• Playwire Ad Area

Aaron Nagao chokes his opponents

CHROMEBIRD

On Basch's pod.  He stated 2 weeks ago he wasn't thinking about it. 

He said he entered to complete his goal of winning 3 titles, world and Olympic titles and that could include staying a MN.  Did not say what has changed since being at MN.

They then went out of the way to say  "no one has offered him a bag of cash."  

Like all previous transfers, he is doing it to find the right fit and it has nothing to with the money.

2 hours ago, Husker U said:

I'm sure somebody has already posted this somewhere, but what is the reason for his transfer?  I'm a little surprised with the success he had this year and in his interviews he seemed to really care about his team and partners.  

You are not required to transfer by having your name in the portal, BUT you can't transfer unless you're in the portal. He could just be testing the waters or putting his name in the portal just in case. There's a lot of movement in the offseason these days.

• Fire 2

On 4/10/2023 at 10:07 AM, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Perfectly legal.  His knees are on the mat behind the rear starting line and his hands are in front of the forward line.

Anyone can do this.  I have.  I've also coached it.

So you cheated and coached your kids to cheat too? Where do you coach at so I can report you to your local state high school athletic association?

• Haha 1

• 11 months later...
2 hours ago, lu_alum said:

Bucknell has some very wealthy fans - the kind that bring programs back from the dead…

https://www.sungazette.com/sports/local-sports/2018/12/grahams-goal-comes-to-fruition-as-bucknell-wrestling-sells-out-sojka/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They will need more of them to come out to duals, as they only had 192 show up for the Morgan State dual.

It would be nice to see them get some NIL money to attract some heavy hitters. 

Being a leg rider (and leg riding coach) it is easy to tell that the OP and many commenting against Nagao's use of arm across the throat don't understand leg riding. While I didn't apply this move while using legs or  teach it, I understand it. It's fine, unless you apply it like Fix. Although the Fix pic earlier in the thread is more pressure on the lower back since it requires fix to pull up under the chin. Try to choke someone with your hand on the shoulder. Your elbow actually goes away from the throat. I actually think that move is much less effective than many others he could do instead. And it's much less danders.than many used to turn that put joints in danger.

13 minutes ago, wrestlingshoe said:

Being a leg rider (and leg riding coach) it is easy to tell that the OP and many commenting against Nagao's use of arm across the throat don't understand leg riding. While I didn't apply this move while using legs or  teach it, I understand it. It's fine, unless you apply it like Fix. Although the Fix pic earlier in the thread is more pressure on the lower back since it requires fix to pull up under the chin. Try to choke someone with your hand on the shoulder. Your elbow actually goes away from the throat. I actually think that move is much less effective than many others he could do instead. And it's much less danders.than many used to turn that put joints in danger.

It's also easy to tell that you don't have a background in combat sports outside of wrestling. With hand on shoulder or traps you can easily choke someone across the windpipe with downward pressure on the opponent's head, or on the carotid artery with what you describe as "elbow away" movement. As seen in the pictures on the first page. 

This might all be moot at this point though. I haven't seen Nagao resort to it this season. He's been cutting guys more and scoring from his feet, as many PSU guys like to do.

1 hour ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

It's also easy to tell that you don't have a background in combat sports outside of wrestling. With hand on shoulder or traps you can easily choke someone across the windpipe with downward pressure on the opponent's head, or on the carotid artery with what you describe as "elbow away" movement. As seen in the pictures on the first page. 

This might all be moot at this point though. I haven't seen Nagao resort to it this season. He's been cutting guys more and scoring from his feet, as many PSU guys like to do.

Moot or not... Short or long choke normally use the opposite hand to creat the pressure with the arm that is across the throat and the hand that is on the shoulder is no longer in the shoulder. 

47 minutes ago, wrestlingshoe said:

Moot or not... Short or long choke normally use the opposite hand to creat the pressure with the arm that is across the throat and the hand that is on the shoulder is no longer in the shoulder. 

This is might blow your mind, but upward pressure on the underside of the neck can be enhanced with downward pressure using your own head, shoulder, chest, or hand 🤯 as seen below 

nagaostate.png

• Brain 1

1 hour ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

This is might blow your mind, but upward pressure on the underside of the neck can be enhanced with downward pressure using your own head, shoulder, chest, or hand 🤯 as seen below 

nagaostate.png

Is that headgear made by Bell?

• Wrestle 1

It is my theory that Nagao fled Minnesota because of the nickname that I gave him: The Gopher Choker. Although Rhyme Zone doesn't include "Choker," I believe that it belongs there just as much as "Clover," which is there and a 92 on their scale. 

But Nagao can't escape the internet, so I am proposing a new nickname: "Aaron Nagarrotte." 

• Bob 2

17 minutes ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

It is my theory that Nagao fled Minnesota because of the nickname that I gave him: The Gopher Choker. Although Rhyme Zone doesn't include "Choker," I believe that it belongs there just as much as "Clover," which is there and a 92 on their scale. 

But Nagao can't escape the internet, so I am proposing a new nickname: "Aaron Nagarrotte." 

I believe your nickname is an instance of a near-rhyme or half-rhyme, also called a lazy rhyme or imperfect rhyme.

Good use of "garotte", which (as you obviously know) is a method or apparatus of strangulation. 

Choking is an interesting way to depart the world (more interesting, I think, than being shot, which can be a cowardly act taken at a distance by the shooter) because the person doing the choking often has to look their victim in the eye while doing it and then continue with the action for a while, perhaps even arriving at a moment of empathy that causes them to stop the action.  It is more intimate than shooting and even knifing someone.   Choking from behind probably isn't as open to the (empathetic) decision to curtail the process because there is no eye-to-eye contact.

The Garrote | Torture Museum

• Bob 1

It's been a while since I've seen a thread this arbitrarily dumb.  "Oh my goooood, someone did wrestling moves in a forceful manner...that's like...mean of him to do"

You guys would have looooved James Fleming back in the day.  As the old coaching saying goes, why did you let someone get that sort of a ride on you in the first place?  "He...he had his arm around his...his neeeeck!"  What happens in every other front head and every headlock in the sport?

Bunch of dump ducks trying to be songbirds....

• Fire 1

5 hours ago, wrestle87 said:

What happens in every other front head and every headlock in the sport?

What's funny is that you use the words "front head" and "headlock" but completely ignore the meaning of those words. These are pretty simple words. Let's think about them. The hold is a lock around the head (and the chin is part of the head). Significantly, the neck is not part of the head. If the rules allowed strangulation, they would've called it a necklock. That's why you see refs bending down to see what the lock is around. If it's around the head = legal. If it's around the neck = illegal. 

But, you know, that's a pretty funny new word. Necklock. So, maybe we call him "Aaron Necklock Nagao" or just good ol' "Necklock."  

Choke or not, Nagao tends to do a lot of parallel riding which is awfully hard (but not impossible) to turn from.  I don't particularly care for parallel riding, but it seems to work reasonably well for him.

2 hours ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

What's funny is that you use the words "front head" and "headlock" but completely ignore the meaning of those words. These are pretty simple words. Let's think about them. The hold is a lock around the head (and the chin is part of the head). Significantly, the neck is not part of the head. If the rules allowed strangulation, they would've called it a necklock. That's why you see refs bending down to see what the lock is around. If it's around the head = legal. If it's around the neck = illegal. 

But, you know, that's a pretty funny new word. Necklock. So, maybe we call him "Aaron Necklock Nagao" or just good ol' "Necklock."  

If you want to go work at a library and debate the merits of the dewey decimal system, this level of debate is probably great for you.

Seriously, have none of you wrestled before?

High crotches, collar ties, wrist rides, all need to be addressed.  Spladle’s not even a real thing, and how many kids who wrestle in the US have ever met a russian wearing a tie, let alone half of lord nelson.

I’m amazed that an arm around a neck, which happens in some fashion in just about every wrestling match, has brought this much interest, but nobody is talking about how the sport has evolved to a place where the most effective defense grenades knees.

If you don’t like him because you just don’t root for PSU, that’s great, but every team has a kid who has a move that approaches the edge of what is fair and legal, but this is dumb.  College wrestlers are not a helpless group of people.  

1 hour ago, wrestle87 said:

If you don’t like him because you just don’t root for PSU, that’s great, but every team has a kid who has a move that approaches the edge of what is fair and legal, but this is dumb.  College wrestlers are not a helpless group of people.  

This clearly wasn’t the case since this thread was started before last season was over.

12 hours ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

"The Submissiony Lion"

He hasn't been doing it since transferring though, at least I don't think

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

This clearly wasn’t the case since this thread was started before last season was over.

Ah yes, those convenient dates on posts which I am occasionally totally oblivious to

18 hours ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

In South Florida IWB is simply known as "The Stand-up."  No one is really sure if it its for his favorite wrestling move or his attempt to earn some extra weekend cash.  😉

• Haha 1