys soo concerned about where these transfers are going?

Not a Penn State fan, but I did just find myself...for some reason, looking back at old team scores and comparing Gable to Cael and saw that Iowa won 9 of 10 weights at the B1Gs in 1983, had 9 AAs in the top 5(IIRC) and the one who didn't was a Freshmen who won his first two matches and then would win a Title in one of the greatest scrambles in NCAA History, Rico Chiparelli.

I don't think Penn State is currently contending with Iowa or Cornell or anyone as much as they're trying to get better. They're just trying to put the best, most dominant team out there...and I'd assume the fans feel the same.

Isn't that what you do in any sport? Why did everyone run and join Tampa Bay in 2020? Why did the Golden State Warriors sign Kevin Durant after they won 73 games in an 82 game season and had won a Championship with 4 HOFers already on the team.

You don't think Gable and Iowa fans would have rooted for transfers like this when they were at their peak? I mean, I know they got a few of them. They were so much better at developing talent and so much better. Yet Gable was still grinding, using the advantages he had.

7 minutes ago, scourge165 said:

Not a Penn State fan, but I did just find myself...for some reason, looking back at old team scores and comparing Gable to Cael and saw that Iowa won 9 of 10 weights at the B1Gs in 1983, had 9 AAs in the top 5(IIRC) and the one who didn't was a Freshmen who won his first two matches and then would win a Title in one of the greatest scrambles in NCAA History, Rico Chiparelli.

I don't think Penn State is currently contending with Iowa or Cornell or anyone as much as they're trying to get better. They're just trying to put the best, most dominant team out there...and I'd assume the fans feel the same.

Isn't that what you do in any sport? Why did everyone run and join Tampa Bay in 2020? Why did the Golden State Warriors sign Kevin Durant after they won 73 games in an 82 game season and had won a Championship with 4 HOFers already on the team.

You don't think Gable and Iowa fans would have rooted for transfers like this when they were at their peak? I mean, I know they got a few of them. They were so much better at developing talent and so much better. Yet Gable was still grinding, using the advantages he had.

I never questioned Penn States integrity or reasoning for going after talent, I only questioned the overly expressed confidence of PSU fans 

• Fire 1

14 hours ago, Hwt1 said:

ISU is a top rival of PSU? Haven’t been in top 10 for last 10-12 years, including last 6 under Dresser.

Well, in the context I said it, it the last 10-12 years aren't really important, I'm just looking ahead to next year and it seems like most other teams are graduating more Wrestlers and then said save for maybe Missouri and ISU. Both of whom bring back most of their teams and have Wrestlers coming in who can make a big impact(particularly is Messenbrink does end up at Missouri). 

It was more about the gap being even larger next year...as it stands now. And that was without the potential for Nagao transferring to PSU.

43 minutes ago, BlacknGold said:

I never questioned Penn States integrity or reasoning for going after talent, I only questioned the overly expressed confidence of PSU fans 

Fair enough, but I don't know that it's the PSU fans who are necessarily expressing their confidence or talking them up. I think it's just others who are in awe of what they're doing.

I think it's bad for the sport...as I've said. It's not good for sports...generally speaking, when you know who's going to win each year, but it's hard to not marvel at the talent they've got coming into the sport and how good they could be. If they bring back everyone but Dean and RBY, but manage to get a healthy Howard, Nagao and maybe even Truax....shit, that team could challenge the '83/'97 Iowa teams. 

3 hours ago, 82bordeaux said:

Why ditch the singlet? You can make more wrestling one college season.

I meant the actual singlet, not the sport, and was talking in terms of commercial viability for wrestling. Basketball gets a ton of money because bball shoes, shorts, jerseys, warmups, and other gear are worn by athletes, fans, and even non-fans. It's just normal fashion for many.

On the other hand, no one goes out or lounges around at home in a wrestling singlet and headgear (well, I can think of a few here who might, lol). Embrace the shorts and shirt combo, normalize it into something people will want to exercise or train or even lazily lounge (social media influencers, I'm looking at you) around in. Might as well give it a go and see if it brings more money to the sport.

8 hours ago, scourge165 said:

Well, in the context I said it, it the last 10-12 years aren't really important, I'm just looking ahead to next year and it seems like most other teams are graduating more Wrestlers and then said save for maybe Missouri and ISU. Both of whom bring back most of their teams and have Wrestlers coming in who can make a big impact(particularly is Messenbrink does end up at Missouri). 

It was more about the gap being even larger next year...as it stands now. And that was without the potential for Nagao transferring to PSU.

I agree with you on Missouri - they had 5 AA (including 2 time champ) and all returning. They also have a history of placing high / top 10 finish as a team, including 5th last year. But until they prove otherwise, I just don’t see it with ISU. They are not a threat to PSU or even the other top 4. They only had 2 AA last year (Carr and Coleman), with only Carr returning. They also lose Schuyler at 285, who was their next best wrestler. And no recent results of wrestling well at NCAAs. 

4 minutes ago, Hwt1 said:

I agree with you on Missouri - they had 5 AA (including 2 time champ) and all returning. They also have a history of placing high / top 10 finish as a team, including 5th last year. But until they prove otherwise, I just don’t see it with ISU. They are not a threat to PSU or even the other top 4. They only had 2 AA last year (Carr and Coleman), with only Carr returning. They also lose Schuyler at 285, who was their next best wrestler. And no recent results of wrestling well at NCAAs. 

Nobody said they were a threat to Penn State...that was literally the point I was making.

ISU DOES however have the #2 recruiting class that mostly redshirted this past year and several Wrestlers who should contribute.

Terukina is back off RS
Redding was Rd of 12
Swiderski was the #2 recruit in the Country
Johnson at '49 was one of the better Freshmen in the Country
'57-Kraisser was Rd of 16 last year
'65-Carr
'74-97
Gaiten, Rojas and Bastida

They have one potential hole in the lineup and a LOT of young recruits and Wrestlers with high upsides...but AGAIN, the point was that Penn State doesn't have a rival and they NEED someone to step up and become one for the good of the sport.

That's why I mentioned Alabama and then used Clemson, Georgia and Florida State as examples. 

I think Iowa State is a team that has some young talent, and a guy like Bastida, another year into Folkstyle, he's as good as anyone on his feet, if he can get out, he could be in the finals.
Johnson has massive upside. 

I don't know man, it wasn't that deep. I like Iowa State and what they're building and again, nobody is a threat to Penn State right now. That was...again, the main point.

16 hours ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

I meant the actual singlet, not the sport, and was talking in terms of commercial viability for wrestling. Basketball gets a ton of money because bball shoes, shorts, jerseys, warmups, and other gear are worn by athletes, fans, and even non-fans. It's just normal fashion for many.

On the other hand, no one goes out or lounges around at home in a wrestling singlet and headgear (well, I can think of a few here who might, lol). Embrace the shorts and shirt combo, normalize it into something people will want to exercise or train or even lazily lounge (social media influencers, I'm looking at you) around in. Might as well give it a go and see if it brings more money to the sport.

Got it. Now I understand why so many people stare when I'm grocery shopping.

• Fire 1

18 hours ago, scourge165 said:

The MMA promoter, yeah, he's a big PSU fan. I think that was a big part of RBY staying another year. 

Rudis, Nike, Cliff Keen, they're just trying to get the biggest names and I suspect they don't care where they're at.

But Dave Martin has a rooting interest and he's helped him get other NIL deals.

I may have been wrong in saying they have "as much as anyone," when it comes to NIL. But it seems like they're doing alright and a guy like Nagao who has a background in multiple disciplines...he'd be a guy Dave Martin may also be interested in. I'm sure he's looking to make money off this and he's not doing it JUST to see PSU win the National Title by 70 points rather than 50.

And again, that was just one part of the equation. They have SOOO much going for them. If you want to be a legend, you can certainly do that at other schools...but right now, PSU would seem to be the obvious choice. 

Are you talking about Dave Martin from Martin Advisory Group? You obviously know more about it than me. (and I don't mean that facetiously) I've never heard his name mentioned around any NLWC events. I've never seen him on social media pumping Penn State or PSU wrestlers. He doesn't sponsor the club or any of the fundraising events. I've just never heard him mentioned. Other major donors are pretty well known. He's just not a name I've heard mentioned. Maybe that's because I'm not a big MMA fan. I don't follow the sport.

Are you talking about Dave Martin from Martin Advisory Group? You obviously know more about it than me. (and I don't mean that facetiously) I've never heard his name mentioned around any NLWC events. I've never seen him on social media pumping Penn State or PSU wrestlers. He doesn't sponsor the club or any of the fundraising events. I've just never heard him mentioned. Other major donors are pretty well known. He's just not a name I've heard mentioned. Maybe that's because I'm not a big MMA fan. I don't follow the sport.

Pretty sure the NLWC talk is just assumptions. He as an agent does his job and gets legitimate NIL deals.

Some of Dave Martin’s clients include Gable Steveson(tight with RBY and the connection, not NLWC), Logan Storley, Mitch McKee, Pat McKee and Michael Blockhus. I believe they just signed Zahid Valencia as well.

His agency does have a primary MMA focus, hence the wrestling connections.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, GoGopher said:

Pretty sure the NLWC talk is just assumptions. He as an agent does his job and gets legitimate NIL deals.

Some of Dave Martin’s clients include Gable Steveson(tight with RBY and the connection, not NLWC), Logan Storley, Mitch McKee, Pat McKee and Michael Blockhus. I believe they just signed Zahid Valencia as well.

His agency does have a primary MMA focus, hence the wrestling connections.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks more Minnesota focused!

2 hours ago, 82bordeaux said:

Yes. He signed RBY, got him some big NIL deals, he's repping Bo Nickal and a couple other PSU Wrestlers. 

33 minutes ago, scourge165 said:

Yes. He signed RBY, got him some big NIL deals, he's repping Bo Nickal and a couple other PSU Wrestlers. 

So it sounds to me like he is just running his business and not making an effort to land portal guys at any specific program, am I right? Based on his social media, I would expect that he is trying to keep Nagao at Minny.

1 hour ago, 82bordeaux said:

So it sounds to me like he is just running his business and not making an effort to land portal guys at any specific program, am I right? Based on his social media, I would expect that he is trying to keep Nagao at Minny.

I thought he was a PSU alum*-not positive though. I'm pretty sure the size of the deals he's given to Nickal and RBY last year are MUCH bigger than other College athletes. Could be because they appear to be the best, most obvious athletes who'll transition. Especially RBY(edit-He says while Nickal is actually tapping dudes out in the UFC...)

I don't think he's doing this without getting something back. It'll be interesting to see if he gets Starocci a deal while he's debating a 5th year or IF he's debating he may come back.

Edited by scourge165