• Playwire Ad Area

Would Iowa recruit over Teske if they can land Nagao?

5 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

It really sounded like Basch contacted him about transfer portal a couple weeks ago.  Nagao said something about not considering it until Basch contacted him, but deciding to enter the portal a week later.

Can you specify when this was said? I listened to the entire interview and don't recall anything like that. I remember Aaron stating that it was about a week after the NCAA tournament that he began to consider it. I don't recall discussion about Basch contacting him about the portal the week before.

• Fire 1

15 minutes ago, scourge165 said:

Does he go back to 125 and(edit) *try to win the spot there? He was a '25 until coming back to Iowa(even when Spencer wasn't Wrestling, but he'd probably prepared to Wrestle '33 by then).

Teske vs Ayala? 

125 is Drake's spot I would think. He was a stud in his true freshman year and if he did not tear the pec we may have seen him AA. He had wins over Deaugustino, Schroeder, Surtin, Caleb Smith..

• Fire 1

3 minutes ago, Gus said:

125 is Drake's spot I would think. He was a stud in his true freshman year and if he did not tear the pec we may have seen him AA. He had wins over Deaugustino, Schroeder, Surtin, Caleb Smith..

I think he looked great...but I do think Teske would have a better chance going down to '25 and winning a spot than winning one at '33 and '41 is not an option.

And he can't transfer again without losing a year...I believe.

34 minutes ago, 82bordeaux said:

Can you specify when this was said? I listened to the entire interview and don't recall anything like that. I remember Aaron stating that it was about a week after the NCAA tournament that he began to consider it. I don't recall discussion about Basch contacting him about the portal the week before.

Thanks for questioning me!

I just went back and listened again.  (Keep in mind I rewound this part a couple times last night, but I was also walking a Golden Retriever.)

22:03 

Basch: When did you start deciding that you might want to enter the portal?

Nagao: It was... uh...you know you ask(ed?) me two weeks ago and it wasn't even a thought... but you ask me a week ago ...that's when the thoughts and considerations... I considered opening the portal up.

So, I now have a different interpretation thanks to your question.  I'm guessing he is not implying that Basch contacted him initially and just saying that at some point the idea just popped into his head.  

So I apologize to anyone and everyone: Basch, Nagao, PSU, etc.

• Fire 4

People used to say Teskee was a little small for 125. Now that he's filled out a bit, I think he'd be a better there than at 133. Unfortunately, there's no way he's beating Ayala in a wrestle-off. It would be funny if Iowa gets Nagao and Teske goes back to PSU.

• Fire 1

2 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

While I appreciate that the tone of the thread is now assuming he goes to Iowa, I think it's relatively clear that, as of now, he's a pretty heavy lean to Penn State.

For all the advantages Iowa had when Gable built them into a powerhouse, it feels like PSU has even more at this point.

If his primary goal is to just be the best Wrestler possible, they've got so much talent at that RTC. 
If you want NIL money, PSU has as much as anyone(it would seem). 
In-state talent? With respect to Iowa(and every other state) it's pretty well established they have got the most talent. 

I really hope OSU and their class last year and then Davino and their other recruits can pan out, and Kueter wrestles(though I'm skeptical he does Wrestle more than a RS season) and that loaded Iowa class from this year can pan out and push PSU, but if they keep filling 'holes' on their roster with guys like this, the highest AA at a weight who's a Freshmen(or 2nd depending on Fix and what he does)...I don't see anyone catching them anytime soon.

PSU needs a Clemson/Georgia/FSU to come along like they did to 'Bama to at least keep it interesting. As it stands now, Penn State looks like they're going to be better next year and their top rivals worse(save for maybe ISU and...IDK, Missouri). 

11 minutes ago, scourge165 said:

For all the advantages Iowa had when Gable built them into a powerhouse, it feels like PSU has even more at this point.

If his primary goal is to just be the best Wrestler possible, they've got so much talent at that RTC. 
In-state talent? With respect to Iowa(and every other state) it's pretty well established they have got the most talent. 

I really hope OSU and their class last year and then Davino and their other recruits can pan out, and Kueter wrestles(though I'm skeptical he does Wrestle more than a RS season) and that loaded Iowa class from this year can pan out and push PSU, but if they keep filling 'holes' on their roster with guys like this, the highest AA at a weight who's a Freshmen(or 2nd depending on Fix and what he does)...I don't see anyone catching them anytime soon.

PSU needs a Clemson/Georgia/FSU to come along like they did to 'Bama to at least keep it interesting. As it stands now, Penn State looks like they're going to be better next year and their top rivals worse(save for maybe ISU and...IDK, Missouri). 

I agree that Penn State is the stalking horse in modern NCAA wrestling.  I think Iowa can make a strong claim that they would be better for developing Nagao, given their track record at the lower weights, whereas Penn State's "holes" tend to be down this way, but that's a relative term for Penn State, since their big hitters tend to be 165 and up; they still have had RBY and Nick Lee recently, and with regard to RTC talent, you're 100% right, nobody is within a mile of NLWC right now.

It was super sweet of Nagao and Basch to run cover on the potential money portion of this, but I refuse to believe that God (if they exist) has an opinion on which school Nagao wrestles for.  This is a Nagao decision, and that's fine! I don't begrudge him that, even if he end up at Penn State and I suddenly realize I have always hated him!

Edited by VakAttack
  • Fire 2

3 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

I agree that Penn State is the stalking horse in modern NCAA wrestling.  I think Iowa can make a strong claim that they would be better for developing Nagao, given their track record at the lower weights, whereas Penn State's "holes" tend to be down this way, but that's a relative term for Penn State, since their big hitters tend to be 165 and up; they still have had RBY and Nick Lee recently, and with regard to RTC talent, you're 100% right, nobody is within a mile of NLWC right now.

It was super sweet of Nagao and Basch to run cover on the potential money portion of this, but I refuse to believe that God (if they exist) has an opinion on which school Nagao wrestles for.  This is a Nagao decision, and that's fine! I don't befrudge him that, even if he end up at Penn State and I suddenly realize I have always hated him!

And Minnesota Fans will suddenly start continue to argue he's choking people on top!

25 minutes ago, scourge165 said:

I think just the opposite is true.

1. The state of PA is very restrictive regarding State Universities and how NIL is used.

2. PSU is very restrictive as well with the application of NIL dollars paid to athletes.

This was one of the beefs that Micah Shrewsberry had with Penn State. Cael is also not thrilled with how PSU has embraced the NIL arms race. tOSU and Michigan are light years ahead of PSU in NIL $ being available to athletes.

Edited by 82bordeaux
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, 82bordeaux said:

I think just the opposite is true.

1. The state of PA is very restrictive regarding State Universities and how NIL is used.

2. PSU is very restrictive as well will the application of NIL dollars paid to athletes.

This was one of the beefs that Micah Shrewsberry had with Penn State. Cael is also not thrilled with how PSU has embraced the NIL arms race. tOSU and Michigan are light years ahead of PSU in NIL $ being available to athletes.

I was under the impression the restriction were at the direction of the previous AD, Sandy Barbour and that Kraft has loosened the NIL restrictions significantly. 

Maybe they don't have as much as anyone, but I was under the impression they had significant support there where Wrestling was concerned.

I don't find it surprising the PSU Basketball may lag behind, but are we sure that's about restrictions?

Also, Penn State isn't a "State School," as I understand it. It's received money from the State, but it's not controlled by the state and isn't required to adhere to State restrictions. This is something I'd just learned as saying Penn State isn't a State School seems silly on it's face, but I think they call it a "State-related school."

• Fire 1

56 minutes ago, scourge165 said:

I was under the impression the restriction were at the direction of the previous AD, Sandy Barbour and that Kraft has loosened the NIL restrictions significantly. 

Maybe they don't have as much as anyone, but I was under the impression they had significant support there where Wrestling was concerned.

I don't find it surprising the PSU Basketball may lag behind, but are we sure that's about restrictions?

Also, Penn State isn't a "State School," as I understand it. It's received money from the State, but it's not controlled by the state and isn't required to adhere to State restrictions. This is something I'd just learned as saying Penn State isn't a State School seems silly on it's face, but I think they call it a "State-related school."

I'm a big wrestling supporter of PSU. I support both the Penn State Wrestling Club as well as the NLWC. I also support the NIL collective Success with Honor on a monthly basis with my funds directed toward wrestling. I'd like to do more, but right now I can't with how things are run. I can't direct money toward trying to entice Aaron Nagao or anyone else to attend Penn State. I'd love to direct funds to benefit specific athletes, but I can't. It gets spread amongst rostered wrestlers. I can however, purchase their collectibles, shirts, or autographed photos, but that can happen anywhere and it doesn't entice an athlete to sign. The NIL recruiting myth is a myth, except at just a very few universities that have very specific donors that perhaps might be on a morning television show, and have more liberal uses of the NIL application.

Regarding Penn State and whether it is a "State School" or not, technically it is not. But it is under very firm influence of the state and state laws regarding the use of NIL. And regarding the fact that Cael's salary is not published isn't because PSU is not state run, it is because he is not in the top 25 salaries of the University. The 25th is the executive VP of health at $662,000. So he's under that. I'm guessing well under, but I'm sure he makes additional money from other sources besides the University.

There have been some changes with Success with Honor's leadership recently. And they want to get more aggressive in trying to benefit PSU athletes. But it is clear 80% of those efforts are directed towards football. another 15% towards basketball. Those are the money makers. Wrestling is possibly a distant 3rd, but I'm not even sure about that.

• Fire 2

8 hours ago, scourge165 said:

Does he go back to 125 and(edit) *try to win the spot there? He was a '25 until coming back to Iowa(even when Spencer wasn't Wrestling, but he'd probably prepared to Wrestle '33 by then).

Teske vs Ayala? 

Who cares. Iowa caught a break when PSU recruited him away in the first place but still managed to end up with him. PSU coaches have to be laughing away. 

Edited by BLT
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, 82bordeaux said:

I'm a big wrestling supporter of PSU. I support both the Penn State Wrestling Club as well as the NLWC. I also support the NIL collective Success with Honor on a monthly basis with my funds directed toward wrestling. I'd like to do more, but right now I can't with how things are run. I can't direct money toward trying to entice Aaron Nagao or anyone else to attend Penn State. I'd love to direct funds to benefit specific athletes, but I can't. It gets spread amongst rostered wrestlers. I can however, purchase their collectibles, shirts, or autographed photos, but that can happen anywhere and it doesn't entice an athlete to sign. The NIL recruiting myth is a myth, except at just a very few universities that have very specific donors that perhaps might be on a morning television show, and have more liberal uses of the NIL application.

Regarding Penn State and whether it is a "State School" or not, technically it is not. But it is under very firm influence of the state and state laws regarding the use of NIL. And regarding the fact that Cael's salary is not published isn't because PSU is not state run, it is because he is not in the top 25 salaries of the University. The 25th is the executive VP of health at $662,000. So he's under that. I'm guessing well under, but I'm sure he makes additional money from other sources besides the University.

There have been some changes with Success with Honor's leadership recently. And they want to get more aggressive in trying to benefit PSU athletes. But it is clear 80% of those efforts are directed towards football. another 15% towards basketball. Those are the money makers. Wrestling is possibly a distant 3rd, but I'm not even sure about that.

I get if you're part of the PSU collective, but that's not the only NIL money that an athlete can get. RBY got a deal with a Cliff Keen, he signed a VERY large deal with a MMA promoter who's signed several other PSU athletes.

It's not like the PSU Collective is the only source of revenue for these guys. 

12 hours ago, scourge165 said:

ISU is a top rival of PSU? Haven’t been in top 10 for last 10-12 years, including last 6 under Dresser.

7 hours ago, scourge165 said:

I get if you're part of the PSU collective, but that's not the only NIL money that an athlete can get. RBY got a deal with a Cliff Keen, he signed a VERY large deal with a MMA promoter who's signed several other PSU athletes.

It's not like the PSU Collective is the only source of revenue for these guys. 

This is true. But do you believe that Cliff Keen,an MMA promoter, Rudis, Nike, or any other company are actively trying to recruit athletes to a certain program?

I'm saying as an interested booster, how would I help Penn State land Aaron Nagao or Bernie Truax?

2 hours ago, 82bordeaux said:

I'm saying as an interested booster, how would I help Penn State land Aaron Nagao or Bernie Truax?

Maybe you should read the NCAA information on boosters, think it would indicate you should not/cannot help. 

3 hours ago, 82bordeaux said:

This is true. But do you believe that Cliff Keen,an MMA promoter, Rudis, Nike, or any other company are actively trying to recruit athletes to a certain program?

If Penn State is soo unbeatable and soo much better at developing talent then why are you guys soo concerned about where these transfers are going?

4 hours ago, 82bordeaux said:

Send it to him in scrip that’s only good in the PSU team store. 

17 minutes ago, BlacknGold said:

If Penn State is soo unbeatable and soo much better at developing talent then why are you guys soo concerned about where these transfers are going?

I'm not at all. All I'm saying is that NIL $ is not that much of a factor in most transfer's decision making as to their landing strip. Maybe 2 schools that are very active with NIL are an exception. I'm not concerned at all about where Nagao and Truax end up. Would I like them at Penn State? Sure. Do I think that Penn State is the best place for them to reach their goals? Sure do. But at the end of the day, those guys will end up where they feel they belong. Bags of cash will have nothing to do with it.

Edited by 82bordeaux
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, 82bordeaux said:

I'm not at all. All I'm saying is that NIL $ is not as much of a factor in most transfer's decision making as to landing strip. Maybe 2 schools that are very active with NIL are an exception. I'm not concerned at all about where Nagao and Truax end up. Would I like them at Penn State? Sure. Do I think that Penn State is the best place for them to reach their goals? Sure do. But at the end of the day, those guys will end up where they feel they belong. Bags of cash will have nothing to do with it.

Unless they feel they belong wherever bags of cash are. Kind of like me.

• Fire 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

Going back to the original post and question, I believe Iowa would and should recruit Nagao over Teske if they feel that gives them the best wrestler at 133. Every school in the country will recruit over their guy if it gives them a better shot at winning, college wrestling is a business and coaches treat it as such.

• Fire 2