• Playwire Ad Area

Would Iowa recruit over Teske if they can land Nagao?

If Penn State is soo unbeatable and soo much better at developing talent then why are you guys soo concerned about where these transfers are going?

Because we want to double Iowa’s point total at NCAAs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Fire 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, JVStateChamp said:

Going back to the original post and question, I believe Iowa would and should recruit Nagao over Teske if they feel that gives them the best wrestler at 133. Every school in the country will recruit over their guy if it gives them a better shot at winning, college wrestling is a business and coaches treat it as such.

Surely you aren't suggesting every school has a shot at winning if only ...  🙄

6 minutes ago, JVStateChamp said:

Going back to the original post and question, I believe Iowa would and should recruit Nagao over Teske if they feel that gives them the best wrestler at 133. Every school in the country will recruit over their guy if it gives them a better shot at winning, college wrestling is a business and coaches treat it as such.

All coaches on almost any level would put the best wrestler they can out on the mat at every weight. As long as it doesn't negatively affect their recruiting at other weights as far as scholarship allocations.

• Fire 1

2 minutes ago, 82bordeaux said:

All coaches on almost any level would put the best wrestler they can out on the mat at every weight. As long as it doesn't negatively affect their recruiting at other weights as far as scholarship allocations.

I agree, I find this instance very similar to Dean coming to PSU even though they already AA Beard. I know Teske does not have the same credentials but just a similar example. It did not harm PSU with recruiting in other weights and I am going to assume that it will not hurt Iowa with recruiting at other weights either.

• Fire 1

My view on this is that what we have now is a much more level and honest playing field. 

Prior to the portal,  NIL, and freedom of movement for athletes we had a very unlevel and very dishonest playing field. All the power belonged to the administrators and all of the product was being produced by the athletes. And make no mistake, it is a product produced for profit. Even the non-revenue sports exist to distract from the profits made from the revenue sports.

The administrators relied on an antiquated and foolish notion that it was somehow manly and a life lesson to stick with a bad situation. But this was such a cynical view and relied on fans being fans, first and foremost, and athletes ignoring the profits derived from their efforts. In that system it seemed unfair for a coach to recruit over an athlete if the athlete was expected to just play the bad hand they were dealt, then shouldn't the coach do the same? 

Of course, that view ignored the cynicism of the system which was plain for all to see. Or for most. Now with free (or near free) movement for athletes we have a more symmetrical system. The nostalgic among us will long for the days when athletes did not move around, but that was in service of a dishonest system. Sure, it wasn't always that way, and the NCAA certainly promoted an old school view of the amateur student-athlete at the same time they professionalized the profit mechanisms, but it evolved over time to be that way.

So to my way of thinking, the whole concept of recruiting over is outdated.

Edited by Wrestleknownothing
  • Fire 3

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

34 minutes ago, Le duke said:

Because we want to double Iowa’s point total at NCAAs.

Sounds like fake confidence. PSU fans act like there's no competition but they get on the internet and debate for every transfer tooth and nail. Something doesn't line up. Aren't you guys the michael jordans of developing talent? Looks more to me like PSU fans are getting uncomfortable on that mountain top. Heard AJ might be on the way to Iowa and everyone over in Pennsylvania started squirming. "Quick boys, take the forums before they get anyone else!"

• Haha 1

Sounds like fake confidence. PSU fans act like there's no competition but they get on the internet and debate for every transfer tooth and nail. Something doesn't line up. Aren't you guys the michael jordans of developing talent? Looks more to me like PSU fans are getting uncomfortable on that mountain top. Heard AJ might be on the way to Iowa and everyone over in Pennsylvania started squirming. "Quick boys, take the forums before they get anyone else!"

I hope you get AJ.

That would be great.

• Fire 1

5 hours ago, 82bordeaux said:

This is true. But do you believe that Cliff Keen,an MMA promoter, Rudis, Nike, or any other company are actively trying to recruit athletes to a certain program?

I think that people paying money for NIL purposes would want those athletes at the highest profile places to get the most visibility.

• Fire 1

16 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

I think that people paying money for NIL purposes would want those athletes at the highest profile places to get the most visibility.

They might want it, but that and taking an active role in making it happen are two different things. That's risky business if it ever was made public. Now it happened X1,000,000 in basketball with Adidas, but people went to prison for that and billions in sales were at stake. I don't think anyone is risking jail time or even alienating other customers over sales of wrestling shoes and singlets.

1 hour ago, BlacknGold said:

Michael Jordan went through spot up three point shooters like water. Craig Hodges, BJ Armstrong, Steve Kerr, John Paxson. And for his second three-peat he blessed the acquisition of the ultimate transfer, the hated Dennis Rodman. So, yeah, like Michael Jordan.

7 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Michael Jordan went through spot up three point shooters like water. Craig Hodges, BJ Armstrong, Steve Kerr, John Paxson. And for his second three-peat he blessed the acquisition of the ultimate transfer, the hated Dennis Rodman. So, yeah, like Michael Jordan.

You missed the point entirely

• Fire 1

35 minutes ago, 82bordeaux said:

They might want it, but that and taking an active role in making it happen are two different things. That's risky business if it ever was made public. Now it happened X1,000,000 in basketball with Adidas, but people went to prison for that and billions in sales were at stake. I don't think anyone is risking jail time or even alienating other customers over sales of wrestling shoes and singlets.

Middlemen went to prison.  Regular folk like us.  Not the big guys who are actually spending the money.

• Fire 1

18 minutes ago, BlacknGold said:

You missed the point entirely

Not really. My point was that it was a bad point. The Michael Jordan of developing talent is a stretch to begin with. But Even if you are the MJ of something, why would you rely on that one thing? Seems pretty un-MJ like. He was the best at going to the basket when he entered the league, but he did not rest on that laurel. He developed the best post up game, developed the best turn around jumper, developed the best one on one defense, developed the best smack talk, brought in the best teammates. No one gets to the top of the mountain by ignoring facets of success.

• Fire 3

7 hours ago, 82bordeaux said:

This is true. But do you believe that Cliff Keen,an MMA promoter, Rudis, Nike, or any other company are actively trying to recruit athletes to a certain program?

Shoe and apparel companies have been funneling kids to specific schools for years. The most obvious is basketball where the biggest retail money is. They tried to get around the NCAA by setting up teams, relationships, and programming at the AAU level. That's why elite kids from specific AAU programs or bball academies get labeled as "Adidas players" (destined for Adidas sponsored schools like Kansas, Louisville, or Indiana), Nike players, Under Armor players, etc. Happens also, to a much lesser extent, in soccer, volleyball, and tennis. Probably even less than that in wrestling, but I would expect more attention given to the sport with its link to MMA. Another reason to ditch the singlet, btw.

1 hour ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

Shoe and apparel companies have been funneling kids to specific schools for years. The most obvious is basketball where the biggest retail money is. They tried to get around the NCAA by setting up teams, relationships, and programming at the AAU level. That's why elite kids from specific AAU programs or bball academies get labeled as "Adidas players" (destined for Adidas sponsored schools like Kansas, Louisville, or Indiana), Nike players, Under Armor players, etc. Happens also, to a much lesser extent, in soccer, volleyball, and tennis. Probably even less than that in wrestling, but I would expect more attention given to the sport with its link to MMA. Another reason to ditch the singlet, btw.

Why ditch the singlet? You can make more wrestling one college season.