• Playwire Ad Area

Would Iowa recruit over Teske if they can land Nagao?

I believe Nagao has a Olympic redshirt he could use, so it could fit nicely with Teske finishing out.

Nagao grey shirted out of high school, then redshirted, and finally wrestled this year. I don’t think he’d want to take another shirt but ya never know. He’s dealt with a lot of injuries going back to high school. I also strongly think he’s going to Penn state and I think they’re the reason he’s in the portal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

39 minutes ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

Have they ever wrestled? I'm not sure that Nagao would be a significant upgrade over Teskee.

I think he'd end up a pretty big upgrade over Teske long term. Maybe not a huge upgrade for 2023-24, but he had 6 losses(4 to RBY/Fix) and took 5th as a Freshmen. 

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

Have they ever wrestled? I'm not sure that Nagao would be a significant upgrade over Teskee.

Yes he would. Teske has done nothing in college to this point. They don't owe Teske anything. If they want to win anytime soon they need to get guys in the lineup that can score points at nationals and AA.

47 minutes ago, poorwrestler said:

Nagao grey shirted out of high school, then redshirted, and finally wrestled this year. I don’t think he’d want to take another shirt but ya never know. He’s dealt with a lot of injuries going back to high school. I also strongly think he’s going to Penn state and I think they’re the reason he’s in the portal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd guess they "encouraged" him to enter.

6 hours ago, BLT said:

Yes he would. Teske has done nothing in college to this point. They don't owe Teske anything. If they want to win anytime soon they need to get guys in the lineup that can score points at nationals and AA.

Sure. There are a couple programs I think you go into with your eyes wide open knowing that you either produce or they'll try and bring someone in to replace you.

It'll still be up to Teske to try and hold him off, but if Iowa is trying to get back to being IOWA and winning National Titles, they need to get the best. PSU just lost Beard, a guy who looks as though he'll be a contender the next two years. Who took a 7th as a Freshmen...

Stylistically, I don't know if Nagao beats Teskee on his feet. His advantage would be from top and I don't know if Teskee would be able to get out. It would be a closer wrestle-off than many might expect. Longer term, if Ayala fills out and moves up I am skeptical that Nagao would beat him too.

It makes a lot of sense, he would have great partners (Lee, Desanto, Real Woods). Its Tom Brands job to put as much talent as possible in the room during offseason, no one owns a starting spot. And I don't believe Nagao would have much trouble with Teske in regards to the starting lineup. Nothing personal, Teske is tough but maybe not that tough. Hopefully Iowa lands one of the big fish (Nagao, Cannon, Truax)

Nagao would fit perfectly in Iowas lineup if he takes his Olympic Redshirt and then slots in after Teske. 

But there is a lot of speculation and rumor that he lands at PSU. As a Hawkeye Fan I would love for him to come to Iowa but I just don’t see it because many are saying PSU is favored to land him. No matter what, I am excited to see him land somewhere or stay put at Minnesota, he’s a great wrestler! 

2 minutes ago, Indiana-Hawk-Wrestling-Fan said:

Nagao would fit perfectly in Iowas lineup if he takes his Olympic Redshirt and then slots in after Teske. 

But there is a lot of speculation and rumor that he lands at PSU. As a Hawkeye Fan I would love for him to come to Iowa but I just don’t see it because many are saying PSU is favored to land him. No matter what, I am excited to see him land somewhere or stay put at Minnesota, he’s a great wrestler! 

He can just jump straight into the lineup, no redshirt, no hard feelings. Moreover I wouldn't buy every rumor, it was commonly said a year ago that Real Woods was going to PSU......

On 4/7/2023 at 8:06 PM, BLT said:

I'd guess they "encouraged" him to enter.

Nagao was on Basch-a-mania yesterday.  It really sounded like Basch contacted him about transfer portal a couple weeks ago.  Nagao said something about not considering it until Basch contacted him, but deciding to enter the portal a week later.  This was sort of "glossed over" but it certainly sounded like what happened.  Basch made sure that Nagao said he has not been offered any money by anyone at this point.

31 minutes ago, Indiana-Hawk-Wrestling-Fan said:

That’s crazy then, I wonder what will happen with Teske then. I really like him even if his results in the previous season wasn’t the best (we’ll ver underwhelming). 

I'm not sure what to expect from Teske.  I try to keep in mind that it sounds like he missed a lot of time this year due to a serious case of staph.  I'm not sure exactly how bad, or how much it effected him, but he missed quite a few matches.  Something to think about.

2 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

I'm not sure what to expect from Teske.  I try to keep in mind that it sounds like he missed a lot of time this year due to a serious case of staph.  I'm not sure exactly how bad, or how much it effected him, but he missed quite a few matches.  Something to think about.

Does he go back to 125 and(edit) *try to win the spot there? He was a '25 until coming back to Iowa(even when Spencer wasn't Wrestling, but he'd probably prepared to Wrestle '33 by then).

Teske vs Ayala? 

Edited by scourge165
  • Fire 1