• Playwire Ad Area

Bo nickal vs David taylor

31 minutes ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

Where would 2012 David Taylor finish among this year's 165 field? I could see Amine, Hamiti, and a healthy O'Toole stealing a match or three. Kharchla would be interesting if he doesn't gas out, or Carr. Taylor said his biggest drawback in college was paying basically zero attention to strength training and nutrition.

2012 David Taylor and 2012 157' llb Dake were generational talents in college.  Honestly believe theyd both win comfortably against this year's field. 

Edited by PortaJohn
  • Fire 1

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

6 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

He took 2nd at 174

My bad. Lost to Martin in the finals while Ruth got beaten by the kid from Stanford and Wrestled all the way back to 3rd. That was imperssive.

4 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

2012 David Taylor and 2012 157' Dake were generational talents in college.  Honestly believe theyd both win comfortably against this year's field. 

Agreed. 

How about Starocci/Brooks vs Nickal/Ruth? 

1 minute ago, scourge165 said:

My bad. Lost to Martin in the finals while Ruth got beaten by the kid from Stanford and Wrestled all the way back to 3rd. That was imperssive.

Agreed. 

How about Starocci/Brooks vs Nickal/Ruth? 

Out of the 4 of them Brooks is the best but because we live in an era where "flashy=superior" he'll never get the recognition.  

• Fire 1

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

10 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

Out of the 4 of them Brooks is the best but because we live in an era where "flashy=superior" he'll never get the recognition.  

I could argue for all 4...pretty much any order. Ruth made it look so easy...effortless. Like he wasn't even trying almost. They'd all struggle to score on Brooks. 

I don't think Brooks is going to fail to get recognition. He's going to win 4 in 4 potentially and what seed was he as a Freshmen? A True Freshmen when he had one loss to Venz that he avenged at the B1Gs?

A Bronze Medalist in his bracket...the only thing that might take some shine off Brooks 4th is Starocci's 4th and then that random loss to Coleman, but you're still talking about a kid on the precipice of being a 4X Champ. I think I'd still put DT right in that group with Brooks though. I don't think it's as simple as ranking them in groups among 3X, 4X or a 2X champ. 

2 hours ago, scourge165 said:

Because you infer that Nickal was the better Wrestler coming out of High School and...as I've been told, this is a forum and when you disagree with someone, you point that out;

I disagree. This is why I quoted you.

I did mis-read what you said about Cael vs Cal, but it's also a different discussion. That's post-college. I'd say the 2 Hodge Awards, 1 loss in the finals to Jenkins and then vs Dake.

Um, nowhere did I state that Nickal was better in HS. What you infer is not what was implied. No idea who was better in HS, don't care who was better in HS and it's irrelevant to who was the better in college. The point of mentioning Treigning Lab is that Taylor did not become potential GOAT material until years after college. And to make a joke that you didn't understand.

Nickal's best win in college, Gabe Dean, is far better than any on Taylor's list. Taylor overwhelmed lesser opponents but did not have a signature win in college, regardless of the Hodge awards. Was Nickal better than Taylor in college? Maybe, maybe not but it is not unreasonable to think the best NCAA version of Nickal could beat the best NCAA version of Taylor on a P4P basis. 

3 hours ago, Theo Brixton said:

Um, nowhere did I state that Nickal was better in HS. What you infer is not what was implied. No idea who was better in HS, don't care who was better in HS and it's irrelevant to who was the better in college. The point of mentioning Treigning Lab is that Taylor did not become potential GOAT material until years after college. And to make a joke that you didn't understand.

Nickal's best win in college, Gabe Dean, is far better than any on Taylor's list. Taylor overwhelmed lesser opponents but did not have a signature win in college, regardless of the Hodge awards. 

Nickal always had that dawg in him. Bo all day vs. NCAA Taylor.

Ok...Nickal always had the "dawg" in him. That seems like it'd be inferring one was tougher coming out vs the other.

And yes, that brilliant "joke" about needing coach Cal more than Cael! Because they're almost spelled the same! Or maybe Taylor just needed to add weight to he wasn't losing to one of the most decorated American's and another world Champ in Dake...either way.

Nickal's best win? And his losses were MUCH worse. Nate Jenkins? A loss to the 12 seed he avenged 4-3.

Was Nickal better than Taylor in college? Maybe, maybe not but it is not unreasonable to think the best NCAA version of Nickal could beat the best NCAA version of Taylor on a P4P basis. 

Never said it was "unreasonable." I said I disagreed. And then you wondered why and now you're getting a bit sensitive about all of it.

Kinda seems like you're the one who's suggesting it's "unreasonable" to go with Taylor.

4 hours ago, scourge165 said:

And yes, that brilliant "joke" about needing coach Cal more than Cael! Because they're almost spelled the same! Or maybe Taylor just needed to add weight to he wasn't losing to one of the most decorated American's and another world Champ in Dake...either way.

You still don't understand the reference. It's OK. Pearls before swine as they say.

You remind me of someone that used to post on the wiwrestling forums. Always quick to get into pissing matches over nothing. Often wrong but never in doubt. I think his name was Paul something or other and used a weight class in his screen name ...I'll remember at some point. Some of his background was similar to what you've disclosed here. Interesting coincidence. 

5 hours ago, Theo Brixton said:

You still don't understand the reference. It's OK. Pearls before swine as they say.

You remind me of someone that used to post on the wiwrestling forums. Always quick to get into pissing matches over nothing. Often wrong but never in doubt. I think his name was Paul something or other and used a weight class in his screen name ...I'll remember at some point. Some of his background was similar to what you've disclosed here. Interesting coincidence. 

No...why don't you explain to me the reference or this great "joke" you made?

And someone named Paul something who used a weight class in his screen name? Yup...you got it! Keep the gears grinding and I'm sure you'll get there. 

I'm not sure how I'M the one who got into the "pissing match" here other than by disagreeing with you...which you somehow took to be a personal affront. I remember someone like that posting on wiwrestling. His name was Ben something. Always right and ready to argue about anything. Interesting coincidence🙄

16 hours ago, scourge165 said:

I could argue for all 4...pretty much any order. Ruth made it look so easy...effortless. Like he wasn't even trying almost. They'd all struggle to score on Brooks. 

I don't think Brooks is going to fail to get recognition. He's going to win 4 in 4 potentially and what seed was he as a Freshmen? A True Freshmen when he had one loss to Venz that he avenged at the B1Gs?

A Bronze Medalist in his bracket...the only thing that might take some shine off Brooks 4th is Starocci's 4th and then that random loss to Coleman, but you're still talking about a kid on the precipice of being a 4X Champ. I think I'd still put DT right in that group with Brooks though. I don't think it's as simple as ranking them in groups among 3X, 4X or a 2X champ. 

Did any of the 4 have a better win than Nickal beating the 2x defending champ as a sophomore (kudos to Theo for calling this win out)?

15 hours ago, Theo Brixton said:

Nickal's best win in college, Gabe Dean, is far better than any on Taylor's list. Taylor overwhelmed lesser opponents but did not have a signature win in college, regardless of the Hodge awards. Was Nickal better than Taylor in college? Maybe, maybe not but it is not unreasonable to think the best NCAA version of Nickal could beat the best NCAA version of Taylor on a P4P basis. 

53 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Did any of the 4 have a better win than Nickal beating the 2x defending champ as a sophomore (kudos to Theo for calling this win out)?

I think the Mekhi Lewis win was a pretty big one. 1X Champ and very possibly a 2X Champ if not for the injury in '21. 

Again, beating a Bronze Medalist was pretty impressive. 
Ruth beat the same person you're referencing at least twice...though before he won it.
I said I think you could make an argument for all 4. How does that end up being controversial? 

You're also quoting a response to a PSU fan stating Brooks was the best and that he won't get his credit, so if you've got an issue with that, take it up with him.

14 minutes ago, scourge165 said:

I think the Mekhi Lewis win was a pretty big one. 1X Champ and very possibly a 2X Champ if not for the injury in '21. 

Again, beating a Bronze Medalist was pretty impressive. 
Ruth beat the same person you're referencing at least twice...though before he won it.
I said I think you could make an argument for all 4. How does that end up being controversial? 

You're also quoting a response to a PSU fan stating Brooks was the best and that he won't get his credit, so if you've got an issue with that, take it up with him.

Whoops, meant to quote @PortaJohn 's post saying Brooks was the best

• Fire 1