• Playwire Ad Area

Most questionable calls from the conference tourneys?

VakAttack

In the finals today, of the ones I've seen, I thought not calling stalling on RBY when he was on bottom was odd, but to be fair, Nagao seemed very content to just lose by a decision.  Was Nagao called for stalling in neutral?  He should have been.  I thought the stalling calls against Woods at 141 were terrible and not in line with how stalling has been called, but I would be very happy if they wanted to start calling stalling as aggressively as that; I also thought the "no backpoint" call was wrong the first time, but right the second time.  I thought the Robb non-TD call against Haines was wrong, that looked pretty clear to me, but *shrug*.  I thought the Andonian TD should have actually been an O'Connor TD, but that's partially on the UNC staff for screwing up their challenge.  I thought the first stall call against Parris was odd, but I'd like to rewatch it.

My vote is for the Robb non-TD.  I thought that was clearly going to be reversed.

• Fire 1

I've had a few friends bring up the No takedown call against otoole in the first period of his match with carr. I didn't see the match but believe it was reviewed and no td call stayed. 

Hamiti definitely had a pin off a cradle in his semis I believe that wasn't called somehow.

Stall calling in general remains frustrating and inconsistent. 

1 hour ago, Le duke said:

Thought Starocci had two additional TDs (one being a neutral danger that the ref didn't even try to get into position to see) against Labriola.

Can you challenge a non-swiping for neutral danger? 

This is a good one, I thought Labs was clearly past 90 for significant portions of the scrambling 

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, DocBB said:

Also the stall calls on Mason Paris to push it to SV

2nd one was a stall. The first was terrible.  Mason looked surprised he gave up a point.  It seemed that he (like the announcers) didn't realize they had called the first stall.

• Fire 1

Why is the wrestling community in general so focused on officiating? I was reading through the Iowa board Session 4 thread and would guess 80% of the posts had the word “stall” in them. This is a more…controlled discussion and involves rule philosophy, but it’s always the same focus. 

Just now, MLB9 said:

Why is the wrestling community in general so focused on officiating? I was reading through the Iowa board Session 4 thread and would guess 80% of the posts had the word “stall” in them. This is a more…controlled discussion and involves rule philosophy, but it’s always the same focus. 

Because the action is not as enjoyable to watch, and the rules either need to be enforced or changed to encourage action.  Some wrestling podcast I was listening to earnestly described a 6-5 match as a shootout!

Because someone decided that it would be a good idea to let the refs award points to a competitor, entirely unlike any other major sport. Also, can we make a rule that you can do anything you want with your fingers except a few places you can’t put them?  Big 12 refs were pathetic. 

13 minutes ago, Offthemat said:

Because someone decided that it would be a good idea to let the refs award points to a competitor, entirely unlike any other major sport. Also, can we make a rule that you can do anything you want with your fingers except a few places you can’t put them?  Big 12 refs were pathetic. 

What is your solution? So the wrestler should get no points awarded for illegal holds or stalling? 

11 minutes ago, JVStateChamp said:

What is your solution? So the wrestler should get no points awarded for illegal holds or stalling? 

Restart with choice as in injury time.  Like in football and basketball, you can make it easier for them to score but they have to do it themselves. 

2 minutes ago, Offthemat said:

Restart with choice as in injury time.  Like in football and basketball, you can make it easier for them to score but they have to do it themselves. 

So if an individual locks hands from top or say illegal slam, the other wrestler gets to just restart from whatever position they may want? 

7 minutes ago, Offthemat said:

You are correct that in basketball they give you an unopposed opportunity to score.  I am not sure that is the same as choice in wrestling, but it's close.

In football they give yardage.  That's not anything like choice in wrestling.  

It is in my mind.  It moves you closer to a first down or the end zone.  Sometimes it gives you a first down or replay the down.  How many touchdown drives are said to be kept alive by a penalty?  Choice doesn’t automatically give one wrestler points, it gives one an opportunity, and increases the action in the match.  

24 minutes ago, Offthemat said:

The Clinch!

• Haha 1

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

Ref not giving reversal to Poulin even though he has Surtin nearly pinned for quite a while.  Curious to hear thoughts on this.  I agree can’t call reversal quickly but it was there long enough that I felt it was deserved even though Surtin had the cradle.  

Eventually awarded but only after cradle was lost.

• Fire 2

On 3/6/2023 at 11:49 AM, MLB9 said:

Agree, however I think this is the case for other sports like the NFL too...

Obviously there are going to be calls that probably could've gone either way.  But I feel like I see it often where you have guys saying things like "this was the worst call ever!" when it was really borderline.   Obviously aren't going to encourage people to get into officiating doing stuff like that

16 hours ago, ugarles said:

I usually get frustrated by stalling chants (it's become a plague from the Cornell home crowd) but in the Ramirez-Cassella EIWA semi they were appropriate. Cassella spent 7 minutes in literal reverse.

You think Ramirez was getting annoyed?
(in this image, the clock is still running)

Screen Shot 2023-03-06 at 10.35.33 PM.png

1 hour ago, BigRedFan said:

You think Ramirez was getting annoyed?
(in this image, the clock is still running)

lol i remember that - Ramirez got tired of all the edge bs and walked backwards to the center of the mat and invited Casella to join him

• Fire 1

On 3/6/2023 at 2:02 PM, Dark Energy said:

Ref not giving reversal to Poulin even though he has Surtin nearly pinned for quite a while.  Curious to hear thoughts on this.  I agree can’t call reversal quickly but it was there long enough that I felt it was deserved even though Surtin had the cradle.  

Eventually awarded but only after cradle was lost.

If top man has a cradle - the bottom man literally can not score any points until the cradle is broken (they can be awarded a non-controlled fall though) 

• Fire 1