• Playwire Ad Area

Injuries / Alternates

Show_Me

With all the Inj Def & mff we witnessed n the Qualifiers ........ when is the deadline for a wrestler to withdraw & be replaced by an Alternate ?  IIRC, isn't it the Monday (Mar.13) before Tourney starts ?

Specifically thinking about Cardinale, McGonagle, C. Young, Thomas, E. Miller, Hall, & others who appeared to mff for reasons other than Seed protection. 

I seem to remember Suriano withdrew from the tournament the day before NCAAs started. I don't know what you mean by replaced by an alternate though. The qualifiers and at larges have already been made. If my memory serves in Suriano's situation they left a hole in the braacket and just reseeded it.

1 minute ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

I seem to remember Suriano withdrew from the tournament the day before NCAAs started. I don't know what you mean by replaced by an alternate though. The qualifiers and at larges have already been made. If my memory serves in Suriano's situation they left a hole in the braacket and just reseeded it.

Actually PSU waited so long to make the decision that Suriano was not wrestling so there was no reseeding and the person Suriano was supposed to wrestle recieved a M.  Forfeit

• Fire 2

"the alternate will be inserted into the bracket"

Assuming the replacement/alternate is inserted as a #33 Seed and all the others move up a seeding spot ?

Will coaches of wrestlers that have bad injuries (McGonagle, Young, etc) wait until weigh-ins to withdraw since they are allowed to ?

Edited by Show_Me

I don't understand how an alternate could be subbed in at the last moment when there are other at large candidates out there who might deserve the open spot. Even they could wait until weigh-ins it would suck for the starter and backup to both be on notice to make weight, game plan, and be ready to go but not knowing for sure until the last minute. The potential return for all this hassle is low. Better to pull the trigger and make a decision and plan accordingly.

3 minutes ago, Show_Me said:

"the alternate will be inserted into the bracket"

It doesn't specifically say ... assuming the replacement is inserted as a #33 Seed and all others move up a seeding spot ?

Will coaches of wrestlers that have bad injuries (McGonagle, Young, etc) wait until weigh-ins to withdraw since they can ?

I believe that is how it was handled with Wyatt Sheets in 2021. He was inserted as the 33 seed. I am not sure if it was the prior 33 seed that had dropped though.

• Fire 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

7 minutes ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

I don't understand how an alternate could be subbed in at the last moment when there are other at large candidates out there who might deserve the open spot. Even they could wait until weigh-ins it would suck for the starter and backup to both be on notice to make weight, game plan, and be ready to go but not knowing for sure until the last minute. The potential return for all this hassle is low. Better to pull the trigger and make a decision and plan accordingly.

The alternates come from the pool of other at large candidates.

1 minute ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I believe that is how it was handled with Wyatt Sheets in 2021. He was inserted as the 33 seed. I am not sure if it was the prior 33 seed that had dropped though.

Believe that was early in the week or weekend prior.   If someone drops night before/morning of I'd think they would just plug them in and not redraw.  I'm sure someone knows.  

• Fire 1

Jason Renteria missed wight in Cleveland (I believe) and one of the alternates was there and able to make weight.  I have no idea how much time the alternate had to get notified and make weight but it has been done as as late as the morning of before.

Jason Renteria missed wight in Cleveland (I believe) and one of the alternates was there and able to make weight.  I have no idea how much time the alternate had to get notified and make weight but it has been done as as late as the morning of before.

Alternates are at the official weigh-in as well. They are expected to be ready if called upon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

50 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

Imagine sucking a bunch of weight just on the remote possibility of wrestling.  

Wyatt Sheets pulled an AA off ofnit.

• Fire 2

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

1 hour ago, Dogbone said:

That one stunned me at the time. Talk about a lack of attention to detail.

2 hours ago, Dogbone said:

I believe this was allowed because they changed the rule following the Suriano fiasco. Cael knew Suriano was not wrestling, but he wanted to keep Picc in Gilman's quarter so he left him in until it was too late.