• Playwire Ad Area

Oldest AA?

CHROMEBIRD

Who are the oldest wresters in recent memory to AA? I figure someone here must know this.

I'll be rooting for Micky "Old Man Strength" Phillippi to get past R12 at Nationals and AA this year. He was born in April 1997 and will be a few weeks short of his 26th birthday. Not that it's a given, but I would like to see it happen. Has there been anyone older on the podium?

• Fire 2

Charlie Jones - In the Air Force for 6 years.... went to Purdue and won the NCAA title at 167 in 1992 I believe.  His son, Charlie Jones was a second team all-american in football this year (at Purdue). 

• Fire 4

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

11 minutes ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

Tell me about it!! Same here

I was convinced a nice big duplex was a BRILLIANT idea! Start building capital...rent out the top half! Like an infomercial, "it's that easy!"

Worked out in the end, but stressful for a while.

28 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Charlie Jones - In the Air Force for 6 years.... went to Purdue and won the NCAA title at 167 in 1992 I believe.  His son, Charlie Jones was a second team all-american in football this year (at Purdue). 

I initially read this as his son was at Purdue at the same time (I read it as 'that year' versus 'this year') and started laughing like a maniac and getting really confused.

Edited by Xmas32

26 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Yeah, he's a stud. I think he's going to be a really nice slot WRer/return man at the next level. Problem is...he's also older for the draft, but a 5th round pick maybe?

Blew up this year at Purdue. Wasted as Iowa. I'd like to see him in Green and Gold next year. 

• Fire 1

Matt Lamb, Michigan State HWT was mid to late 20's but I think blood round was his best finish.  He made a comeback on the SR GR circuit at age 42.

Matt Brown, PSU was around 25, I think.  One season He wrestled like 4 different weights, 165-197 or something like that.

Edited by MNRodent

Tanner Hall is going to return next season after his mission, while Schultzy does an Oly-shirt.

If he pulls an AA in it would likely count as the oldest ever at 46 years young.

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

30 minutes ago, MNRodent said:

Matt Lamb, Michigan State HWT was mid to late 20's but I think blood round was his best finish.  He made a comeback on the SR GR circuit at age 42.

Matt Brown, PSU was around 25, I think.  One season He wrestled like 4 different weights, 165-197 or something like that.

Brown had as tough a time cracking the PSU lineup as he did winning a title!

I remember he was a '65 pounder...maybe it was '74, but he went up and beat a pretty good '97 pounder from Michigan. 

He also had a pretty competitive wrestle off with Ruth I believe. 

Pretty damn good career though. 2, 5, 1 in 3 years. That was when there were like 5 or 6 just physical, tough '74 pounders in the B1G who didn't exactly light up the scoreboards, but they beat the hell outta you and were tough to score on. Storley, maybe the best Wrestler in SD HS history. Kokesh, Evans, Howe...probably forgetting a couple guys. 

• Fire 1