• Playwire Ad Area

Free falling Hawkeyes

Mojo44

2 hours ago, BigRedFan said:

While I agree that the EIWA (not just the Ivy League teams) aren't a threat, Cornell returns everyone except Yianni, who will be replaced with possibly the #1 recruit in the country as a true freshman.  They also might get three of their injured starters back next year.  Threat to PSU?  Probably not.

Meyer Shapiro was the recruit I wanted Cael to snag more than anyone else.  That kid is phenomenal 

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

3 minutes ago, Mr. PeanutButter said:

Yeah, I wouldn't call that a dynasty. The Hawks were trending downwards as Zaleski's clock worn down. What was the hawk's finish before Brands took over, 9th?

Sorry PB but Iowa was a dynasty anyway you look at it based on the History over the last 30 years prior to Brands ,  Including Zaleski's run.   He had a resume comparable to JRob and John Smith at the time.    Zaleski wasn't seeing the same success as Gable but neither is Brands. nobody was until Cael.  

46 minutes ago, Threadkilla said:

But I was wrong Zaleski had 3 championships 2 runner up finishes and a 4th in 9 years.  Those years not winning are when  OK State had 5 champs and won 3 titles and Minnesota had a crazy good team for a couple years.   

I wrote a longer response, but deleted it to be more succinct: Zalesky took over from Gable and his record setting team.  Brands took over from Zalesky and his consecutive 5th and 8th place finishes with no individual champs in two years.

3 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

I wrote a longer response, but deleted it to be more succinct: Zalesky took over from Gable and his record setting team.  Brands took over from Zalesky and his consecutive 5th and 8th place finishes with no individual champs in two years.

UGH,  2 years without a champ.  They sucked.  

On 3/18/2023 at 3:27 PM, VakAttack said:

Never want to be the guy following the guy (Gable - Lenny), it's better to be the guy following the guy following the guy (Gable, Lenny Tommy Boy)

19 minutes ago, PSUSMC said:

Never want to be the guy following the guy (Gable - Lenny), it's better to be the guy following the guy following the guy (Gable, Lenny Tommy Boy)

Also don’t want to be the guy coaching the next guy (Bobby Douglas, Carl).

• Haha 1

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

On 3/18/2023 at 5:27 PM, VakAttack said:

Zalesky's three titles were his first three years after Gable left right? Rode his momentum and then drove it right off the bridge.

• Fire 1

5 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Lenny Zalesky was the coach of California Baptist University.

Yeah, I had dinner with guys that wrestled for Lenny at Davis and CBU which put Lenny's name on my mind instead of Jim.

• Fire 1

19 hours ago, PSUSMC said:

Not from a pressure perspective, but in terms of a "position to be successful" perspective?  Jim was in way better position than Tom.

On 3/18/2023 at 9:59 AM, Mojo44 said:

Does anyone work harder or train for 2nd place better than the Iowa Hawkeyes wrestling team?  They have a good recruiting class coming in, but if I was the AD I would be looking for the next coaching staff..

And who would you get that has finished ahead of Brands that would and has taken PSU down? What magical staff are you speaking of? 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐