• Playwire Ad Area

Pac-12 Championships Thread - Brackets

Idaho

There wasn't much room for error in this tournament for ASU. Yas getting stuck as Belton was starting to go empty and Courtney losing were surprises. Injuries have just been unkind. Losing Jacori, then having Kordell miss most of the season. Montalvo was in and out with injuries too. ASU needed to go at least 5 for 6 in the finals to have a shot. Also having Willner and Negron not do much on the backside hurt. 

I saw they were dinged a point for the extracurriculars after Yas lost. What was the other point for?

14 hours ago, Tripnsweep said:

There wasn't much room for error in this tournament for ASU. Yas getting stuck as Belton was starting to go empty and Courtney losing were surprises. Injuries have just been unkind. Losing Jacori, then having Kordell miss most of the season. Montalvo was in and out with injuries too. ASU needed to go at least 5 for 6 in the finals to have a shot. Also having Willner and Negron not do much on the backside hurt. 

I saw they were dinged a point for the extracurriculars after Yas lost. What was the other point for?

Not sure what you are referring to here.   You said they were "dinged a point" and then asked what was the other point for? Were they dinged two points?  

As to Ysaguirre he nearly got dinged in his match at Nebraska (and probably should have been).  He's quick to anger.  That seems a certainty at this point.  Not very sportsmanlike either.   The ASU coaches need to have some serious discussions with him about that.

I'm still trying to figure out how he nearly majored the # 4 ranked guy in the country week before last and then lost to Belton by getting pinned flat on his back - on a move that Ysaguirre initiated.   Maybe Hardy was just having a bad day and he caught him at just the right time or maybe Hardy was ill or something but Ysaguirre was a pale imitation of what I saw of him in his win at Nebraska at the PAC 12 tournament.

Edited by NearFall
correction

1 hour ago, NearFall said:

Not sure what you are referring to here.   You said they were "dinged a point" and then asked what was the other point for? Were they dinged two points?  

As to Ysaguirre he nearly got dinged in his match at Nebraska (and probably should have been).  He's quick to anger.  That seems a certainty at this point.  Not very sportsmanlike either.   The ASU coaches need to have some serious discussions with him about that.

I'm still trying to figure out how he nearly majored the # 4 ranked guy in the country week before last and then lost to Belton by getting pinned flat on his back - on a move that Ysaguirre initiated.   Maybe Hardy was just having a bad day and he caught him at just the right time or maybe Hardy was ill or something but Ysaguirre was a pale imitation of what I saw of him in his win at Nebraska at the PAC 12 tournament.

Maybe the Pac 12 is just tougher than the Big 10?  

• Fire 1

So let’s put it all together in one post what happened to ASU. 
1. Their best 125 did not wrestle. 
2. At 141, Yas barely wrestled all year and they expected him to be tournament, win or go home ready. Not enough mat time all year. 
3.  Wilner and Negron have no heart. Too bad Nummer couldn’t suck down to 165. Heart of a champion. 
4. Cael. I can’t tell if he wants to wrestle. Doesn’t look dedicated. 
5. Need to see a better version of Taco. 
6. Norfleet. Why wrestle 2 matches then Medicsl forfeit. 
7.  And the most important for last. They miss Pendleton. 

12 hours ago, NearFall said:

I know he got hit for a team point after he lost to Belton. I couldn't figure out who else cost them a team point. 

8 hours ago, SunDevil said:

So let’s put it all together in one post what happened to ASU. 
1. Their best 125 did not wrestle. 
2. At 141, Yas barely wrestled all year and they expected him to be tournament, win or go home ready. Not enough mat time all year. 
3.  Wilner and Negron have no heart. Too bad Nummer couldn’t suck down to 165. Heart of a champion. 
4. Cael. I can’t tell if he wants to wrestle. Doesn’t look dedicated. 
5. Need to see a better version of Taco. 
6. Norfleet. Why wrestle 2 matches then Medicsl forfeit. 
7.  And the most important for last. They miss Pendleton. 

Valid points.   Especially # 7. 

I think if Zeke had gone with Figueroa at 125 lbs ASU would have won another weight class.  

Ysaguirre was their best shot at 141 lbs and for most of that match he was doing well.  What was their alternative with Vasquez out?

Cael seemed to revert back to what he looked like in Nov. and Dec., i.e., tentative to a fault.  As opposed to what he looked like in Jan. & Feb. That being much more aggressive.  The good thing is Cael qualified for Tulsa by way of his 6-5 win over Eischens in the true 2nd match.

# 8.  Zeke, in the last year, appeared to be relying on the transfer portal to fill open spots in their lineup.  I'd ask if he thinks that worked out for them.  I'd also ask why they only signed one HS recruit (Nico Ruiz) for 2024 when they have at least three starters leaving (Courtney - McGee - Norfleet).  Are they going to continue to rely on the TP?

Edited by NearFall

45 minutes ago, NearFall said:

Valid points.   Especially # 7. 

I think if Zeke had gone with Figueroa at 125 lbs ASU would have won another weight class.  

Ysaguirre was their best shot at 141 lbs and for most of that match he was doing well.  What was their alternative with Vasquez out?

Cael seemed to revert back to what he looked like in Nov. and Dec., i.e., tentative to a fault.  As opposed to what he looked like in Jan. & Feb. That being much more aggressive.  The good thing is Cael qualified for Tulsa by way of his 6-5 win over Eischens in the true 2nd match.

# 8.  Zeke, in the last year, appeared to be relying on the transfer portal to fill open spots in their lineup.  I'd ask if he thinks that worked out for them.  I'd also ask why they only signed one HS recruit (Nico Ruiz) for 2024 when they have at least three starters leaving (Courtney - McGee - Norfleet).  Are they going to continue to rely on the TP?

They have Larkin coming in next year also. Too much talent on the west coast to only be bringing in one kid from the 2023 class. The TP has been good to them, but it doesn’t seem like a great option for a 1 year fix. Overall, recruiting has been feast or famine.  That has contributed to the big holes in the lineup year in and year out. 

BTW. Oregon State bringing in 10 guys 

Edited by SunDevil

5 hours ago, SunDevil said:

They have Larkin coming in next year also. Too much talent on the west coast to only be bringing in one kid from the 2023 class. The TP has been good to them, but it doesn’t seem like a great option for a 1 year fix. Overall, recruiting has been feast or famine.  That has contributed to the big holes in the lineup year in and year out. 

BTW. Oregon State bringing in 10 guys 

It didn't really work out that well with Negron this year. I guess there was a reason he left Penn State.

Teams
1 Oregon State, 123.5
2 Stanford, 113.5
3 Cal Poly, 112.0
4 Arizona State, 110.5
5 Little Rock, 82.0
6 CSU Bakersfield, 58.0

This is a surprising result to me.   I did not think OSU would win, but they did quite well.  They had 5 Pac-12 champions which is much better than I had thought.   Pendleton must be doing something right there.   Hopefully those that go to NCAAs from OSU wrestle above their seeds drastically.   I would love to see that. 

And look at that!!  Little Rock did better than CSU Bakersfield.   Who woulda thunk?

mspart