• Playwire Ad Area

Can we finally get rid of ankle bands

Ponzi

2 hours ago, ionel said:

Maybe we should go back to wearing leggings, every team shall have a set of red and green leggings.  Leggings don't fall off.

dan-gable-24-12-ad-box-1961.jpg?w=193

We already have kids wearing leggings under their shorts. Not really sure what that's all about. I have also seen youth kids wearing them at wrestling tournaments. As we all know, they are not secured under the foot by a stirrup like the rule book requires. 

I started wrestling in the tights era (not leggings, ffs), and they were made from a cross between painting dropcloths and USMC-issued blankets.  Nonetheless, they were great at sliding and minimizing mat burns. With the advent of spandex and other newer fabrics, wearing them would be a no brainer for me if I was to start wrestling nowadays. 

5 hours ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

Get rid of ankle rides
Get rid of ankle grabs
Get rid of ankle bands

The obvious solution is to get rid of ankles in wrestling, period. No ankled wrestlers allowed! Shinstumps only!

Ankles are OK.  But no Cankles!

7 hours ago, Offthemat said:

Is there a list?

Another non-problem that is not on the list to which I propose a solution:  Make the wrestling area square.  Just make the out of bounds lines 5 feet inside the edge of the mat all around.  This will increase the wrestling area by the ration 4/3.14 which is about a 30% increase of inbounds area thus keeping action going without any lower minimum safety margin.  Note:  Area of a circle = 3.14 * r^2.  (Pi R squared phonetically).  The area of the square is (2*r)^2 which is 4 * r^2 (four R squared).  

Square wrestling boundaries IN!  Ankle bands:  still also IN!

• Fire 1

16 minutes ago, Lipdrag said:

Another non-problem that is not on the list to which I propose a solution:  Make the wrestling area square.  Just make the out of bounds lines 5 feet inside the edge of the mat all around.  This will increase the wrestling area by the ration 4/3.14 which is about a 30% increase of inbounds area thus keeping action going without any lower minimum safety margin.  Note:  Area of a circle = 3.14 * r^2.  (Pi R squared phonetically).  The area of the square is (2*r)^2 which is 4 * r^2 (four R squared).  

Something old:  https://intermatwrestle.com/articles/20118

uniwrestlingring.jpg

Something new: https://intermatwrestle.com/articles/14374

boundary.jpg

Edited by lu_alum
  • Fire 2

3 hours ago, Lipdrag said:

We use to wrestle on a square mat! 

This has always been a serious problem for me. I have trouble distinguishing red from green. Those damn ankle bands have always been a problem.

Turns out that roughly 10% of men are red-green color blind. I've heard higher figures in the past.

Add white stripes to the green ones, add black diagonal stripes to the red ones. That solves the real problem here.

Green-White-Stripe.png?fit=197,188&ssl=1

red_black_stripe_gradient_clip_art_previ

13 hours ago, ClawRidesAgain said:

True story.  A lady sitting next to my wife and me at a tournament years ago confided to us that the first wrestling tournament she ever went to had green and red ankle bands, and she thought they were for Christmas.

LOL...I mean, I can see it. It's the first tournament, you don't know Wrestling. Makes sense...I guess.

What's funnier is she probably understood Wrestling by that point and still told the story knowing how stupid it seems for someone who's been around the sport. So she was a little self deprecating and that's funny.

23 hours ago, Ponzi said:

Speaking of a non-problem that should be solved: Can we do away with ankle bands?  They are so amateurish.

Instead of each wrestler having to don the bands pre-match, each team could simply supply the ref with a wrist band that matches their singlet. (At tournaments, each wrestler could hand the ref a matching wrist band.

Here we go again, from eliminating coaches at the mat, to eliminating the bands around their ankles! Can we just not sit back and enjoy what we have? You know there are a lot of people that would like to have what we have. Mom, is that you? I’m awake now.