• Playwire Ad Area

Oldest AA?

CHROMEBIRD

2 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

I initially read this as his son was at Purdue at the same time (I read it as 'that year' versus 'this year') and started laughing like a maniac and getting really confused.

He would have been really old to win an NCAA title....I think he is pushing 60 now...

• Fire 1

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

1 hour ago, scourge165 said:

Storley, maybe the best Wrestler in SD HS history. 

I know Storley was a 6x state champ and won Fargo, but feels like you have to give this to mere 5x state champ Lincoln Mac by a mile given his immediate impact as a true freshman. 

• Fire 1

12 hours ago, bwh27 said:

I know Storley was a 6x state champ and won Fargo, but feels like you have to give this to mere 5x state champ Lincoln Mac by a mile given his immediate impact as a true freshman. 

I'm just going HS. If you include post-HS, it's not even a competition. He's got at least a couple Olympians in front of him in Lewis and Mcllravy.

14 hours ago, scourge165 said:

Brown had as tough a time cracking the PSU lineup as he did winning a title!

I remember he was a '65 pounder...maybe it was '74, but he went up and beat a pretty good '97 pounder from Michigan. 

He also had a pretty competitive wrestle off with Ruth I believe. 

Pretty damn good career though. 2, 5, 1 in 3 years. That was when there were like 5 or 6 just physical, tough '74 pounders in the B1G who didn't exactly light up the scoreboards, but they beat the hell outta you and were tough to score on. Storley, maybe the best Wrestler in SD HS history. Kokesh, Evans, Howe...probably forgetting a couple guys. 

Storley better than Randy Lewis?

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

Just now, jchapman said:

Storley better than Randy Lewis?

HS...best High School Wrestler.

3 minutes ago, scourge165 said:

I'm just going HS. If you include post-HS, it's not even a competition. He's got at least a couple Olympians in front of him in Lewis and Mcllravy.

14 hours ago, scourge165 said:

Brown had as tough a time cracking the PSU lineup as he did winning a title!

I remember he was a '65 pounder...maybe it was '74, but he went up and beat a pretty good '97 pounder from Michigan. 

He also had a pretty competitive wrestle off with Ruth I believe. 

Pretty damn good career though. 2, 5, 1 in 3 years. That was when there were like 5 or 6 just physical, tough '74 pounders in the B1G who didn't exactly light up the scoreboards, but they beat the hell outta you and were tough to score on. Storley, maybe the best Wrestler in SD HS history. Kokesh, Evans, Howe...probably forgetting a couple guys. 

That was a memorable group. 

Storley Evans Brown Kokesh. 

I don't think Howe was at 174 when he was in the Big Ten.  The other 4 had quite a round robin going. Kokesh and Storley in particular, I think they went back to South Dakota together (?)  and then had a last second insane takedown on the edge in the wrestlebacks; the beauty of it is I can't remember which one chased the other down, literally, the one who got taken down was literally running away in the last 3 seconds.

Then Wilps crashed the B1G party, made the final, was seconds away from winning after a late TD, and got, shall we say, a little bit of gamesmanship from Gentleman Brown - after a five count stall call tied it, Brown went from feet to knees on purpose to induce a locked hands call, and Wilps's entrapment defense was rejected by the judge.  

I think Wilps is an MD now.

Bonus points for every factual error I made, of which I'm sure there are many, that you can point out.

• Fire 1

43 minutes ago, scourge165 said:

HS...best High School Wrestler.

45 consecutive pins, OW at Junior Nationals, and a Junior World champion in high school:  pretty good case for best high school wrestler from SD.  But I guess it is subjective.

22 minutes ago, jchapman said:

45 consecutive pins, OW at Junior Nationals, and a Junior World champion in high school:  pretty good case for best high school wrestler from SD.  But I guess it is subjective.

Storley won a junior world title?  Which year? I don't see his name on the list linked below, nor was it in his entry in the UWW database. The only thing there was 8th place at the 2011 Junior World Cup.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Cadet,_Junior,_and_Espoir_World_Champions_in_men's_freestyle_wrestling

5 minutes ago, dragit said:

That was a memorable group. 

Storley Evans Brown Kokesh. 

I don't think Howe was at 174 when he was in the Big Ten.  The other 4 had quite a round robin going. Kokesh and Storley in particular, I think they went back to South Dakota together (?)  and then had a last second insane takedown on the edge in the wrestlebacks; the beauty of it is I can't remember which one chased the other down, literally, the one who got taken down was literally running away in the last 3 seconds.

Then Wilps crashed the B1G party, made the final, was seconds away from winning after a late TD, and got, shall we say, a little bit of gamesmanship from Gentleman Brown - after a five count stall call tied it, Brown went from feet to knees on purpose to induce a locked hands call, and Wilps's entrapment defense was rejected by the judge.  

I think Wilps is an MD now.

Bonus points for every factual error I made, of which I'm sure there are many, that you can point out.

I was thinking about 2014 I guess when Howe was at Oklahoma and you had Perry, Howe, Storley, Kokesh, Brown, Evans, Wilps in the top 7. Hayden Zilmer was in that bracket, as was Mike Ottinger who was a tank. 

Sorley and Kokesh had some incredible matches. The year Brown won it, Kokesh looked like he was the odds on favorite(2015). Beat Brown in the B1G finals, but even that match, they were back and forth. IIRC, Kokesh wrestled a lot of close matches, that year he kinda opened it up and it looked like he'd break through. 3,3,4,3. 

I don't know there there are any factual errors I can point out. I kinda just remember it as a few year run in which there were a few just maulers in the B1G at 174, but I needed to go back and look at the brackets to remember exactly which year who did what(I thought Brown went 5,2,1 instead of 2,5,1 for instance. 

But watching Wilps and Brown...there were a lot of things I didn't remember or mis-remembered...starting with the fact that I thought Wilps was a long kinda lanky wrestler, but he was just a big SOB. Long, but not someone I'd describe as lanky. He looks like a '97 pounder! I guess Brown's days of moving around from '65 to '97 paid off.

And then the final 10 seconds. Wilps with the TD that looks like it's gonna seal it...a stalling point that...seemed a bit quick to me and the baited locked hands as you pointed out. And Brown definitely baits him, but that just had to be a mental slip by Wilps, because he seems hold onto it forever(insomuch as a 3 second go can be forever). 

Glad I re-watched that and the B1G final. 

Kokesh was probably the best Wrestler that year at that weight, maybe followed by Wilps, but that's what makes the D1s the best sporting event in the world to me. If you tell me in 2 weeks that Mekhi Lewis, Hidlay, Hamiti, even Glory or Vito are National Champs, I wouldn't be shocked(I'd be shocked if they all wrere). 

Man, that's 9 years old and it was more than worth it to go back and watch the B1G finals and then this match;

• Fire 1

28 minutes ago, jchapman said:

I mean...I also qualified it with "maybe the best." 

This isn't my hill! LOL...just again pointing out how Storley when he was coming out was viewed as a special, unique type of recruit. In fact, I think he may have been the same year as the famous Chris Phillips and that Monroeville team in Ohio with 4-4X State Champs, Phillips, Logan and Hunter Stieber and Cam Tessari. Phillips was a 4X Champ...I think all at 171 in Ohio...which in and of itself should say plenty, but he also just dominated the Ironman a couple times, won National Tourney's and was a freak talent in his own right. None of this really has to do with the thread, but I find it all interesting.

And Storley was a 6X Champ in SD with a record of like 230-2. Maybe I mythologized Storley a bit in my head, but I was just a huge fan of his coming out. He was a beast and he was a kid you wanted to root for.

You check out this match vs a Fargo AA and how Storley handled it and it was tough to not be a fan. 

Again...almost totally unrelated to the thread. Just a way of remembering one helluva wrestler who didn't accomplish his ultimate goal.

• Fire 1

21 minutes ago, fishbane said:

Storley won a junior world title?  Which year? I don't see his name on the list linked below, nor was it in his entry in the UWW database. The only thing there was 8th place at the 2011 Junior World Cup.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Cadet,_Junior,_and_Espoir_World_Champions_in_men's_freestyle_wrestling

Those are Randy Lewis' high school accolades.  I am making the case that he is the best SD high school wrestler

1 minute ago, scourge165 said:

I mean...I also qualified it with "maybe the best." 

This isn't my hill! LOL...just again pointing out how Storley when he was coming out was viewed as a special, unique type of recruit. In fact, I think he may have been the same year as the famous Chris Phillips and that Monroeville team in Ohio with 4-4X State Champs, Phillips, Logan and Hunter Stieber and Cam Tessari. Phillips was a 4X Champ...I think all at 171 in Ohio...which in and of itself should say plenty, but he also just dominated the Ironman a couple times, won National Tourney's and was a freak talent in his own right. None of this really has to do with the thread, but I find it all interesting.

And Storley was a 6X Champ in SD with a record of like 230-2. Maybe I mythologized Storley a bit in my head, but I was just a huge fan of his coming out. He was a beast and he was a kid you wanted to root for.

You check out this match vs a Fargo AA and how Storley handled it and it was tough to not be a fan. 

Again...almost totally unrelated to the thread. Just a way of remembering one helluva wrestler who didn't accomplish his ultimate goal.

I got you.  That's why I say it is subjective.  6X state champ is tough to beat!

• Fire 1

22 minutes ago, fishbane said:

I assume he's talking about Randy Lewis.

• Fire 1

24 minutes ago, jchapman said:

Those are Randy Lewis' high school accolades.  I am making the case that he is the best SD high school wrestler

Ah yeah.  For whatever reason that 1977 junior world title wasn't showing in Lewis's database entry.  Not sure when in 1977 that tournament was contested, but junior worlds at least in recent years are held in the October-November time frame.  I think in October 1977 Lewis would have been in his first semester at the University of Iowa.   So it perhaps is a little unfair to include that in high school accolades if it was in October/November 1977 and possibly after Lewis had already represented Iowa in competition.  

On the other hand Lewis would have turned 18 in June 1977 so he was a fairly young college freshman.  Still I would count something he did after graduating high school and starting classes in college among high school accolades.  On the other hand Storley was comparatively older when he graduated high school and turned 19 the September he started at Minnesota. 

1 minute ago, fishbane said:

Ah yeah.  For whatever reason that 1977 junior world title wasn't showing in Lewis's database entry.  Not sure when in 1977 that tournament was contested, but junior worlds at least in recent years are held in the October-November time frame.  I think in October 1977 Lewis would have been in his first semester at the University of Iowa.   So it perhaps is a little unfair to include that in high school accolades if it was in October/November 1977 and possibly after Lewis had already represented Iowa in competition.  

On the other hand Lewis would have turned 18 in June 1977 so he was a fairly young college freshman.  Still I would count something he did after graduating high school and starting classes in college among high school accolades.  On the other hand Storley was comparatively older when he graduated high school and turned 19 the September he started at Minnesota. 

LOL...lets just go with, "Both really-really good!'

• Fire 1

11 minutes ago, fishbane said:

Lewis won the 20 and under Junior World Championship in 1977, it took place July 11-16.  So he had graduated high school, but was not yet a collegiate wrestler.

1 hour ago, scourge165 said:

I was thinking about 2014 I guess when Howe was at Oklahoma and you had Perry, Howe, Storley, Kokesh, Brown, Evans, Wilps in the top 7. Hayden Zilmer was in that bracket, as was Mike Ottinger who was a tank. 

Sorley and Kokesh had some incredible matches. The year Brown won it, Kokesh looked like he was the odds on favorite(2015). Beat Brown in the B1G finals, but even that match, they were back and forth. IIRC, Kokesh wrestled a lot of close matches, that year he kinda opened it up and it looked like he'd break through. 3,3,4,3. 

I don't know there there are any factual errors I can point out. I kinda just remember it as a few year run in which there were a few just maulers in the B1G at 174, but I needed to go back and look at the brackets to remember exactly which year who did what(I thought Brown went 5,2,1 instead of 2,5,1 for instance. 

But watching Wilps and Brown...there were a lot of things I didn't remember or mis-remembered...starting with the fact that I thought Wilps was a long kinda lanky wrestler, but he was just a big SOB. Long, but not someone I'd describe as lanky. He looks like a '97 pounder! I guess Brown's days of moving around from '65 to '97 paid off.

And then the final 10 seconds. Wilps with the TD that looks like it's gonna seal it...a stalling point that...seemed a bit quick to me and the baited locked hands as you pointed out. And Brown definitely baits him, but that just had to be a mental slip by Wilps, because he seems hold onto it forever(insomuch as a 3 second go can be forever). 

Glad I re-watched that and the B1G final. 

Kokesh was probably the best Wrestler that year at that weight, maybe followed by Wilps, but that's what makes the D1s the best sporting event in the world to me. If you tell me in 2 weeks that Mekhi Lewis, Hidlay, Hamiti, even Glory or Vito are National Champs, I wouldn't be shocked(I'd be shocked if they all wrere). 

Man, that's 9 years old and it was more than worth it to go back and watch the B1G finals and then this match;

Well put - I really thought it was Kokesh's year.  He was noticeably crisper, which was saying something because he was already terrific.  And he rolled through Big Tens.  I always wonder when someone loses Friday morning if it could be weight related.  Regardless, after Wilps got past, I was pulling for him, that would have been quite an achievement to win that bracket from the 8th seed.

I remember Kokesh had planned to leave wrestling altogether and farm; glad to see him doing so obviously well coaching.

• Fire 1

He was 27 when he AA his senior year - he was 28 at the time of the article in October. 

Thanks for the update. That was the best Google source I found while sitting in the pickup line at my kid’s school.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, jchapman said:

Lewis won the 20 and under Junior World Championship in 1977, it took place July 11-16.  So he had graduated high school, but was not yet a collegiate wrestler.

That's fair.  July I'd count with high school too.  

• Fire 2

20 hours ago, Idaho said:

Charlie Jones - In the Air Force for 6 years.... went to Purdue and won the NCAA title at 167 in 1992 I believe.  His son, Charlie Jones was a second team all-american in football this year (at Purdue). 

Jones is the oldest ever NCAA champion.  He was 27 years old when he won the title.  No idea of the oldest AA.