• Playwire Ad Area

2023 Transfer Portal

5 hours ago, Le duke said:

Bumping? If Griffith transfers in to Michigan, it’s not “absurd” to think that either Griffith or Amine bump up to 174.

Carrying your statement to its logical conclusion, in the Griffith transfer scenario, you think that either Amine or Griffith goes 165, no one bumps up to 174, and one of them rides the pine for the year? Sorry, THAT is absurd.

So, yes, Griffith at 165 is their most likely win. Griffith at 174 is a very likely loss. After that, DeAugustino.

They wouldn’t be favored in any other match besides 125 or 165.

https://www.wrestlestat.com/compare/dual/60/penn-state/40/michigan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To me "bumping up" means a one dual situation.  Obviously someone wrestles 174.But, you still hedge and believe that PSU could win both 125 and 174.

Who wins?  Brooks or Yazdani?

I can see Michigan winning 3 of those matches.... 125, 133 and 165.  In a big dual like that, there always seem to be a couple surprises both directions. 

Now back to transfers... May 7  is the last day to enter the portal - correct? 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

38 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

yeah you go first

Certain PSU fans: Brooks close over Yazdani.  Maybe a criteria win for scoring in a late flurry a la DT in Olympics.  Brooks bring a level of strength, speed, conditioning and technique that Yazdani has only seen when he has tangled with Taylor.  Yazdani just does not have the tank to go 6 minutes with Brooks.  Also, Brooks was DTs training partner at the Olympics and became very familiar with Yazdani from mimicking his style during simulations.  No one else on earth has a better understanding of how Yazdani wrestles than Brooks.  It is possible that Yazdani goes too hard at the beginning of the match, gets a lead and then gasses.  If that happens, expect AB to weather the storm and put up 8-10 points in the second on a exhausted, beaten Yaz.  It would be great if he scored using Yaz own underhook series a few times!

• Fire 3

3 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Certain PSU fans: Brooks close over Yazdani.  Maybe a criteria win for scoring in a late flurry a la DT in Olympics.  Brooks bring a level of strength, speed, conditioning and technique that Yazdani has only seen when he has tangled with Taylor.  Yazdani just does not have the tank to go 6 minutes with Brooks.  Also, Brooks was DTs training partner at the Olympics and became very familiar with Yazdani from mimicking his style during simulations.  No one else on earth has a better understanding of how Yazdani wrestles than Brooks.  It is possible that Yazdani goes too hard at the beginning of the match, gets a lead and then gasses.  If that happens, expect AB to weather the storm and put up 8-10 points in the second on a exhausted, beaten Yaz.  It would be great if he scored using Yaz own underhook series a few times!

not bad!  My prediction.  He gets to their underhook? Thats it

• Fire 2

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

15 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Latest excuse regarding NJ kid or kids to Michigan, as opposed to Rutgers:

"Those Cliff Keen moneybags are calling"

So now he is quoting me, a deplorable?

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

9 hours ago, Le duke said:

Bumping? If Griffith transfers in to Michigan, it’s not “absurd” to think that either Griffith or Amine bump up to 174.

Carrying your statement to its logical conclusion, in the Griffith transfer scenario, you think that either Amine or Griffith goes 165, no one bumps up to 174, and one of them rides the pine for the year? Sorry, THAT is absurd.

So, yes, Griffith at 165 is their most likely win. Griffith at 174 is a very likely loss. After that, DeAugustino.

They wouldn’t be favored in any other match besides 125 or 165.

https://www.wrestlestat.com/compare/dual/60/penn-state/40/michigan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Deaug and Cannon have both beaten Howard and Nagao respectively

• Fire 2

Also, McHenry is in the portal (unfortunately).

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/6131952-kurt-mchenry-releases-top-5-schools-list

His top five, in alphabetical order, was Cornell, Michigan, North Carolina, Penn State, and Stanford.

Cornell
- Ungar, Edge Ungar
- Diakomihalis, Edge Diakomihalis - If healthy
- Milani (RS?), Edge McHenry

Michigan
- DeAugustino, Edge DeUagustino - If healthy
- McHenry, PUSH
- Horwath, Edge Horwath (Very high on this guy)

North Carolina
- Moore, Edge McHenry
- Hunt, Edge McHenry
- Guanajuato/Tocci (RS?), Edge McHenry

Penn State
- Howard, Edge Howard - If healthy
- Steen, Edge McHenry
- Davis (RS?), Edge Davis (Very high on this guy)

Stanford
- Provo, PUSH (Provo has three years left, so edge him?)
- Richter, Edge McHenry
- Chundi, Edge McHenry

I think, if he is looking at the same five again the more likely options are North Carolina to start or Penn State as a security blanket (as in he doesn't expect to start).   Before you say "Oh but he is leaving Michigan because he is being recruited over."  That may be true, that doesn't mean he expects to start wherever he goes or ends up.  It means he wants a fair chance to prove himself, and he might be able to do that with Penn State.  Doubt it, but possible.

All this said, we could see him go the Decatur route and dominate D2 (to be clear - he would dominate D2).  He could also go the MAC/SOCON route and I think he would do excellent there.

In any case, I hope he does well and ends up winning some matches at NCAAs the next year or two.

14 minutes ago, Gus said:

Per Minnow, 141 is where Cannon wants to go?  I, personally, wouldn't mind Ragusin or Cannon going up.  It's a PUSH to me.

3 hours ago, Gus said:

But Cannon is going 141, so I'm not sure why you are comparing him to Nagao.

I'll go with NCAA third placer Beau Bartlett over Cannon, and Nagao over Ragusin.

• Stalling 1

6 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

To me "bumping up" means a one dual situation.  Obviously someone wrestles 174.But, you still hedge and believe that PSU could win both 125 and 174.

Who wins?  Brooks or Yazdani?

Yes, I believe that Howard, if healthy, COULD win.

Also, I don't know what to make of the second part; am I supposed to say that I'd take Cam Amine or Shane Griffith over 3x NCAA champion Carter Starocci? No, I'd take Starocci every day of the week. 

I'd take Yazdani over Brooks, likely by tech. 

7 minutes ago, Le duke said:

Yes, I believe that Howard, if healthy, COULD win.

Also, I don't know what to make of the second part; am I supposed to say that I'd take Cam Amine or Shane Griffith over 3x NCAA champion Carter Starocci? No, I'd take Starocci every day of the week. 

I'd take Yazdani over Brooks, likely by tech. 

The original conversation was you appearing to give Messenbrink a shot at Griffith, while admitting he was the underdog at the moment.  Somehow we were sidetracked by "bumping."

I'm very surprised by your Yazdani answer!

1 minute ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

The original conversation was you appearing to give Messenbrink a shot at Griffith, while admitting he was the underdog at the moment.  Somehow we were sidetracked by "bumping."

How will Starocci's knee be?  He just MFF out of a tournament he considered himself the favorite to win.  Will it be good enough to beat either Griffith or Amine?

18 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

I think Messenbrink could beat both Amine and Griffith (particularly regular-season Griffith) at 165. Is he an underdog, as he has limited college results at this point? Absolutely.

But, I was confident in Haines, too. To the point that ol'@nhs67 started calling me Mrs. Haines.

Edited by Le duke
  • Fire 1

I think Messenbrink could beat both Amine and Griffith (particularly regular-season Griffith) at 165. Is he an underdog, as he has limited college results at this point? Absolutely.

But, I was confident in Haines, too. To the point that ol'@nhs67 started calling me Mrs. Haines.

I think he was using the Messenbrink wins over Haines to temper the expectations of Haines.  Didn't you try to discredit those Messenbrink wins?  

Were you one of the PSU fans who was willing to bet that MM would never have a higher placement than Haines?

1 minute ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

I think he was using the Messenbrink wins over Haines to temper the expectations of Haines.  Didn't you try to discredit those Messenbrink wins?  

Were you one of the PSU fans who was willing to bet that MM would never have a higher placement than Haines?

I didn't think Messenbrink would beat Haines, when he was at Cal Baptist. Which works out quite well for me now, doesn't it? 

Re: their Junior WTT results, I *believe* I said that I would expect a different result if they were both fresh; I think I said Haines would take a match or win. I may be wrong on that, though.

Either way, as a PSU fan I'm pretty pumped to have what I anticipate being a massive one-two punch at 157-165, provided nobody takes a RS/OLY RS. 

• Fire 2

22 minutes ago, Le duke said:

Hey!  Someone else said you were Mrs. Haines!  I actually asked if you were, to be clear.  When you refrained from answering I assumed that whoever it was that said you were was 125% correct.

I didn't think Messenbrink would beat Haines, when he was at Cal Baptist. Which works out quite well for me now, doesn't it? 

Re: their Junior WTT results, I *believe* I said that I would expect a different result if they were both fresh; I think I said Haines would take a match or win. I may be wrong on that, though.

Either way, as a PSU fan I'm pretty pumped to have what I anticipate being a massive one-two punch at 157-165, provided nobody takes a RS/OLY RS. 

As a Non-PSU and major Facundo fan, even I am excited at the opportunity to see Messenbrink there.

I also recall you saying what you said and what you're saying you said is what I recall you saying you said.