• Playwire Ad Area

Looking at history, no one should be shocked that Vito dominated RBY so badly

Jimmy Cinnabon

I didn't know this because I'm a PSU fan, and not a Cornell fan but:

1. Vito was 216-1 in high school in NY.  Which is a much better wrestling state than Arizona.  RBY was undefeated but Arizona is pretty low on the list of best wrestling states.

2. Vito is way more credentialed in FS wrestling.  Cadet silver in 2016, Jr World silver in 2019, bronze at 2019 US Nationals, gold at 2020 US Nationals, gold at 2021 Pan Ams.  He also beat RBY badly at FS in both meetings.

3. Vito has better wrestling heritage - he's Russian and his dad was a 2x Russian freestyle champ AND a Olympic bronze medalist (1992 Barcelona).

4. Vito goes to arguably the best school for developing elite wrestlers.

5. Vito is also considerably taller/longer than RBY while being just as fast and quick.

So notwithstanding how good RBY is, it's not like Vito was some schlub with no wrestling chops.  His credentials (other than previously winning a NCAA title) and physical characteristics are all superior to RBY.  So hats off to him for winning it all and winning OW. Well deserved.  RBY still had an amazing career and I look forward to cheering for him in the UFC.  

Edited by Jimmy Cinnabon
typos
  • Fire 1

J C - I feel like you could be a very valued and respected member of the wrestling community …. If you were not so focused on being a passive aggressive putz / troll.

Ever think about just being someone that helps to foster conversations and not being a putz?

Vougar is Azerbaijani. He was more accomplished than you suggest. He was 2x gold 1x silver world champ on top of a bunch of junior and European titles.

Vito has been among the best of the young freestylers for some time.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

I haven't watched Vito a ton.  As a VT fan his semi and finals performances surprised me given that Latona beat him during the season and pushed him pretty hard in the quarters.  Latona is really good but I don't put him on the same level as Fix or RBY.  Maybe it's just a matchup thing with Latona but Vito definitely seemed to turn it up a couple notches.

Edited by Tricky Dicky

7 minutes ago, KennyEBHS said:

Thinking about the match, I think Vito beats RBY every time (PSU fan). But it also looked to me like RBY had already checked out.

I think RBY took the match a bit too lightly, and with more prep and focus he could win.

But the reality is Vito is physically superior (especially when it comes to length) and has better wrestling credentials, period excepting RBY has 2 NCAA titles to Vito's 1.

Vito could wrestle RBY next week with a totally different outcome.  Remember he crushed Glory last year at EIWAs only to lose to him at nationals.  That said when Vito is on he is obviously world champ class.  I think what set him apart is all of those high level matches vs international competition.  He's wrestled guys who are better than RBY.  

1 hour ago, AnklePicker said:

Vito could wrestle RBY next week with a totally different outcome.  Remember he crushed Glory last year at EIWAs only to lose to him at nationals.  That said when Vito is on he is obviously world champ class.  I think what set him apart is all of those high level matches vs international competition.  He's wrestled guys who are better than RBY.  

Vito - Glory match at NCAAs came down to who got awarded points in the scramble. Similar to the Zain-Yianni dispute at Final X, the viewer probably scores it with bias intact. For example, Vito and I were both STUNNED that Glory got the NF4.

52 minutes ago, ugarles said:

Vito - Glory match at NCAAs came down to who got awarded points in the scramble. Similar to the Zain-Yianni dispute at Final X, the viewer probably scores it with bias intact. For example, Vito and I were both STUNNED that Glory got the NF4.

Ok but the EIWA was a 19-6 win for Vito.  He crushed him.  Then he lost.  That doesn't happen often.