• Playwire Ad Area

No pressure or anything, Real

dragit

4 hours ago, mspart said:

That is really pretty wild.   Has that ever happened before, that the returning finalists not seeded to AA the next year. 

mspart

Yeah, it has to have.

You've had finalist who didn't qualify the following year. Craig Henning comes to mind. Took 8th I think at the B1Gs...didn't get one of the conferences at large bids in the old system when things were insanely political. 

1 hour ago, dragit said:

This is the gist of what I was saying -- particularly given that he didn't place the year before, he's been a bit of a disappointment.  Changing that with an undefeated national championship season and progressing from DNP-6-1 would speak well for Iowa.  

He didn't place the year before because he decided to wrestle right before the Pac-12 tournament out of shape. He only has one guy that placed ahead of him coming into the season - Matthews - He started the season #2 behind him. Winning the title does not prove that Iowa gets a huge feather in cap for developing talent. He would have been expected to be a finalist no matter where he was going to school. 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

1 minute ago, Idaho said:

If Warner finishes lower than 2nd, does this prove that you digress at Iowa from  your junior to senior year? 

Yeah, they paid Woods a lot of money to come there and Wrestle. I think making the finals is the expectation, not an outlier this year. 

It's just kinda silly to make this a make or break anything for Iowa or to suggests this speaks to their ability to develop or not. Watching that match vs Lee, Woods was RIGHT there with him. Attacking, constantly moving. He was closer to Lee than anyone else. 

• Fire 1

On 3/13/2023 at 1:51 PM, dragit said:

I think you have to say that Warner even has a shot, since he did last year.  Granted that would be the one and only data point that would support the theory.

That is a pretty important data point. 

On 3/13/2023 at 1:51 PM, dragit said:

I think you have to say that Warner even has a shot, since he did last year.  Granted that would be the one and only data point that would support the theory.

That is a pretty important data point. 

20 hours ago, scourge165 said:

Yeah, it has to have.

You've had finalist who didn't qualify the following year. Craig Henning comes to mind. Took 8th I think at the B1Gs...didn't get one of the conferences at large bids in the old system when things were insanely political. 

Henning did not take 8th and failed to place, that is why he wasn't given a coach's bid.  I believe at that time, the Big Ten coaches voted to use their conference bid allotments by giving one to the top 7 at every weight.  Then they had a few left over bids that were to be voted on by the coaches and given to deserving 8th place finishers.

• Fire 1

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

On 3/13/2023 at 12:27 PM, dragit said:

I think Woods's results this week are very important for the Iowa program.

They haven't had multiple champions since before wrestling was invented in 2011.  They've only had one champion not named Spencer Lee since 2014,with zero other than Lee out of all the strong recruits they had in the '22 and '23 graduating groups. 

And there is a perception of not developing elite talent/underperforming at NCAAs.   

Assuming Spencer finishes his fourth, finally having somebody else with him could demonstrate some Spencer coattails which have been missing to date.  Every year he's won he looks like the presidential candidate with the big win whose party doesn't gain any seats in Congress.

Cory Clark literally won a title like a year before lee got to the room lmao

2 minutes ago, hawkguy said:

Oh boy do I look silly lmao

Yeah but you got to LYAO so it worked out for everyone, particularly because I always appreciate any excuse to think about Clark's win -- the dictionary definition of grit.

• Haha 1

On 3/13/2023 at 11:12 AM, BigRedFan said:

Yeah:  those people who, for the last three years, say that *this* is the year Max reaches the podium.

I hope Max makes it this year. He is a workhorse. He will absolutely be a guy I will be watching for his matches to come up and watch the battles live.

What is the over under on how banged up he will look at the end of the tournament?

• Fire 1

10 hours ago, jchapman said:

Henning did not take 8th and failed to place, that is why he wasn't given a coach's bid.  I believe at that time, the Big Ten coaches voted to use their conference bid allotments by giving one to the top 7 at every weight.  Then they had a few left over bids that were to be voted on by the coaches and given to deserving 8th place finishers.

My bad. He lost to Schlatter and then in the Tie-breaker in the next round.

It was still the last year of the old allocation system that was deeply flawed...and he's kinda a prime example of who the at-large bids are for. The B1G had...4 or 5 of the top seeds that year ~6 seeds that year. 

He only lost to Poeta and Becker that year though(up until the B1G) IIRC. 

• Fire 1