• Playwire Ad Area

2023 Transfer Portal

21 minutes ago, ionel said:

Throwing him out there against Sheets doesn't really seem like "protective cocoon" stuff.  😮

Parents not coaches.

Still the start could be seen as a quid pro quo of sorts.  Then again maybe UofM didn’t see the need to forfeit, didn't have a better option at that weight that day, and Consuelos was game.

Of course it's all speculation.

20 minutes ago, 98lberEating2Lunches said:

Parents not coaches.

Still the start could be seen as a quid pro quo of sorts.  Then again maybe UofM didn’t see the need to forfeit, didn't have a better option at that weight that day, and Consuelos was game.

Of course it's all speculation.

I was amazed he lasted almost 5 minutes.  

3 hours ago, 98lberEating2Lunches said:

On the one hand it'd be their money so they'd be free to do with it what they wish.

On the other hand will the protective cocoons of helicopter parents ever end?

If they are trying to buy a championship team for their son, this would seem only somewhat worse than the Hollywood admissions scandal.  But with NIL, it seems a better tactic.  Marginal walk-on athletes with rich parents could be highly sought after commodities, all within the rules.

I don't really see how offering NIL money to transfers (if even true of course) qualifies as "helicopter parenting"...

How can it be "somewhat worse," but within the rules?  LOL.   It's nowhere near as bad as the Varsity Blues stuff, which clearly was not within the rules.   And honestly I doubt the kid was like "can you get Michigan a 2nd place trophy as my birthday present this year?"   They're likely just doing it on their own because they want to support the team.

But yes, marginal walk-on athletes with rich parents could be highly sought after commodities.  I'd argue they already were in order to solicit donations for the school anyway though.   But sure with NIL there is added incentive.

• Fire 1

12 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

But yes, marginal walk-on athletes with rich parents could be highly sought after commodities.  I'd argue they already were in order to solicit donations for the school anyway though.   But sure with NIL there is added incentive.

I would agree.

Look at Julia Louis Dreyfus and Adam Hall's son Charlie,  who played basketball at Northwestern.  Had less than seven minutes of career playing time, but made the team all four years.  It certainly may have helped that his parents are far, far richer than Kelly Ripa and Mark Consuelos. (The Hall family is likely worth over 1/4 billion and mom is from one of the world's wealthiest families)

Edited by Interviewed_at_Weehawken
  • Fire 1

4 hours ago, 98lberEating2Lunches said:

Marginal walk-on athletes with rich parents could be highly sought after commodities, all within the rules.

This just dawned on you now? This has been going on since limitations were placed on scholarships. 

Just now, Tripnsweep said:

This just dawned on you now? This has been going on since limitations were placed on scholarships. 

Not really  Just that it seems more visible, I suppose.  Maybe there's some recency bias on my part.

I was aware of another wrestler who went to a big time program some years ago, and I thought of the possibility then, although it wasn't necessarily his parents money.  Also, I don't know of any corresponding donations (but not saying they couldn't have occurred).

I hadn't given it much thought one way or the other.

6 minutes ago, feet2back said:

3X New Jersey State Champ Anthony Santaniello asked for a release from his commitment to Oklahoma. His Dad said that his 1st visit is set up for Iowa next week

Newsome and Russo as well. 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Oklahoma has now three 133 lbers in the portal:

Wyatt Henson

Anthony Madrigal

Anthony Santaniello (not technically a transfer since he reversed his commitment but same idea)

Hope their program survives all this

Edited by flyingcement

33 minutes ago, Indiana-Hawk-Wrestling-Fan said:

Wyatt Henson in the portal! 

I hope he doesn’t loose a year since this will be his 2 time transferring. A great wrestler and addition to wherever he may land! 

It’d be honestly amazing if he somehow found his way back at Iowa, lol but I’d assume that’s far from reality. 

All athletes have 30 days after their Head Coach resigns or is fired to enter the portal, free of penalty.

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

1 hour ago, Indiana-Hawk-Wrestling-Fan said:

Why do you think Anthony Noto to enter? 

I get why you would think Cooper Flynn but my curious on the Noto anticipation 

It's a cynical view about AA talent becoming concentrated among the top tier of teams

12 minutes ago, BlacknGold said:

How good is Santaniello supposed to be? 

138-3 in high school in New Jersey.  

2× State Champ, 2× State Runner Up.  (Only one division for individuals in NJ)

133 lber who was ranked pretty high as a prospect

20 minutes ago, BlacknGold said:

How good is Santaniello supposed to be? 

You really have that little faith in Teske that you are trying to replace him with someone you didn't even know existed an hour ago?

He is an Iowa HS legend.

• Haha 3

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me