• Playwire Ad Area

Dropped programs

TexRef

Just now, TexRef said:

Unfortunately it is that time of year. I heard that Limestone has dropped their women's program. Not sure if the men's program was spared or if they both got the axe. Could @Jason Bryant share some insight on this? Are there any other programs that have bit the dust?

Iowa Wesleyan. Though it was the entire school that bit the dust rather than just the wrestling program.

• Fire 1
  • Stalling 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

@Wrestleknownothing That's right! I just read that a few days ago. Thanks for the reminder. 

I have read several articles about schools in the rust belt and Midwest struggling to get new students & retain current students. So I am surprised when I see that a D3 school in the Midwest has added wrestling. I love more college wrestling, but I also fear that they will not be around in a few short years. 

Edited by TexRef

Division I didn’t exist until 1974. I’m still in the midst of actually quantifying program totals prior to 1981-82 when the NCAA started tracking participation statistics. Issue is counting dual affiliates, etc. The NAIA didn’t track participation stats until recently. I have a list of known dropped and added programs on my almanac site. I’m still trying to confirm all the schools in that list. Some were counted multiple times on the first list I was given in 2005 (due to name changes and poor research).

• Fire 1

Insert catchy tagline here. 

54 minutes ago, mspart said:

image.png.866a61a20d034ff5fcec26b870484219.png

Good to know U of Wash was leading the charge.   I went to BYU and after I got out Mark Schultz was leading the team and doing well.  Then BYU dropped wrestling.   I still haven't forgiven them. 

mspart

You better not forgive them. Nobody likes a quitter! 

1 hour ago, mspart said:

image.png.866a61a20d034ff5fcec26b870484219.png

Good to know U of Wash was leading the charge.   I went to BYU and after I got out Mark Schultz was leading the team and doing well.  Then BYU dropped wrestling.   I still haven't forgiven them. 

mspart

Was Aaron Hoelker their last AA before the drop? 

34 minutes ago, 11986 said:

Was Aaron Hoelker their last AA before the drop? 

I believe he was.  There were a few other tough wrestlers on that squad that transferred out and did well.  Chael Sonnen actually started at BYU before he transferred to Oregon where he "All-Americaned".  I also remember Rocky and Rangi Smart.  I think Rocky transferred to Arizona State and did well.  BYU wrestling archives are hard to come by, it seems the University did all they could to get rid of the program history.....

BYU also used to have a very colorful announcer for their home duals, his commentary and introductions were something else.

Edited by Warm Up Champ
  • Fire 2

It is crazy to think Steve Sanderson (Cael's father) was not offered the job at BYU and then swore that his boys would not go to BYU. What would the landscape of college wrestling look like in the western states had Steve got the job instead of Schultz? 

• Fire 2