• Playwire Ad Area

Insert Name Each Position GOAT Edition

PortaJohn

4 hours ago, scribers said:

Askren GOAT funk/junk

If Askren were to win any, it'd be grip and shoulder flexibility. I don't think he ever gave up a TD on a go-behind if he could lock his hands around the leg above the knee.

I remember Herbert...when it looked like Ivan Drago vs "a bag of Milk," ...as Jake Paul put it, and Herbert had both hands and all his hip pressure trying to break Askren's lock and could-not-do it.

Neutral Goat-Stephan Abas

Single Leg Goat-Lincoln Mcllravy(I'm counting the boot scoot as a single since...well, he drags and then goes into a single and there's not arm drag)

Low Single Goat-...c'mon...too easy

Blast Double-Gable Stevenson

Running Double Goat-Stephen Neal

Best Foot Sweep-Steve Mocco(Steve/Stephens are REALLY born to be great Wrestlers).

Sprawl Goat-Andrew Howe

Hi-C- Kolat

Firemans- Dan Gable

Escape Goat-I don't know...all the best. You can't be a stud if you're ridden. Though...I'd say Zain was the quickest to get out.

Reversals Goat-Bo Nickal-- Bryce Andronian would be up there, but...ya know, gotta win an NC to be on the list.

Best Wrestling Announcer-SANDY STEPHENS and ED ALIVERTI! 

Now-The REAL GOATS

Best spinning submission moves in an unwinnable match- Austin DeSanto

Best pre-match Warm-up- Iowa State Old School Robes

Weirdest philosophy not supported by Science to maximize testosterone -Ryan Deakin 

Best Celebratory Backflip interrupted by angry Iowian=Darian Caldwell

Most blank expression regardless of match scenario-Mark Hall

Best sideways coach clap by a non-coach- Moriah Marinelli

Wrestler God loves the most-Every Wrestler who's won

Wrestler who's urine analysis would break USADA's drug testing...Goat- Brock Lessner

And MOST importantly...most HUMBLE Wrestler/Inmate-AJ Ferrari(Man I wish I knew what this guy could deadlift...but he's so shy about sharing his physical accomplishments). 

Edited by scourge165

21 minutes ago, ionel said:

I wondered if he'd get a mention.

I mean, he may lose in a H2H with Spencer Lee per Wrestlestat, but he was/is arguably the greatest HWT ever...with respect to Tommy Rowlands who went 2,1,6,1

Actually got injured in the Semi's in a match he was likely to win and then a TB loss as a Freshmen, the only thing stopping him from being the only D1 Wrestler to win 3 Titles at HWT, but still...2,1,6,1 with a legit injury...for a guy who started at 103 in HS, THAT'S impressive. 

So GOAT Wrestler to start at 103 and finish as a 4X AA, 3X Finalist, 2X Champ at HWT-Tommy Rowlands!

Boom...another one Better Call Saul's Character can't start a topic over!

7 hours ago, scourge165 said:

corrections in Bold

f Askren were to win any, it'd be grip and shoulder flexibility. I don't think he ever gave up a TD on a go-behind if he could lock his hands around the leg above the knee.

I remember Herbert...when it looked like Ivan Drago vs "a bag of Milk," ...as Jake Paul put it, and Herbert had both hands and all his hip pressure trying to break Askren's lock and could-not-do it.

Neutral Goat-Stephan Abas

Single Leg Goat-Lincoln Mcllravy(I'm counting the boot scoot as a single since...well, he drags and then goes into a single and there's not arm drag)

Low Single Goat-...c'mon...too easy -- college board = abas

Blast Double-Gable Stevenson

Running Double Goat-Stephen Neal

Best Foot Sweep-Steve Mocco(Steve/Stephens are REALLY born to be great Wrestlers).

Sprawl Goat-Andrew Howe -- john smith ; iowa pick yo poison - mcdonough

Hi-C- Kolat -- most important  ugliest hi-c in the history of the NCAAs Pat Smith vs Tom Ryan ... it almost put Dan Gable in the hospital

Firemans- Dan Gable -- outside/near arm far leg/ dump = Metcalf or DeSanto (caused RBY to wrestle with one hand); inline = Kenny Moday

Escape Goat-I don't know...all the best. You can't be a stud if you're ridden. Though...I'd say Zain was the quickest to get out. -- whoever the poor fools were who were on the losing end of Iowa's catch n release humiliations duri g the 90's. More recent examples would be DeSantos' victims

Reversals Goat-Bo Nickal-- Bryce Andronian would be up there, but...ya know, gotta win an NC to be on the list. -- rejecting your nc qualification, gotta go with steve garland's reversal of strittmter in the quarters.

Best Wrestling Announcer-SANDY STEPHENS and ED ALIVERTI! -- "illegal fist to the back" dude.

Now-The REAL GOATS

Best spinning submission moves in an unwinnable match- Austin DeSanto

Best pre-match Warm-up- Iowa State Old School Robes

Weirdest philosophy not supported by Science to maximize testosterone -Ryan Deakin 

Best Celebratory Backflip interrupted by angry Iowian=Darian Caldwell

Most blank expression regardless of match scenario-Mark Hall

Best sideways coach clap by a non-coach- Moriah Marinelli

Wrestler God loves the most-Every Wrestler who's won

Wrestler who's urine analysis would break USADA's drug testing...Goat- Brock Lessner

And MOST importantly...most HUMBLE Wrestler/Inmate-AJ Ferrari(Man I wish I knew what this guy could deadlift...but he's so shy about sharing his physical accomplishments). 

55 minutes ago, Frank Scrivener said:

Thread made it this long without foot sweep goat Mocco?

Illegal front headlock goat the East Lansing Strangler.

Not 100 percent, but nominate Schlatter for duckunder goat. 🦆🐐

Gotta be an Okie state guy for the duck under. I’d go John smith for low single and duck under 

6 hours ago, Frank Scrivener said:

Thread made it this long without foot sweep goat Mocco?

Illegal front headlock goat the East Lansing Strangler.

Not 100 percent, but nominate Schlatter for duckunder goat. 🦆🐐

Nope! 

16 hours ago, scourge165 said:

Side note, these debates get me going back and watching older Wrestlers...like Mocco vs Rowlands, and honestly, the "best Wrestler ever" debate just gets sillier. These guys are ALL sooooo close. Again, Rowlands, a serious injured very possibly stopped him from winning his 3rd and he lost a TBer in the Finals as a Freshmen at HWT...a Freshmen who'd been a 103 in HS. 

He was a HWT with over 700 career TDs and 164 career wins. If HE'D just gotten done Wrestling, we'd likely be debating about where he comes in all time. 

5 hours ago, Gus said:

Gotta be an Okie state guy for the duck under. I’d go John smith for low single and duck under 

I mean...yeah, definitely Smith. But as he's already got the low single, how about Dustin Schlatter's. He won an NCAA Title on pretty much nothing but a Duck.

Also, Mark Hall had a pretty nasty one. 

Clarion's James Fleming and his "Snapper Roll" GOAT...

AA 5th @ the 2012 NCAA's

From a Tibe Live article 3/25/23:

And then there is the “snapper roll,” Fleming's signature move, highly effective and violent. And his very own. It started in high school, evolving into a powerful weapon that has produced complaints, controversy and many of his 121 collegiate wins, which rank 10th in school history.

The name derives from his nickname and not because he is trying to break off his adversary's head, even though it might look that way. After frequent and vehement resistance, coaches and officials gradually have come to accept the move. Rival fans unaccustomed to it still react harshly.

“We had some problems my freshman and sophomore year,” Fleming said. “They said I was choking people. The thing is, it's a one-of-a-kind move, and most people would think you'd be choking somebody.”

One coach was so convinced that he sprinted onto the mat when one of his wrestlers screamed in pain. Other coaches and officials “were literally all over (Fleming),” said Moore, who lobbied the NCAA for the move, sending a video to prove its legality.

“Officials would come into the prematch meeting and say, ‘Look, I know what this guy does. I'm gonna call it,' I'd say, ‘What are you gonna call? The way he locks it up is legal.' Just because it's extremely painful, there's nothing in the rulebook that says it's illegal.”

Constant pressure

The move, which can slightly deprive an opponent of oxygen, has several variations. In the base move, Fleming locks his hands across the opponent's jaw line with his left thumb by the right ear and his right shoulder covering the left ear. The head is turned sideways, and “I'm torquing his head underneath him,” Fleming said. “The pressure on the jaw and on the neck is what inclines people to go over.”

Meaning on their back. Where they get pinned.

“It's tight and uncomfortable, but it's under constant pressure, more than like a hard snap or anything,” he said.

Fleming does not hide the move's effectiveness and how it inflicts what is known as “legal pain.”

“The good thing about my move is that a guy won't want to go out on the mat and wrestle me again,” he said matter-of-factly. “I stay in people's heads. I want them to know that the next time they wrestle me again, it's gonna suck. I make that part of my goal. People don't like that.”

Clarion coach Troy Letters said, “There are a lot of guys that are afraid to wrestle him. James can sense that. And when he does, it's lights out. He's like a lion that way.”

Among the unafraid is Fleming's teammate and wrestling partner, Mikey Pavasko, who has felt the wrath of the move more than anyone. He said he is “extremely fortunate” for the privilege.

“He's a great leader,” said Pavasko, a sophomore from Munhall. “He shows me what I'm doing wrong, and he wants to build me up as a better partner.”

But it hurts, right?

“You can't even put it into words,” Pavasko said. “Yeah, it's painful.”

Using tactics, familiarity with the move and his considerable skills, Northwestern's Jason Welch is 3-0 against Fleming, beating him twice in the NCAA Tournament. The first time, Fleming said, the referee called the move illegal but not before he made an impression. “My neck was killing me for like a week afterward,” Welch said.

The two have developed a mutual respect and friendship. They even hung out together after last year's NCAAs. Welch is ranked No. 1, and another meeting in the tournament is possible. “I'd love to see that,” Welch said.

Amateur wrestling is tough, demanding and often violent. Yet even in that context, “You rarely get kids this aggressive,” said Moore, a former North Allegheny High School star and NCAA champion. “When we brought him into Clarion, the first thing we said was, ‘Don't change your style at all.' We wanted to tweak some things, but my thought was, ‘If he wrestles with this tenacity in college, he's gonna go far.' ”

cheers!

D3

• Fire 1

4 hours ago, scourge165 said:

I mean...yeah, definitely Smith. But as he's already got the low single, how about Dustin Schlatter's. He won an NCAA Title on pretty much nothing but a Duck.

Also, Mark Hall had a pretty nasty one. 

Schlatter’s duck was nasty. When you are the USA GOAT like John smith you are just going to naturally own a couple goat categories. 

• Fire 1

4 hours ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

Leg Pass - Delgado

Underhook - IMAR

Footsweep - Lackey*

*I agree that Mocco was the most prolific, what with his Judo background, but quality over quantity, my friends.

Labriola has a great leg pass 

• Fire 2

2 hours ago, Gus said:

Schlatter’s duck was nasty. When you are the USA GOAT like John smith you are just going to naturally own a couple goat categories. 

Eh, I feel like John Smith was overrated. 

(I mean, if we're gonna make a threat in honor of our favorite Cinnamon themed pasty, we have to keep some of the same nonsense, no?)

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, scourge165 said:

Eh, I feel like John Smith was overrated. 

(I mean, if we're gonna make a threat in honor of our favorite Cinnamon themed pasty, we have to keep some of the same nonsense, no?)

In honor of Jimmy, guys that were overrated: John Smith, Jordan Burroughs, Cael Sanderson, Dan Gable

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Gus said:

In honor of Jimmy, guys that were overrated: John Smith, Jordan Burroughs, Cael Sanderson, Dan Gable

Cael Sanderson is definitely slipping as a HC. 

Future Thread that I'm about 99% Sure Jimmy will start before next years NCAAs.

"Is Penn State's run over?"
"Will Cael ever win another team title?"

Edited by scourge165