• Playwire Ad Area

Remove coaches from mat corners

One8alpha

I would just make it a penalty for a coach to yell, use hand signs or otherwise try to suggest the ref should make a call against the opposing wrestler.  If they want to question a call, that is what the brick is for.  If there is a scoring issue, go to the head table.  But if the coach is putting up a fist to suggest stalling should be called, that would be unsportsmanlike conduct on the coach and a team point.  They are showing disrespect to the ref and setting a bad example of sportsmanship to their team.  

i raise you a bobby knight, or a mike K

or a jerry glanville

or a texas volleyball coach

btw, i think the brands have a pretty good record with the brick. i remember the btn team sparks and johnson commenting on how right they usually are 

and in the woods/hardy match, they probably were right again, even tho they didn't win

• Fire 1

Even though the original question is ridiculous, I am amazed at the behavior of some of the coaches...I wish the refs would call unsportsmanlike conduct on the coaches more...especially the frequent offenders.  If you listen to them they are like the grade school bullies at recess that don't know how to control their emotions and throw temper tantrums when they don't get what their way.  While entertaining in a way it is sort of ridiculous as well.

Yes I like the word ridiculous

• Fire 2

If Maryland made Robin Ficker an honorary matside coach, the NCAA'd have an emergency session to change the rule. Can you imagine 3,000 "Headlock Sheptocks" in seven minutes? Or, 800 "This is appalling, call some stalling"?

I'm good with the rule now because Coach Poeta is incredible with his Jedi ways. He simply suggests, "Who is working here?" Or, "What can be done to force some action?" That politely puts the question in the ref's mind, and it seems to be more effective than screaming.

Listening to the many of the coaches, especially Minnesota coaches, and overhearing them quite a bit, they really should re-evaluate how they interact with referees.  They argue every single call that doesnt go their way, even when they dont even have angle to see it, or they are just plain dead wrong.  Sometimes they were right, but why would you call a referee "terrible, youre so terrible", when it was a 50/50 locking hands call and youre guy is winning by 5 points with 10 seconds left?  Consistently getting screamed at for every call, getting called names when there is video evidence showing that the referee was right is not the best way to win over the ref.  Hes gonna remember you calling him an idiot all day on the next one that is 50/50.  And for crying out loud, you dont have to scream TWOOOOOOOO in every single crackdown position, especially when seconds after you yell it, your guy is on his back.  I am a big Minnesota fan - I went to every camp when I was a senior and even went out to UM a few summers and worked the camps and trained.  I bringing it up because I want to see them win and their antics are detracting.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, olddirty said:

Listening to the many of the coaches, especially Minnesota coaches, and overhearing them quite a bit, they really should re-evaluate how they interact with referees.  They argue every single call that doesnt go their way, even when they dont even have angle to see it, or they are just plain dead wrong.  Sometimes they were right, but why would you call a referee "terrible, youre so terrible", when it was a 50/50 locking hands call and youre guy is winning by 5 points with 10 seconds left?  Consistently getting screamed at for every call, getting called names when there is video evidence showing that the referee was right is not the best way to win over the ref.  Hes gonna remember you calling him an idiot all day on the next one that is 50/50.  And for crying out loud, you dont have to scream TWOOOOOOOO in every single crackdown position, especially when seconds after you yell it, your guy is on his back.  I am a big Minnesota fan - I went to every camp when I was a senior and even went out to UM a few summers and worked the camps and trained.  I bringing it up because I want to see them win and their antics are detracting.

As an Official I would get be accused of being terrible and would still get invited back to those same schools. Eventually I stopped accepting their events and chose events at other schools. Sure the wrestling might not have been as good, but it all paid the same. 

I am not even sure why someone would suggest that wrestling coaches be removed from the corner when basketball and football coaches get to chirp on the sidelines! Hell football even has a "Get Back" Coach! 

20 hours ago, Warm Up Champ said:

Maybe coaching harnesses?  Each coach is required to wear one and they are attached to a solid object that is (fill in the blank) distance from the mat?  After the match the coach unhooks their harness, holds the strap, and walks around the tournament with it on until their next wrestler is up.  Repeat....

Mom insures her child during a walk

Is this a test run for the Tom Brands model?

• Haha 1

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

21 hours ago, Warm Up Champ said:

Maybe coaching harnesses?  Each coach is required to wear one and they are attached to a solid object that is (fill in the blank) distance from the mat?  After the match the coach unhooks their harness, holds the strap, and walks around the tournament with it on until their next wrestler is up.  Repeat....

And the long straps of the harnesses are connected to the pulleys of a mechanism under control of the refs, one that will pull the coaches three to five feet backwards when the refs hit a special button. Button can be used repeatedly if the coach steps on the mat. It would be a joy to watch some of these guys getting yanked back 6 or 10 feet when they get too noisy and aggressive.

Edited by Pa in Taiwan
typo
  • Haha 2

On 3/7/2023 at 8:14 PM, Warm Up Champ said:

Mom insures her child during a walk

LOL...this remind me of this whole act the Brands did.

Terry was yelling at the ref doing the pointing and...whining. Tom Grabs him and tries to calm him down, they take a half step, Tom turns around starts pointing and yelling at the refs...Terry grabs him. Now Terry turns back and yells...goes on for like 4-5 times each person. 

It was the most ridiculous thing I ever saw. I actually missed the start and still saw about 4 times they turned and bitched at the refs. Peak-Brands.

• Haha 2

On 3/7/2023 at 5:35 PM, tap-in-bogey said:

I wonder what Cael's win percentage is on bricks thrown.  He rarely seems to toss one. I'm guessing when he does, he's pretty confident that he saw something different than the refs.  Brands on the other hand, appears to wish he had two, so he could be even more emphatic with his brick barrage.

Cael doesn't need to throw the brick, the officials just call their own time out for review.

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/7/2023 at 7:07 PM, Idaho said:

Nailed it. His constant stall calls from the corner is rivaling Iowa.  I swear he through like 7 bricks during the Kaylor Courtney match. 

Probably because Kaylor stalled his ass off until OT! I swore I saw the ref ding him with a stall in the second period when he backed out of bounds, but must not have. I though Kaylor was going to lose because of a stall call. Overall officiating at the PAC 12 was horrible, much like football refereeing in the conference. Courtney should get his chance for revenge in round 2.