• Playwire Ad Area

Rating Tulsa - How'd they do?

Warm Up Champ

29 minutes ago, Formally140 said:

Wanting a location with adequate much less actually good.. and most importantly.. ENOUGH hotels, bars, and food venues.. isn’t “dissing” on blue collar republican America the way you’re trying to say.. especially because Ohio and Missouri aren’t what one would call “blue” states…. and everyone was happy with those venues. 

Wasn't really my point and not sure where you are talking about in Ohio but are you suggesting St Louis isn't blue?!  😮

1 minute ago, ionel said:

Wasn't really my point and not sure where you are talking about in Ohio but are you suggesting St Louis isn't blue?!  😮

Oh I understood your point pretty clearly. all of it. Not just what I addressed. 

St. Louis ain’t Chicago or nyc blue.. 

Leaving all that aside, getting mad that the best places to host are where there are actually people is just.. something 

14 minutes ago, Formally140 said:

Oh I understood your point pretty clearly. all of it. Not just what I addressed. 

St. Louis ain’t Chicago or nyc blue.. 

Leaving all that aside, getting mad that the best places to host are where there are actually people is just.. something 

But maybe other people would also like to go.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4 hours ago, ionel said:

So the tournament should only be held in big blue states and big blue cities.  Folks in smaller cities, towns & rural America shouldn't be part of our sport.  How about enjoying discovering the diversity of this great country.  I remember going to National Duals (yes before Carl & Tommie nixed it) in Cleveland, fighting a major snow storm to get there, lots of snow and very cold, we basically went from small hotel room to arena & back, we didn't care, we went to watch wrestling not eat at 5☆ restaurants.

Maybe we should just rotate the tourney between Tokyo & Delhi, Chicago & NYC seem small to me.  :(

There have been a few weak points ,at some of the NCAA championships , over the last 10 years or so. Tulsa was pisspoor. 

FWIW...

the boy squaded up with his crew and drove out there...

not one of them had anything negative to say about it...

but they don't really whine too much about anything...

the just focus on doing...

5 hours ago, ionel said:

Maybe we should just rotate the tourney between Tokyo & Delhi, Chicago & NYC seem small to me.  :(

The year they held Nationals in NYC people were bitching up a storm about how difficult it was.

St. Louis is fine and familiar, but a lot of people seem burnt out on that location. 

Arena - 9/10. I didnt show up for gourmet nachos or $16 Coors Lights in a fancy cup.  I came for a seat to watch wrestling.  They had the same seats everyone else does

Town - 8/10.  Tulsa sucks but the chicks are easy.  If I were married, it would be 0/10

Entertainment - 10/10.  Awesome, awesome tournament.  Being able to go out and get local bimbos in minutes at Orphas or Japanese chicks at Jinyas was as good or better than watching Max Murin stall his way to 6th place.

Fans - 6/10.  The Iowa crowd wasnt as hardcore or boisterous as normal.  I live in Raider Nation and Iowa fans usually out do them.  Not this time.  Kind of like the Romans when they knew the underdog was gonna get killed by the lion.  I moved it from 4 to 6 because of the chubby Hawkeye scorekeeper that hit the hot tub and stayed over.  She was vocal if you know what I mean.  Hotel staff called the room and told us to quiet down.  We didnt.  Penn state fans were knowledgeable and nice.  Im not a fan of the school or their wrestlers, but they made me feel at home.  I gave up my seat so that the 157lb kid's brother could sit next to his family and it was cool seeing them root and cheer for him. 

Local Food - 2/10.  I went from Portland to San Diego to Vegas.  Tulsa sucks. 

Overall - 10/10.  I didnt come for fancy steak houses like The Outback, Caviar, local theater, or a bustling night time downtown close to the arena.  I came for The Landing Strip, to watch Iowa get their ass kicked, and chubby girls from the next door.  Tulsa came through in spades.  I was disappointed that Lee and Truax didnt hit their goal; I feel bad for them because they are tough and they work hard but like Brands says "you get what you earn".  Both guys have made me a fan over the years.  Huge fan of the Iowa scorekeepers as well as the the 2 girls at the Adams Apartments.  NCAA's arent coming back to Tulsa but god dammit, I am.

• Haha 3

On 4/3/2023 at 3:36 PM, CHROMEBIRD said:

The year they held Nationals in NYC people were bitching up a storm about how difficult it was.

St. Louis is fine and familiar, but a lot of people seem burnt out on that location. 

Most people will love KC next year.  The T-Mobile Center is an easy 20 minute drive from the newly refurbished airport, right off the intersection of 2 interstates, and right in the middle of the Power and Light district.  They hosted Big 12's a few years ago and did a great job.  Can't wait!

https://www.powerandlightdistrict.com/

pld_exteriorpano_master_1500x550.ashx

Edited by KCMO2
  • Fire 1

On 4/3/2023 at 1:18 PM, Formally140 said:

Calm down. Big venues/events need the appropriate facilities and environment. NCAAs is a social event for the wrestling community.. not just a wrestling tournament. Many people get to see other people they haven’t seen or talked to in a long time. It being an “event” is what makes it special. 

Wanting a location with adequate much less actually good.. and most importantly.. ENOUGH hotels, bars, and food venues.. isn’t “dissing” on blue collar republican America the way you’re trying to say.. especially because Ohio and Missouri aren’t what one would call “blue” states…. and everyone was happy with those venues. 

LOL...how the hell did this turn into a Red/Blue political debate? 

You need infrastructure. It's really that simple. 

St Louis is...AWESOME. They have done the best job IMO. If it's in STL, I'm going. If it's in NYC again I'll go(MSG and Wrestling was just...so unique and cool).

I had no interest in going to Tulsa because of those damn Republicans! LOL..OR I'd just been there and it wasn't the most exciting outside of the Wrestling(Which as noted, is always great). 

Just now, scourge165 said:

LOL...how the hell did this turn into a Red/Blue political debate? 

You need infrastructure. It's really that simple. 

St Louis is...AWESOME. They have done the best job IMO. If it's in STL, I'm going. If it's in NYC again I'll go(MSG and Wrestling was just...so unique and cool).

I had no interest in going to Tulsa because of those damn Republicans! LOL..OR I'd just been there and it wasn't the most exciting outside of the Wrestling(Which as noted, is always great). 

Shrug.

• Fire 1

On 4/3/2023 at 4:54 PM, Jason Bryant said:

Pick any location - we will complain about it. 

I disagree with this premise. You can’t say this to justify a location. Some complaints are warranted. Others aren’t. Some are petty. Some complaints are major obstacles. 

• Fire 2

2 minutes ago, Southend said:

I disagree with this premise. You can’t say this to justify a location. Some complaints are warranted. Others aren’t. Some are petty. Some complaints are major obstacles. 

people whine and mewl about everything...

it is a total valid statement...

7 minutes ago, Southend said:

I'm not justifying any location. I'm speaking from experience on how we as a fanbase will never be satisfied with anything. 

• Fire 2

Insert catchy tagline here. 

2 hours ago, Southend said:

Yeah, this and it's also kinda lazy to say "the fanbase" is complaining about X because you have a handful of people complaining.

"The fanbase" save for a very small number of people don't complain about St. Louis. They seem pretty satisfied with the NCAAs behind held there. 

You're absolutely right...some complaints are warranted. Others aren't. There's a bit more nuance to it than seeing someone in a thread saying, "I don't like the cobblestone in St. Louis," and saying, "see, the fan base complains about everything. Does it? Or is it like 3 people out of tens of thousands?

• Fire 2

Yeah, this and it's also kinda lazy to say "the fanbase" is complaining about X because you have a handful of people complaining.
"The fanbase" save for a very small number of people don't complain about St. Louis. They seem pretty satisfied with the NCAAs behind held there. 

You're absolutely right...some complaints are warranted. Others aren't. There's a bit more nuance to it than seeing someone in a thread saying, "I don't like the cobblestone in St. Louis," and saying, "see, the fan base complains about everything. Does it? Or is it like 3 people out of tens of thousands?

St. Louis the last two times definitely wasn’t what it was in 04-05 and 08. 2021 was an outlier since nothing was really back up to speed yet. I hear STL is getting an update, but the last time it was there with fans was full of issues the location hadn’t previously had. NYC was fantastic on a number of accounts. Checked most of the boxes I look for in an event, venue, etc. But those who are used to driving next to the arena, parking and not moving for 4 days didn’t like it. I’ve been going for over 20 years … been to 51 college wrestling national championships across all divisions. People also tend to b*tch at me about stuff that’s wrong anyway … so maybe I’m catching more of it than most? I mean, one example is fans texting me that the brackets in the concourse aren’t updated. That sucks, but not something I can fix … I’ve heard every complaint under the sun about nearly every facility and location we’ve been in … and STL isn’t immune to that criticism either.
  • Fire 1

Insert catchy tagline here. 

5 hours ago, Jason Bryant said:

I'm not justifying any location. I'm speaking from experience on how we as a fanbase will never be satisfied with anything. 

Sorry,But you are, by saying this. If the People that have legitimate reasons, problems with the event being held in Tulsa , and are put into your “a fan base will never be satisfied with anything “ this justifies Tulsa is as good as any location to have the  Championship. 

• Fire 1