• Playwire Ad Area

Bo nickal vs David taylor

I have a lot of respect for what Nickal has accomplished, but still hate his weird "rugged funk" wrestling style. It's like he wants to be as funky as Askren but can't so he makes up for it by horsing people around with heavy collar ties and snaps. But hey it works, so give me Nickal in 4.

5 hours ago, Theo Brixton said:

Post-Treigning Lab Taylor is a completely different animal and is the greatest American FS wrestler, IMO. DT needed coach Cal more than coach Cael. Nickal always had that dawg in him. Bo all day vs. NCAA Taylor.

Taylor was the better Wrestler coming out. Yeah, he may have needed Cael more than Cael needed him to win a World and Olympic Titles...or maybe he was just stuck at a weight with the most dominant Wrestler at that time and had to add 20 pounds of good weight to go up. 

You're acting like Taylor WASN'T a 4X Champ from Ohio. Best of the East, Ironman, #1 P4P wrestler...bumped up to take on Palmer in one of the best HS matches I've ever seen.

Who wins? Probably Nickal just due to size, but I'll take Taylor as the better Wrestler. Taylor lost to Bubba Jenkins and then Dake.
Nickal lost to Nate Jackson, Martin a couple times. 

Now a lot to separate them, but I think Taylor was better. 2X Hodge award winner. He LOOKED like the next Cael heading into that match undefeated and the favorite of Jenkins...but he lost. Then he gets Dake and they again gave us some of the best matches I've seen. 5-4 finals to give Dake his 4th. 

But Nickal was 197.

So are we saying they're closer in weight and imagining how it'd go? Because obviously a 165 Taylor wouldn't beat a 197 Nickal. 

8 minutes ago, scourge165 said:

Taylor was the better Wrestler coming out. Yeah, he may have needed Cael more than Cael needed him to win a World and Olympic Titles...or maybe he was just stuck at a weight with the most dominant Wrestler at that time and had to add 20 pounds of good weight to go up. 

You're acting like Taylor WASN'T a 4X Champ from Ohio. Best of the East, Ironman, #1 P4P wrestler...bumped up to take on Palmer in one of the best HS matches I've ever seen.

Who wins? Probably Nickal just due to size, but I'll take Taylor as the better Wrestler. Taylor lost to Bubba Jenkins and then Dake.
Nickal lost to Nate Jackson, Martin a couple times. 

Now a lot to separate them, but I think Taylor was better. 2X Hodge award winner. He LOOKED like the next Cael heading into that match undefeated and the favorite of Jenkins...but he lost. Then he gets Dake and they again gave us some of the best matches I've seen. 5-4 finals to give Dake his 4th. 

But Nickal was 197.

So are we saying they're closer in weight and imagining how it'd go? Because obviously a 165 Taylor wouldn't beat a 197 Nickal. 

Not sure why you're quoting me in this thread but the "Cal" in "DT needed coach Cal more than coach Cael." refers to Sam Calavitta of Treigning Lab. 

Hypothetically, if they were in college at the same time they never would've wrestled because they were never in the same weight class.  What's up with all these recent fantasy matches where the two wrestlers are separated by 20 to 30 pounds 

Edited by PortaJohn

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

The only time they could have met would be Sooh-Senior DT against Frosh Nickal with DT bumping up.

I think DT wins that match even if weighing in at 165 and doing a 'true' bump. If DT is allowed to hydrate up and not have to bump he wins via domination.

Nickal didn't jump levels until after his Frosh season.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

2 hours ago, PortaJohn said:

Hypothetically, if they were in college at the same time they never would've wrestled because they were never in the same weight class.  What's up with all these recent fantasy matches where the two wrestlers are separated by 20 to 30 pounds 

Yeah this question is kinda dumb.   I think Nickal vs Ruth is more comparable, and a more interesting question IMO

• Fire 1

My two cents. 

NCAA versions are different people entirely.  If could somehow make the same size without sacrificing anything, lean DT due to better overall technical ability.  Granted, Nickal could pin anyone.

Freestyle version.  We already know the answer.  DT all day everyday.  One of the GOATs. 

• Fire 1

It is tough to know, but they had to be training partners sometime along the line at NLWC.   Taylor was in the room for sure.   Taylor for sure ran into a mammoth man called Burroughs and then ran into Cox.   But then he grew into the weight and owns it.  Taylor is a much different looking person than when in college.   He had a late growth spurt and put on lbs of muscle.   Tough to say what about then.   But Taylor hands down now.   He  has found his niche. 

mspart

• Fire 1

4 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Yeah this question is kinda dumb.   I think Nickal vs Ruth is more comparable, and a more interesting question IMO

Should we expect anything different from one of Cinnabon's burner accounts?

Edited by PortaJohn

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

Where would 2012 David Taylor finish among this year's 165 field? I could see Amine, Hamiti, and a healthy O'Toole stealing a match or three. Kharchla would be interesting if he doesn't gas out, or Carr. Taylor said his biggest drawback in college was paying basically zero attention to strength training and nutrition.

8 hours ago, Theo Brixton said:

Not sure why you're quoting me in this thread but the "Cal" in "DT needed coach Cal more than coach Cael." refers to Sam Calavitta of Treigning Lab. 

Because you infer that Nickal was the better Wrestler coming out of High School and...as I've been told, this is a forum and when you disagree with someone, you point that out;

8 hours ago, scourge165 said:

Nickal always had that dawg in him. Bo all day vs. NCAA Taylor.

I disagree. This is why I quoted you.

I did mis-read what you said about Cael vs Cal, but it's also a different discussion. That's post-college. I'd say the 2 Hodge Awards, 1 loss in the finals to Jenkins and then vs Dake.

13 minutes ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

Where would 2012 David Taylor finish among this year's 165 field? I could see Amine, Hamiti, and a healthy O'Toole stealing a match or three. Kharchla would be interesting if he doesn't gas out, or Carr. Taylor said his biggest drawback in college was paying basically zero attention to strength training and nutrition.

I think Taylor would win this weight. Not as easily as he won it in '12 obviously. 4 pins and a tech. But I don't think O'Toole could scramble with him. Hamiti is kinda like Taylor just...well, a lesser version at this point. I think he's tech Khcarchla to be honest. People forget, that weight had guys like Evans or Kokesh who were similar in style to Kharchla...IMO, but better.

Carr and O'Toole...obviously the best matchup's, but I think Taylor did what they did, just better. I did think Taylor should have gone up and tried to add some weight, but it was always kinda hard to argue with the results. I would have said 174, I never would have guessed he'd have gotten as big as he did.

5 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Yeah, I don't know why this got the Jimmy Cinnabon treatment. It is a better comp. Nickal took a 3rd at '74 then spent 2 years at '84.

Taylor took a 2nd at '57 and then wrestled '65.

Ruth wrestled two years at '74 and two at '84.