• Playwire Ad Area

Your thoughts on which colleges should bring back (or start) wrestling?

CashingChecks25

7 minutes ago, ScarletKnight said:

Seton Hall, Syracuse, notre dame, Clemson, ucla, temple, Boise st, LSU, Oregon, Auburn.  Some of those teams had champions.  

Who has brought a team back beside Bucknell and Fresno St? 

Stanford, sort of, yeah pretty sure it was gone.

Edited by ionel

On 2/18/2023 at 3:34 PM, AKHUNTER said:

because the conference they are joining has ALL schools with wrestling.

With schools joining without wrestling.............. COULD it be possible some present schools in the future drop the sport?

They would start to resemble the Big 12

I think there are some obvious schools, Slippery Rock a.k.a. The Rock, Miami of Ohio, Portland State, Oregon, Boise State, Utah State, UC Davis, UCLA, Fresno State, Long Beach State, Clemson, LSU, Florida, & UNO. The western states need more programs. 

It would be nice to see 10-12 JUCOs in Texas add wrestling. They could be their own conference. 

17 minutes ago, TexRef said:

I think there are some obvious schools, Slippery Rock a.k.a. The Rock, Miami of Ohio, Portland State, Oregon, Boise State, Utah State, UC Davis, UCLA, Fresno State, Long Beach State, Clemson, LSU, Florida, & UNO. The western states need more programs. 

It would be nice to see 10-12 JUCOs in Texas add wrestling. They could be their own conference. 

It's been estimated that it would cost a power 5 ~20M to add a Wrestling Program. Stanford didn't have the start-up costs...and there's no way that'd be the price to put together Juco's in Texas. 

But I know there have been a few programs cut DESPITE people coming in and offering to fund it. I believe Marquette was one, but there have been others.

• Fire 2

On 2/18/2023 at 3:36 PM, ionel said:

Should all the current b10s be required to add men's volleyball and water polo?

I don't follow. Do all the B1G teams have those sports?

There's long been a myth that it was part of the B1G Charter that you had to have a Wrestling program. I believe now you have to have every sport, BUT two. A maximum of #2 sports you don't offer the rest of the B1G does. But even that's something that I've never seen in writing, it's just passed around like fact.

It DOES really feel like the B1G should have Wrestling. It'd be like the SEC dropping Football or Big East dropping Basketball.

You REALLY could free up a whole lot of room by lowering the # of scholarships in Football. Just drop it to 80 and that'd make a world of difference. But...no reason to pluck the feathers of the Golden Goose.

• Fire 1

12 hours ago, Fadzaev2 said:

Portland State

Rick Sanders (1997) - Portland State Athletics Hall of Fame ...

Here's a link to all the all-americans from Portland State, mostly division II, but some division I  .....maybe Saunders, Yatabe and Dan Russell with the most division I finishes.  There are four pages of all-americans you can navigate through here.  Fadz     https://nwhof.org/national-wrestling-hall-of-fame/champions-database?school=203

• Fire 3

2 minutes ago, Fadzaev2 said:

Here's a link to all the all-americans from Portland State, mostly division II, but some division I  .....maybe Saunders, Yatabe and Dan Russell with the most division I finishes.  There are four pages of all-americans you can navigate through here.  Fadz     https://nwhof.org/national-wrestling-hall-of-fame/champions-database?school=203

Here is a link to Marlin Grahn their Hall of Fame wrestling coach and a lot of what he accomplished there.   https://goviks.com/honors/portland-state-athletics-hall-of-fame/marlin-grahn/24   Fadz

Edited by Fadzaev2
  • Fire 1

9 hours ago, scourge165 said:

I don't follow. Do all the B1G teams have those sports?

There's long been a myth that it was part of the B1G Charter that you had to have a Wrestling program. I believe now you have to have every sport, BUT two. A maximum of #2 sports you don't offer the rest of the B1G does. But even that's something that I've never seen in writing, it's just passed around like fact.

It DOES really feel like the B1G should have Wrestling. It'd be like the SEC dropping Football or Big East dropping Basketball.

You REALLY could free up a whole lot of room by lowering the # of scholarships in Football. Just drop it to 80 and that'd make a world of difference. But...no reason to pluck the feathers of the Golden Goose.

Its a myth, what about soccer?

I mentioned the football scholarship cut option to a football coach a decade ortho ago, rather ridiculous the excuss he gave for why that wouldn't work.  

2 minutes ago, AKHUNTER said:

bit of a commute from here to um...........ANYWHERE

Well ... sure ... that may be the problem.  Did they ever complete the bridge/road to nowhere and who could find RI even if they were looking?  Although, Russia is big into wrestling and its my understand you can see Sarah Palin's back yard from Russia, so ...  

• Haha 2

Just now, ionel said:

Well ... sure ... that may be the problem.  Did they ever complete the bridge/road to nowhere and who could find RI even if they were looking?  Although, Russia is big into wrestling and its my understand you can see Sarah Palin's back yard from Russia, so ...  

lol......

that bridge to nowhere........ (would have opened up some land for development just across the narrows from Ketchican) but I digress ........... Alaska got the $$$ but Plain supposedly spent it elsewhere. which I guess was allowed.

1 minute ago, AKHUNTER said:

lol......

that bridge to nowhere........ (would have opened up some land for development just across the narrows from Ketchican) but I digress ........... Alaska got the $$$ but Plain supposedly spent it elsewhere. which I guess was allowed.

And I was just joking.  I hated the way they portrayed Alaska's funding, there's a good reason they need more dollars spent per capita on airports than any other state, etc.