• Playwire Ad Area

Starocci to 165 for 24 a possibility?

One8alpha

6 minutes ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

One year ago, a lotta people thought RBY would beat Fix again and coast to another title. 

yea I hear ya - anything is possible but I still feel Carter has the edge in attitude and confidence which he backs up on the mat.  

I feel like the best thing the other programs could do is to respect Starocci, fawn over him next season, give him a lot of positive attention. He wrestles best when he has a chip on his shoulder and people doubt him. Like Donnell Washington or the way some fans talked back when he was competitive with Kemdawg. I give him a better chance at winning his 4th if Washington bumps back up to 184 with him, lol

• Fire 1

56 minutes ago, Voice of the Quakers said:

Taylor can't wrestle forever.

Assuming Starocci can't make 74KG (he seems awfully thick at 174), the interesting question is who becomes NLWC's chosen one after Taylor at 89KG: Starroci or Brooks?

They don’t do favorites at NLWC. They had Nolf and brought Dake in at 74 kg

2 hours ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

One year ago, a lotta people thought RBY would beat Fix again and coast to another title. 

Carter seems like a different animal.  His ego isn't complacent like RBY's.  He wants to continue feeding it which makes him that much more dangerous

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

1 hour ago, Voice of the Quakers said:

Assuming Starocci can't make 74KG (he seems awfully thick at 174), the interesting question is who becomes NLWC's chosen one after Taylor at 89KG: Starroci or Brooks?

15 minutes ago, Gus said:

They don’t do favorites at NLWC. They had Nolf and brought Dake in at 74 kg

Been saying this for years.  Aaron Brooks is far better at Freestyle than he is at Folk.  Starrocci isn't at his level in Free and AB would make easy work of him.  When AB came into Colorado Springs after his senior year of HS he pushed a lot of the senior level wrestlers.  Left quite an impression.  

1 hour ago, Voice of the Quakers said:

Based on his interview, sounds like Starocci will make a run at the Olympics in 2024 and then move on to mma. I could see Brooks sticking with wrestling longer

1 hour ago, PortaJohn said:

Carter seems like a different animal.  His ego isn't complacent like RBY's.  He wants to continue feeding it which makes him that much more dangerous

Didn't he pretty much say that NCAA titles are cool but he's bored smacking college kids around? He said D1 titles aren't the apex of wrestling and talked about winning Olympic gold as his next goal. It doesn't sound like he feels challenged at all with college wrestling.

1 hour ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

Didn't he pretty much say that NCAA titles are cool but he's bored smacking college kids around? He said D1 titles aren't the apex of wrestling and talked about winning Olympic gold as his next goal. It doesn't sound like he feels challenged at all with college wrestling.

Yes, my response was meant to mock Starrocci...rereading it I'm realizing I did a bad job.  As a fan Im not too pleased with the recent inflated egoism running rampant in the Nittany Lion program

Edited by PortaJohn
  • Fire 2

15 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

He's bigger than Brooks, I doubt it.

2023 CMW: NCAA D1: FINALS

What I'm struck by here in this photo is how few of the champs in this photo are from the Big 10.  Two from Penn State and one from Michigan.  The only 2023 NCAA wrestling champion missing in this photo is also not from a Big 10 school.  That being Andrew Alirez of Northern Colorado.

42 minutes ago, NearFall said:

What I'm struck by here in this photo is how few of the champs in this photo are from the Big 10.  Two from Penn State and one from Michigan.  The only 2023 NCAA wrestling champion missing in this photo is also not from a Big 10 school.  That being Andrew Alirez of Northern Colorado.

Andrew Alirez is in the photo. Look closer. 

4 hours ago, NearFall said:

A couple of massive upsets and it was a down year...in the finals.

Just last year you had 8 of 10 and at least 1 of those runner ups was from the B1G. 

I'm guessing there have been other years where there have been "just" 3 NCs from the B1G. 

5 minutes ago, PencilNeck said:

B1G had finalists at 125, 133, 141, 149, 157, 174 (x2), 184, and HWT (x2), so only half of the tournament's finalists.

You have to keep in mind that some elite wrestlers may not quite have the academic chops to make it at a big ten institution.

Cornell and Princeton definitely do not have the chops to make it in a B1G institution 

21 hours ago, JVStateChamp said:

I think its a stretch to put him above Dake and Burroughs. Although a different weight class we already saw Marstellar beat Starocci, but I could easily be eating my words in a year. Just not ready to give him that bump yet.

Yeah, that was a strange match though. Marsteller basically made two attempts there. That early arm spin. Then Starocci came back and attacked for the next minute and was somehow put on the clock when it seemed like it should have been Marsteller.

There was also that clear step out when Starocci was in deep on a shot that should have been called...IMO.

Plus, it's not like Marsteller is some scrub, but he hung on with 2 attempts for dear life. 

I wouldn't put him above either of those two just yet, but he'll be two years removed(and likewise, they'll be two more years older, beat up by then). I think Dake posses a bigger threat than Burroughs. Starocci is going to have the size advantage on JB by quite a bit. Though Dake is a big 74KG and CS shouldn't have much of an edge on him. Especially after he cuts another 11 pounds.