• Playwire Ad Area

Who will be the PSU starters next year?

peanut

Here are my uninformed guesses:

• 125- Howard
  • 133- ? -- Shunk / Levine / Vespa / Steen / Shindledecker / Davis / Nasdeo / Wentzel
  • 141- Bartlett
  • 149- SVN
  • 157- Haines
  • 165- Facundo
  • 174- ? -- Kraeszig / J. Lee / M. Lee / Borden / Kelly
  • 184- Brooks
  • 197- ? -- Ball / Smith / Cochran / Fricchione / Barr
  • 285- Kerk

I think Starocci either redshirts or leaves college entirely. If he wants to make the Olympic team, he's going to have to make 163 pounds or 189 pounds next year -- either way he's going to have to transform his body. He also seems set on MMA, so he might be favoring an extra year of considerable earnings over another college title.

Bartlett indicated he’s likely heading down to 133 in his post 3rd place match interview:

I’d wager 141/149 are manned by Kasak and SVN. Kasak is on the Haines plan and skipped his senior year of HS to train at the NLWC/M2z

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41 minutes ago, Le duke said:

Bartlett indicated he’s likely heading down to 133 in his post 3rd place match interview:
I’d wager 141/149 are manned by Kasak and SVN. Kasak is on the Haines plan and skipped his senior year of HS to train at the NLWC/M2z

Bartlett actually said that? If that happens then the line up is probably 125 Howard, 133 Bartlett, and like you say, Kasak 141 and Van Ness 149. 

Bartlett actually said that? If that happens then the line up is probably 125 Howard, 133 Bartlett, and like you say, Kasak 141 and Van Ness 149. 

He didn’t say he’s going down but watch the interview and decide for yourself:

• Fire 2

Not to change the subject, but that was a really great interview by Bartlett. I didn't know he was so articulate. You can really tell he's of a generation that has grown up on social media, comfortable in front of cameras and sharing their story. Very high EQ.

• Fire 3

Not to change the subject, but that was a really great interview by Bartlett. I didn't know he was so articulate. You can really tell he's of a generation that has grown up on social media, comfortable in front of cameras and sharing their story. Very high EQ.

He’s one of those kids that will be getting his JD while using his fifth/extra year.

I think the PSU wrestling page highlighted him as having a 3.6 or higher GPA last year.

1 hour ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

I agree.  It was also nice that it wasn't just a string of cliches, which some of the media-savvy types try to slip by with.  Mostly I don't listen to post-game interviews because you rarely get any insights, but I do feel as if you get some authentic in this one.  

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, flyingcement said:

125: Howard / Steen 

133: Bartlett

141: Kasak

149: Van Ness

157: Barraclaugh

165: Haines

174: Facundo

184: Starocci

197: Brooks

285: Kerkvliet

No chance in hell Starocci goes up to 184. He’s focused on making Olympic team at 74kg. He either takes Olympic redshirt and doesn’t wrestle next year or you see him and Brooks in very limited action. You may be right about Brooks going up since I assume he’s looking to compete at 86kg for Olympics. 

My guess..

125 Howard

133..Davis

141..Bartlett

149..Van Ness

156..Haines

165..Facundo

174..Starocci (limited)

184..Brooks (limited)

197..Cochran

285.. Kerk

If Brooks goes up insert Barr at 184. Davis and/Howard could flip depending on size

Edited by Pish

12 hours ago, Le duke said:

He didn’t say he’s going down but watch the interview and decide for yourself:

I'm not seeing anything in there that suggests he'd cut down from '41 to '33 after taking a 3rd. Seems like he's settling in and feeling good.

Are you talking about the "chubby, looked terrible at '49," comments?

I think this may be a stretch, but we'll see. 

12 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Bartlett is like Spencer Lee sized.  It's crazy he was able to do so well essentially up 2 weights wrestling 149.

No...he is not Spencer Lee sized. If he was Spencer Lee sized, he'd NEVER have been able to wrestle at 149 and lost almost exclusively to AAs(Van Brill I think is the only non AA he lost to.

Bartlett is like...5'7.
Lee is tiny at I'd guess 5'2.

He wasn't wrestling up 2 weights. He was a good, solid 141;

12 hours ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

Oh...you're surprised he's articulate? I think there's a word for that!

But seriously...you're right. These kids are WAY more comfortable in front of cameras and Bartlett in particular didn't offer the, "Just my support system, my Faith in our lord and savior and hard work...just keep grinding, it's what I'm all about."

I don't blame 'em, but it is refreshing when guys give much more well rounded interviews and actually share something of interest. Otherwise, they're pointless. 

9 hours ago, scourge165 said:

But seriously...you're right. These kids are WAY more comfortable in front of cameras and Bartlett in particular didn't offer the, "Just my support system, my Faith in our lord and savior and hard work...just keep grinding, it's what I'm all about."

I don't blame 'em, but it is refreshing when guys give much more well rounded interviews and actually share something of interest. Otherwise, they're pointless. 

Way more comfortable in front of cameras, but way less comfortable speaking to each other and/or adults in person.

21 hours ago, scourge165 said:

Oh...you're surprised he's articulate? I think there's a word for that!

I didn't mean to deride Bartlett and apologize if it sounded that way. I'm not exactly the brightest bulb, lol. Was just trying to say that it was refreshing not to get the boilerplate soundbytes, particularly from a PSU guy since they get asked a lot of the same questions often. No surprise that he made the Big Ten and NWCA All-Academic lists.

• Fire 1

26 minutes ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

I didn't mean to deride Bartlett and apologize if it sounded that way. I'm not exactly the brightest bulb, lol. Was just trying to say that it was refreshing not to get the boilerplate soundbytes, particularly from a PSU guy since they get asked a lot of the same questions often. No surprise that he made the Big Ten and NWCA All-Academic lists.

Dude, I was joking. Probably in poor taste. He DID give a great interview compared to most and he did articulate his thoughts well. They are usually boring cliches. Even worse right after a guy gets done wrestling. I thought it was funny, how he was self deprecating, all of it.

I was...100% kidding and in agreement with you.

On 3/20/2023 at 12:03 AM, scourge165 said:

I'm not seeing anything in there that suggests he'd cut down from '41 to '33 after taking a 3rd. Seems like he's settling in and feeling good.

Are you talking about the "chubby, looked terrible at '49," comments?

I think this may be a stretch, but we'll see. 

Agree... I didn't hear anything about him cutting down....he even mentioned he couldn't wait for the next 7 minutes with Allirez. 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐