• Playwire Ad Area

I really enjoyed the RBY for Hodge era

CHROMEBIRD

Forget the Hodge.  A wrestler that can dominate a match from the bottom deserves a better award.  Maybe call it the "Rented Mule Beats the Ass Ass Beating" Trophy.

I present Jason Nolf vs Ryan Deakin.

Deakin got hit for stalling three times on top, giving up three points on 3x stalling plus locked hands, but avoided the tech.

Nolf 19, Deakin 7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Fire 2

1 hour ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

And Deakin hilariously almost got stalled out from top. While ranked #2 in the country. One of the funniest things I have ever seen in wrestling. Never saw a top guy concede defeat so thoroughly.

I forgot about the top stalling calls. Part of me needs to rewatch that match but an even bigger part doesn't want to see a whole period of top riding.

• Fire 1

Deakin once rode out Nolf, who scored 8 takedowns on him in that same match while Deakin gave up two stalling points on top and one locked hands.

But Deakin can tell his grandkids that he rode out a 3-time NCAA champ who would have won at least 1 Hodge if it weren't for his teammate.  

Whoops: I didn't see that someone seems to have mentioned this already.

Edited by SocraTease

6 minutes ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

The match has convinced me that RBY would not be able to get out from under a healthy Spencer.

He probably wouldn't have to.  He would be taking a gassed Spencer down too many times and riding him.  

He would also choose neutral.  

10 minutes ago, SocraTease said:

Nagao threw legs in and did nothing.  That beautiful (barely scored) riding time point, though, prevented him from being taken down a few more times so that RBY could work toward a major.  

I seem to remember Nagao throwing legs in and then RBY going to a quad-pod (not to be confused with a quad-box) and RBY proceeding to do nothing.

If RBY wanted to wrestle out of bottom, he certainly could have given it a serious effort. Then he could have possibly been free to score more TD's. But he did not.

Let's be honest. When Nagao got on top and started clamping down, RBY shut it down. Can't call the guy on top for stalling when the bottom guy isn't doing anything.

1 minute ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

I seem to remember Nagao throwing legs in and then RBY going to a quad-pod (not to be confused with a quad-box) and RBY proceeding to do nothing.

If RBY wanted to wrestle out of bottom, he certainly could have given it a serious effort. Then he could have possibly been free to score more TD's. But he did not.

Let's be honest. When Nagao got on top and started clamping down, RBY shut it down. Can't call the guy on top for stalling when the bottom guy isn't doing anything.

But it was useless.  Nagao wasn't going to turn RBY.  So it wasn't going to win the match.  But maybe it massaged his ego a bit.

Just now, SocraTease said:

But it was useless.  Nagao wasn't going to turn RBY.  So it wasn't going to win the match.  But maybe it massaged his ego a bit.

That's hindsight.

Nagao may have been able to take advantage of RBY's escape/reversal attempts to scramble/turn and potentially win the match, had RBY attempted any.

Nobody knew RBY was going to turtle up. I was surprised that RBY, as a potential Hodge contender, didn't show any fight from bottom. He was content to win by a few pts.

• Fire 1

14 minutes ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

That's hindsight.

Nagao may have been able to take advantage of RBY's escape/reversal attempts to scramble/turn and potentially win the match, had RBY attempted any.

Nobody knew RBY was going to turtle up. I was surprised that RBY, as a potential Hodge contender, didn't show any fight from bottom. He was content to win by a few pts.

Better than being content to lose by a few points.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

That's hindsight.

Maybe Nagao should’ve cut RBY and tried, you know, something resembling offensive action. Maybe get RBY in a feet to back scenario. Call me crazy but his strategy was absolutely terrible.

Nothing like nearly riding a guy out to come out with a net zero point differential when you’re down a couple of takedowns. Brilliant!

4 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Better than being content to lose by a few points.

No wrestler is as great as many like to think. Wrestling is all about strengths and weaknesses. To win, you need to work your strengths and avoid your weaknesses. Across the board, applies to everyone.

Are you suggesting that Nagao avoid a strong position to assume a weaker one? That would be... not good strategy.

It would be more strategic for Nagao to stay in position and continue to wrestle an aggressive opponent like RBY. It would be fair to assume RBY will try to fight out of this position.

As I've said - was a surprise to most everyone that RBY didn't show any fight there.

1 minute ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

No wrestler is as great as many like to think. Wrestling is all about strengths and weaknesses. To win, you need to work your strengths and avoid your weaknesses. Across the board, applies to everyone.

Are you suggesting that Nagao avoid a strong position to assume a weaker one? That would be... not good strategy.

It would be more strategic for Nagao to stay in position and continue to wrestle an aggressive opponent like RBY. It would be fair to assume RBY will try to fight out of this position.

As I've said - was a surprise to most everyone that RBY didn't show any fight there.

Nagao was down 3. He needed to make something happen, but the only thing he worked for was a riding point. Never attempted a turn. And it apparently never occured to him to cut RBY and work for a takedown. It was purely bad match strategy. Lose by 2 or lose by more and you still lose. 

5 minutes ago, Le duke said:

Maybe Nagao should’ve cut RBY and tried, you know, something resembling offensive action. Maybe get RBY in a feet to back scenario. Call me crazy but his strategy was absolutely terrible.

Nothing like nearly riding a guy out to come out with a net zero point differential when you’re down a couple of takedowns. Brilliant!

Again, "hindsight."

Maybe RBY should have tried to fight out from bottom and get back to neutral and score. I don't doubt that he could have done it. I'm just surprised he didn't even try.

A little nutty here.

Two wrestlers who didn't go out on a limb in a 2 pt match? RBY is the better wrestler. How could you reasonably expect Nagao to be the one to take the risk?

1 minute ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Nagao was down 3. He needed to make something happen, but the only thing he worked for was a riding point. Never attempted a turn. And it apparently never occured to him to cut RBY and work for a takedown. It was purely bad match strategy. Lose by 2 or lose by more and you still lose. 

You're wrong here. Nagao didn't "need to make something happen." 

You're parroting Le Duke, I've already covered his comments above.

Just now, GreatWhiteNorth said:

You're wrong here. Nagao didn't "need to make something happen." 

You're parroting Le Duke, I've already covered his comments above.

He only didn't need to make something happen if he did not want to win.

How do you come from down 3 without making something happen?