• Playwire Ad Area

Grading Penn State after Day 1 of NCAAs

Jimmy Cinnabon

133 RBY  B+  A 12-3 major and a 5-2 DEC.  Never in doubt of losing but not really dominating as much as he can.  Maybe saving himself for Nagao?

141 Bartlett A A 8-2 win and 3-2 over Carlson.  Has a tough matchup vs Matthews today. 

149 SVN A+  Was down 8-0 and came back and got the fall.  Then upset Johnson 14-8.  Has a winnable quarter final today vs Rooks.

157 Haines A- Two wins but narrowly missing out on bonus so far.  Faces a very dangerous Andonian tonight.

165 Facundo His trajectory was on a nosedive the last half of the season so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.  But 0-2 BBQ with 0 offensive points scored is a F for a recruit of his caliber.  I hope he has an injury, otherwise I can't explain why he's done so poorly despite being a blue chipper.

174 Starocci A- First round fall and a controlled 4-0 win over DJ Washington.  The match was surprisingly devoid of chippiness.

184 Brooks 13-4 major and a fall vs a game Feldkamp.  Faces a tough Romero tonight but he should win.

197 Dean A 6-1 win then a 7-2 loss to Allred.  Much like Big 10s, Dean was taken down multiple times and could not secure his own takedown.  Allred is just bigger, stronger, faster and younger.  Dean looks very tired and very old.  He should beat Hoffman but I wouldn't be shocked if he loses.

285 Kerk A- Fall and a 14-2 major.  Odd choice not to go for the tech against Nevills.  Instead he laid on top for 3 minutes doing nothing.  Maybe saving energy for later.

Overall: A- All the hammers performed other than Dean.  Facundo underperformed and SVN has overperformed so far, so a wash.  

• Fire 1

11 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

A+

If you start as the clear favorite, and then extend your lead, it has to be A+

It's not that simple.  I graded each wrestler individually based on expectations and then aggregated it to arrive at the team grade.  Counterexample would be like that Minnesota team that had 10 AAs but no champs.  As a team they probably scored a lot of points (maybe more than expected) but I'm sure several of those guys were disappointed that they didn't win a title.

23 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

It's not that simple.  I graded each wrestler individually based on expectations and then aggregated it to arrive at the team grade.  Counterexample would be like that Minnesota team that had 10 AAs but no champs.  As a team they probably scored a lot of points (maybe more than expected) but I'm sure several of those guys were disappointed that they didn't win a title.

But it is that simple. Sometimes it is hard to see the forest for the trees. This is one of those times.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge