• Playwire Ad Area

Your thoughts on which colleges should bring back (or start) wrestling?

CashingChecks25

2 hours ago, TexRef said:

Hey @Formally140 would you mind sharing your knowledge on the Notre Dame wrestling demise? I ask not for a friend, but for those of us that are fuzzy on the details, (I am not sitting in the back) to those that might not be as "long in the tooth" as most of the posters on this forum, and of course, for those in the back.  Thanks in advance! 

http://johnnythompsonnum1.blogspot.com/2020/03/gone-lost-forgotten-their-best-notre.html

• Fire 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

6 hours ago, TexRef said:

Hey @Formally140 would you mind sharing your knowledge on the Notre Dame wrestling demise? I ask not for a friend, but for those of us that are fuzzy on the details, (I am not sitting in the back) to those that might not be as "long in the tooth" as most of the posters on this forum, and of course, for those in the back.  Thanks in advance! 

Alumni raised more than enough to save the program. Notre Dame pocketed the money and kept the money

• Fire 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, TexRef said:

Alumni raised more than enough to save the program. Notre Dame pocketed the money and kept the money

• Fire 1

Not long after, it came out that there were accusations of NCAA violations in previous years:

https://archives.nd.edu/observer/1992-05-01_v24_141.pdf

(see page 40). 

There was a more in-depth article in the Chicago Tribune.

What I later heard was that the NCAA was planning on conducting an investigation on the alleged violations. 

The ND administration, fearing that the NCAA might use the opportunity to scrutinize their entire athletic department, most notably the football program, responded by axing the wrestling program.  The NCAA subsequently lost interest in the matter, and never came.