• Playwire Ad Area

2023 Transfer Portal

24 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Well, apparently about 83% of HR.  

EDIT:  There were people on here claiming that I was bullshitting about not wanting Anthony or AJ.  Not that I could have specifically seen it being THIS bad THIS fast, but the upside was extremely, extremely limited.

I saw your comments on here and HR and you've been nothing but consistent on your opinion of the  Ferrari clan.  Wondering your thoughts on blowing it up and sending T&T out to pasture.  I think a fresh start is the way forward in Iowa City

Edited by PortaJohn

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

3 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

I saw your comments on here and HR and you've been nothing but consistent on your opinion of the  Ferrari clan.  Wondering your thoughts on blowing it up and sending T&T out to pasture.  I think a fresh start is the way forward in Iowa City

I'm not necessarily in on putting them to pasture, but there needs to be a coaching staff shakeup IMO.  More diversity of thought/style on the staff, guys with different wrestling styles to expose the athletes to different ideas on how to wrestle.  I've thought that for a long time that Iowa is too intent on the "Iowa Man" being the program.  They're always going to be buoyed somewhat by the program name, but consistently threatening for team titles seems far away at the moment.

If they're not willing to consider any changes, though....

Edited by VakAttack
  • Fire 1

9 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

I'm not necessarily in on putting them to pasture, but there needs to be a coaching staff shakeup IMO.  More diversity of thought/style on the staff, guys with different wrestling styles to expose the athletes to different ideas on how to wrestle.  I've thought that for a long time that Iowa is too intent on the "Iowa Man" being the program.  They're always going to be buoyed somewhat by the program name, but consistently threatening for team titles seems far away at the moment.

If they're not willing to consider any changes, though....

My opinion is a shake up in the coaching staff would only be good if they brought in coaches from outside the Iowa network.

Edited by PortaJohn

I'm looking forward to the flip by some from "Chittum is overrated, he's not that great" to "what a recruit!" that we're going to be seeing all across the wrestling internet.

Personally, I thought he was going to be good at Minnesota, was ecstatic that he came to Iowa, and now am bummed that I think he'll be great for Iowa State.

1 minute ago, VakAttack said:

If it wasn't clear from my post, I agree.

It was.  cramping in posts at work and didn't get a chance for my second point.  There are wrestlers out there that have styles that would compliment Iowa.  Not that any of theses wrestlers are possible to bring on as staff but guys like Burroughs, Cox, Retherford, and others all have styles that would fit in well with the Hawkeye style.  I don't think they'd have to abandoned the "Iowa Style" to move forward.  apologies if this is incoherent 

1 minute ago, PortaJohn said:

It was.  cramping in posts at work and didn't get a chance for my second point.  There are wrestlers out there that have styles that would compliment Iowa.  Not that any of theses wrestlers are possible to bring on as staff but guys like Burroughs, Cox, Retherford, and others all have styles that would fit in well with the Hawkeye style.  I don't think they'd have to abandoned the "Iowa Style" to move forward.  apologies if this is incoherent 

If Iowa could get Burroughs to come into the program, that would be the biggest possible win.  

For anybody doubting the "Ferrari Effect."

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/iowa-state/wrestling/2023/05/09/cody-chittum-junior-national-champ-flips-from-iowa-to-iowa-state-wrestling-ncaa-wrestling-recruiting/70199851007/

Things changed in March, when Anthony Ferrari announced his commitment to the Hawkeyes.

Ferrari, who announced his commitment on Instagram, is the middle Ferrari brother, between oldest brother A.J. and younger brother Angelo. They are all talented wrestlers, but the two oldest brothers have been marred by off-the-mat issues.

Anthony Ferrari's commitment and his plans to join the program — he has not officially signed yet, but projects at 157/165 — rubbed Chittum the wrong way. He didn't dive into details in his brief conversation with the Register, but he allowed that he'd rather leave Iowa City than be teammates with the Ferraris.

5 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

If Iowa could get Burroughs to come into the program, that would be the biggest possible win.  

Now that he's back in his home town of Philly it's hard to see him move away.  Before anyone asks camden is part of the Philly metro area

13 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

Does Iowa even wrestle what most people associate with the "Iowa Style" anymore? 

When I think of the Iowa Style, I think of Competitor Supreme - which our HS wrestling coach had on what seemed like a continuous loop in his office. 

But count me as +1 on the idea that Iowa could use some new ideas in the room. 

Thinking JB would go to Iowa is laughable.

He is very loyal to Manning and Nebraska.  He would take that job or one close to home (Philly/NJ area) long before Iowa.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

4 minutes ago, pawrestler said:

Almost impressive how fast the Ferrari’s in Iowa turned into a shit show. 

Some people here would have had you believing that it was a good, Golden move in which absolutely nothing could have possibly gone wrong with.

They legitimately didn't even need to step foot on campus (let alone be accepted as students) to do that.  Just the word of them going there did enough to tear the damn house down.

That tells you just how much better the culture that John Smith was (and is) making over at OSU.  Took a year and a half rather than a week and a half.

Edited by nhs67

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

2 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Some people here would have had you believing that it was a good, Golden move in which absolutely nothing could have possibly gone wrong with.

They legitimately didn't even need to step foot on campus (let alone be accepted as students) to do that.  Just the word of them going there did enough to tear the damn house down.

That tells you just how much better the culture that John Smith was (and is) making over at OSU.  Took a year and a half rather than a week and a half.

And now we've reached the ridiculous portion of this discussion, lol.

• Haha 1

If not wanting to be teammates with the Ferrari’s is a primary driver, I wonder how Gabe Arnold feels about that as well. Not a hometown kid, not a ton of ties to the hawks, much bigger flight risk than a kid like Ryder Block IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i hate this for TNT and Iowa. but it was also so incredibly predictable. it (losing guys) was the risk (from pursuing the Ferarri's) from jump street.

it's not as simple as people just showing up to the same practice room with them. they sincerely do not want to be around them or affiliated with them. 

if the portal was still open i bet you would have seen other hawks go in.

• Fire 1

TBD

1 minute ago, Husker_Du said:

i hate this for TNT and Iowa. but it was also so incredibly predictable. it (losing guys) was the risk (from pursuing the Ferarri's) from jump street.

it's not as simple as people just showing up to the same practice room with them. they sincerely do not want to be around them or affiliated with them. 

Come on Willie.  Spill the beans.  Are we looking at a mutiny?

l

1 minute ago, Husker_Du said:

Is this confirmation that Chittum leaving was actually because of the Ferraris? I was just about to say I haven’t really seen anyone besides Minnow say that

Just now, 1032004 said:

l

Is this confirmation that Chittum leaving was actually because of the Ferraris? I was just about to say I haven’t really seen anyone besides Minnow say that

Well...Minnow and Chittum himself.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/iowa-state/wrestling/2023/05/09/cody-chittum-junior-national-champ-flips-from-iowa-to-iowa-state-wrestling-ncaa-wrestling-recruiting/70199851007/

Things changed in March when Anthony Ferrari announced his commitment to the Hawkeyes.

Ferrari, who announced his commitment on Instagram, is the middle Ferrari brother, between oldest brother A.J. and younger brother Angelo. They are all talented wrestlers, but the two oldest brothers have been marred by off-the-mat issues.

Anthony Ferrari's commitment and his plans to join the program — he has not officially signed yet, but projects at 157/165 — rubbed Chittum the wrong way. He didn't dive into details in his brief conversation with the Register, but he allowed that he'd rather leave Iowa City than be teammates with the Ferraris.

Just now, 1032004 said:

l

Yes

Anthony Ferrari's commitment and his plans to join the program — he has not officially signed yet, but projects at 157/165 — rubbed Chittum the wrong way. He didn't dive into details in his brief conversation with the Register, but he allowed that he'd rather leave Iowa City than be teammates with the Ferraris. - Cody Goodwin

Just now, 1032004 said:

l

Chittum says it here