• Playwire Ad Area

2023 Transfer Portal

5 hours ago, Indiana-Hawk-Wrestling-Fan said:

No, I wouldn’t think so. They have a a good redshirt freshman in Nate S. 

I thought Yonger was going up for his last season?

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

9 hours ago, Indiana-Hawk-Wrestling-Fan said:

Tyler Dow and Enrique Munguia (he was a high level recruit outside of HS) in the portal

He is a Greco guy who has been wrestling up ~2 weight classes.  It would be interesting to see him down to 165 for a SOCON or MAC squad.

23 hours ago, ionel said:

What $s would Nebraska owe him?  You can take scholarship $s with you.

non scholarship moneys, I doubt he transferred for free, that's the portal$$

I heard NU would be on the hook for $ if he transferred that's why if you pluck someone you want to make sure they work out and not transfer again.

Edited by Silver

10 minutes ago, Silver said:

non scholarship moneys, I doubt he transferred for free, that's the portal$$

I heard NU would be on the hook for $ if he transferred that's why if you pluck someone you want to make sure they work out and not transfer again.

This is more puzzling than the NFL Salary "Cap"

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, BlacknGold said:

Some people are calling the transfer portal "free agency" in todays ncaa scene. Just saw a video of Deon Sanders saying that. Don't know how I feel about it 

It's free agency, however in this case the teams do not have a cap, revenue sharing or a means to keep things semi equitable. Scholarship equity at 9.9 doesn't exist when you do not have to give a scholarship to cover all school costs. If the team you support is a "top" tier team with $$$ you should feel great about it because you can build a very solid lineup from the portal with $$$ . If  the team you support is a mid level to lower level team then you should be angry about this, because your best guys will be filling the gaps of the top tier teams. 

• Fire 2

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

2 minutes ago, Idaho said:

It's free agency, however in this case the teams do not have a cap, revenue sharing or a means to keep things semi equitable. Scholarship equity at 9.9 doesn't exist when you do not have to give a scholarship to cover all school costs. If the team you support is a "top" tier team with $$$ you should feel great about it because you can build a very solid lineup from the portal with $$$ . If  the team you support is a mid level to lower level team then you should be angry about this, because your best guys will be filling the gaps of the top tier teams. 

So what you're saying is: once money is involved, loyalty goes out the window. Hm, shocking...

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

It will be a conundrum for the foreseeable future. 

Envision a group of mid and top tier HS studs coming in as a recruiting class to a D1 school.  They take their drubbings in practice room day in and out.  Head to their first classes in halls of 300+ other students. Most experiences are eye opening but manageable for these guys. Most of these guys take a RS year sans a spot start here or there.  Then they make a pact 'stick it out' through graduation.  To honor their first commitment and not be lured by dollars and offers from NIL collectives of other schools. 

Then all of the sudden the transfer portal is a landing spot for the student athlete in a rare situation or graduate student with 1 more year.  We can only hope.

11 minutes ago, CraigOR said:

It will be a conundrum for the foreseeable future. 

Envision a group of mid and top tier HS studs coming in as a recruiting class to a D1 school.  They take their drubbings in practice room day in and out.  Head to their first classes in halls of 300+ other students. Most experiences are eye opening but manageable for these guys. Most of these guys take a RS year sans a spot start here or there.  Then they make a pact 'stick it out' through graduation.  To honor their first commitment and not be lured by dollars and offers from NIL collectives of other schools. 

Then all of the sudden the transfer portal is a landing spot for the student athlete in a rare situation or graduate student with 1 more year.  We can only hope.

I understand where you are coming from and the conflicts that are going to continue with the transfer portal, but this is also what people have been begging for and promoting more athlete freedom to leave. Seems like a situation of cant have it both ways. Should the athletes be restricted from transferring because someone else has a commitment? 

35 minutes ago, BlacknGold said:

So what you're saying is: once money is involved, loyalty goes out the window. Hm, shocking...

Coaches have been doing it at all sports of all levels of the NCAA for decades.

• Fire 1

i am an idiot on the internet

28 minutes ago, JVStateChamp said:

I understand where you are coming from and the conflicts that are going to continue with the transfer portal, but this is also what people have been begging for and promoting more athlete freedom to leave. Seems like a situation of cant have it both ways. Should the athletes be restricted from transferring because someone else has a commitment? 

Not everybody has been begging for it.... Those who have, probably did not foresee how complicated and  out of control it would become. Pro sports have free-agency but they also have competitive balance where there are salary caps for all teams, revenue sharing for small market teams, etc.  So yes, you can have it both ways, but certainly not the way the NCAA has done it by opening up the flood gates then backing away while watching from the bushes. 

20 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Coaches have been doing it at all sports of all levels of the NCAA for decades.

When recruiting, but not when it comes to transferring. Remember when it was almost impossible to transfer? 

• Fire 1

2 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Not everybody has been begging for it.... Those who have, probably did not foresee how complicated and  out of control it would become. Pro sports have free-agency but they also have competitive balance where there are salary caps for all teams, revenue sharing for small market teams, etc.  So yes, you can have it both ways, but certainly not the way the NCAA has done it by opening up the flood gates then backing away while watching from the bushes. 

I think there are many factors as to why the transfer portal has developed the way it has in the landscape of college wrestling. 

1. The COVID free year has really shown its teeth with more grad transfers than I can remember, is it the athlete's fault? Absolutely not but in typical years we would not have as many grad transfers as we are seeing this year.

2. The timing of the transfer portal and the timing of NIL. Both of these features of college athletics were introduced very close to each other. The idea was they were going to be two completely separate factors for college athletes, but we are seeing them hand and hand with each other. 

Portal was created for compliance so that there are no surprises during the transfer. In the past, a kid would transfer and the NCAA sometimes lose eligibility because some rule wasn't followed during the process. Now everything is in one place so there's no excuse for missing dates or not checking every box.

NIL was something that was not allowed until one day it was. My feeling is that the NCAA okay, NIL deals are fine now, go wild but without a lot of structure, guidance, or cooperation with schools and sponsors. So now here we are.

41 minutes ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

Portal was created for compliance so that there are no surprises during the transfer. In the past, a kid would transfer and the NCAA sometimes lose eligibility because some rule wasn't followed during the process. Now everything is in one place so there's no excuse for missing dates or not checking every box.

NIL was something that was not allowed until one day it was. My feeling is that the NCAA okay, NIL deals are fine now, go wild but without a lot of structure, guidance, or cooperation with schools and sponsors. So now here we are.

Unless it involves Nebraska, then the Bono Excuse is enacted.

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

1 hour ago, ionel said:

Then what about double that?

Like I said good for all the wrestlers. If they get it. I just don’t see how they are worth that much. But it’s not like the schools are giving the money but I have a hard time believing they are getting that much. 

6 minutes ago, Kansasdeanhwt said:

Like I said good for all the wrestlers. If they get it. I just don’t see how they are worth that much. But it’s not like the schools are giving the money but I have a hard time believing they are getting that much. 

I'd agee, not worth that much, did any see a Real Woods "image" commercial etc?  Its just a way to funnel money directly from boosters to athletes via the coach.

But some have got that much & 2x.

Edited by ionel

Honestly?  I hope Truax gets paid.  $250k?  More?  Less?  I hope he has a nice start after competing.

I just wish my dues were also going towards him and not just Dsvison. 😂