• Playwire Ad Area

Rosselli Resigns

MPhillips

10 minutes ago, Formally140 said:

That would be super crappy to Stanfords program and might even put the program at risk again… especially given how much they paid him

Just the fact he took the trip kind of tells you he is getting the support he was expecting from Stanford, not a good sign for the future of the program.  😞

25 minutes ago, ionel said:

Just the fact he took the trip kind of tells you he is getting the support he was expecting from Stanford, not a good sign for the future of the program.  😞

Also true, I remember people stressing about Oklahomas program as well though

5 minutes ago, Formally140 said:

Also true, I remember people stressing about Oklahomas program as well though

Oklahoma wrestling has been on the hot seat for some time now, dealing with Title IX issues. Luckily alumni and donors have been keeping the program afloat for awhile. I've heard that OU really wants their wrestling program to work

On 4/5/2023 at 7:19 PM, Packard said:

It’s a shame seeing the decline of both OK programs. When looking at coaching jobs an old head coach once told me, “The guys that were there got there for a reason. They didn’t forget how to coach all of a sudden.” 

Mark Cody did a great job at his other stops and Rosselli was put on the same level as Casey Cunningham. 

Probably gonna be hard to sustain success at either program until OK HS wrestling gets good again. Even if one of MI, Iowa, and Ohio take a dip in HS the travel to another talent rich place is so much closer. 

Mark Cody was given the job at OU because he told them he could raise money, like he did at American. They really liked that idea. Well he did raise a little and then spent it on a lavish trip to Hawaii to wrestle American, Minnesota, and some other team. The following week, OU went to the east coast to wrestle.....American again. That was the nail in the coffin for Cody and good riddance. 

I was surprised that they paid out the money to land Lou in the first place, I hope they land another quality coach. 

2 hours ago, ionel said:

That might be right. I figured as long as he's being paid well and has the support of the AD, Koll would be living easy at Stanford. Guess not. 

1 hour ago, TexRef said:

Mark Cody was given the job at OU because he told them he could raise money, like he did at American. They really liked that idea. Well he did raise a little and then spent it on a lavish trip to Hawaii to wrestle American, Minnesota, and some other team. The following week, OU went to the east coast to wrestle.....American again. That was the nail in the coffin for Cody and good riddance. 

I was surprised that they paid out the money to land Lou in the first place, I hope they land another quality coach. 

Oregon State was the other team. Also, that was an individual tournament, not duals.

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, ionel said:

42 minutes ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

That might be right. I figured as long as he's being paid well and has the support of the AD, Koll would be living easy at Stanford. Guess not. 

It's not unusual to take a trip elsewhere to bolster your salary where you already are.

1 minute ago, gimpeltf said:

It's not unusual to take a trip elsewhere to bolster your salary where you already are.

He just took the job, you don't do that one or two years after hired. 

1 minute ago, gimpeltf said:

Maybe you don't. He did. I assume even if he went with the main thought of actually taking that job, if Stanford comes through ...

Find me an example of a head D1 wrestling coach (or fb or bb) that gets a great salary etc deal to another D1 program who then two years later in interviewing with a lesser D1 program and is just doing so to get a salary bump.   

2 minutes ago, ionel said:

Find me an example of a head D1 wrestling coach (or fb or bb) that gets a great salary etc deal to another D1 program who then two years later in interviewing with a lesser D1 program and is just doing so to get a salary bump.   

Deion Sanders

2 hours ago, charmon55 said:

Oklahoma wrestling has been on the hot seat for some time now, dealing with Title IX issues. Luckily alumni and donors have been keeping the program afloat for awhile. I've heard that OU really wants their wrestling program to work

Fingers crossed 

4 hours ago, charmon55 said:

Sounds Like OU is getting Rob Koll, he is visiting Norman this week

Hoping Koll stays @ Stanford. 

D1 Wrestling needs the West Coast to remain relevant.  Plus, Koll in the Big 12 just seems weird.

Storniolo, to me, would make the most sense.  Of course, I am not in the know.

2 hours ago, charmon55 said:

If you have Title IX issues, just take a page out of the Iowa playbook and add a women's program

5 minutes ago, Show_Me said:

Hoping Koll stays @ Stanford. 

D1 Wrestling needs the West Coast to remain relevant.  Plus, Koll in the Big 12 just seems weird.

Storniolo, to me, would make the most sense.  Of course, I am not in the know.

I really want west coast wrestling to do well

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

I really thought with all the talent in Cali, and the way he was able to recruit at Cornell, he'd have a lot of success there.
Built a powerhouse out West at @Formally140stated. There's so much talent out there and relatively few programs. 

I really hope this doesn't end up being the death knell for Stanford...and it's tough to imagine OU dropping their program. It's surprising to hear that it was even being talked about.