• Playwire Ad Area

What top wrestlers left eligibility on the table?.

Threadkilla

1 hour ago, Alces Alces Gigas said:

Its my understanding that the free civic year was put in place so would compete that season.    The NCAA basically said " compete this season and if we have to shut down again it won't hurt you" 

If they didn't offer that, how many would have sat out the year like the ivy teams did?

Sitting out might not have helped without a rule change.  Supposing the NCAA made no change.  Only those incentivized to sit out would be those who have not yet wrestled a collegiate match or have a redshirt left, because unless they made a rule change to pause the 5 year clock you are still missing a year.  Given that they changed the 5 year rule for those affected by covid to a 6 year rule incentivizing people to compete with a free year is probably necessary.

So to answer your question there are really three options

1) No rule changes.  5 year clock and competing in 2020-2021 counts as a competition year

2) Change the 4 years of competition in 5 years of school to 4 years of competition in 5 years and competing in 2020-2021 counts against a competition year.

3) Change the 4/5 to 4/6 years, but competition in 2020-2021 doesn't use a year of competition.

I think 3) gets the most wrestlers competing, 1) the second most, and 2) the fewest by far.

133: Sebastian Rivera: 1 seed, 13-2, never won a title

Sebass went on to wrestle 2 more years for Rutgers.

2022 All-American and NCAA Bronze Medalist

2021 Finished fourth at 141 pounds at the Championships.

Initially, the NCAA did not award the extra year for winter sports. Eventually, the NCAA changed the guideline for students that had registered for the fall 2020 term, but it didn't make the offer until October 2020 and after the registration period for the fall term had closed for all schools.

The crime in all of this, those seniors that missed out on their final NCAA tournament were screwed while the incoming 2020 freshman were offered an extra 5th year without having lost a year.

29 minutes ago, Wrassler said:

Rivera was a five time All American 🇺🇸 if you count the year of Covid! 

He is on par with Lee as one of the technically best wrestlers 🤼‍♀️ of our era!

That's funny, I don't look at Lee and think of him as one of the best technical Wrestlers of our era. One of the best obviously, but not this incredible technician. More like just a physically dominant wrestler. Not quite like his coach, but a little more in the build of his coach than a Cael like technician. 

Either way, however he gets there, he's undeniable. 

• Fire 1

9 hours ago, scourge165 said:

That's funny, I don't look at Lee and think of him as one of the best technical Wrestlers of our era. One of the best obviously, but not this incredible technician. More like just a physically dominant wrestler. Not quite like his coach, but a little more in the build of his coach than a Cael like technician. 

Either way, however he gets there, he's undeniable. 

Perhaps he meant Nick.

• Fire 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

On 2/16/2023 at 1:48 AM, Threadkilla said:

With so many wrestlers who have had seven or even eight years of eligibility through this year?   How many top guys left eligibility on the table?   Vincenzo Joseph and Mark Hall both had eligibility remaining.  Both were number one seed in the NCAA tournament the covid year.  Mark Hall was only at Penn State for 4 years with No Redshirt. . 1,2,2, top seed.  Zahid was under the suspension.    Joseph took a redshirt as a frosh.   I seem to remember initially that winter sports were not offered another year of Eligibility after covid.   Joseph had the chance to be at 3 timer.    I believe Mark  chose to move on as he had a redshirt available.   Imagine if Joseph was there at 165 the following year when Penn State only had four Champs.    

Was there other top seeds that moved on after covid.?

Noah adams from West Virginia was undefeated 32-0 and top seed when Covid cancelled the tournament, he came back for one uneventful year and then passed on 2 years of eligibility to become a West Virginia state trooper 

• Fire 1

2 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Noah adams from West Virginia was undefeated 32-0 and top seed when Covid cancelled the tournament, he came back for one uneventful year and then passed on 2 years of eligibility to become a West Virginia state trooper 

Ferrari took his only college loss to Noah Adams which went on to foreshadow how the police would be bringing him down

Edited by flyingcement
  • Fire 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Thanks for this. I was looking at the AA list from 2020 and was wondering what happened to Noah Adams.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

On 2/16/2023 at 4:28 AM, scourge165 said:

Caveat, rule, it was always gonna screw someone. They just got screwed more than most. 

Especially those two. 1/2/21 and 1/1/2/1 are two guys who are goats. Not Hall is "just" a one time champ and Joseph in the long list of 2X Champs. 

They both got majorly screwed in their quest for truly notable careers with the rare feat of four finals. 

But to me the big victims were Pletcher, Moore, and Lugo.  All three of them had put it all together in their last year, looked like the best at their weights, but never got the chance to win their elusive national championship.  

• Fire 1

3 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Thanks for this. I was looking at the AA list from 2020 and was wondering what happened to Noah Adams.

He gave Ferrari his only college lose but lost to Buchanan 4 times including getting matched up with him first round of ncaas ( he was 3-0 career against Buchanan coming into that season)  , lost in OT to rocky elam in wrestle backs , finished the season 14-5 then quietly retired 

Edited by Antitroll2828

10 hours ago, dragit said:

They both got majorly screwed in their quest for truly notable careers with the rare feat of four finals. 

But to me the big victims were Pletcher, Moore, and Lugo.  All three of them had put it all together in their last year, looked like the best at their weights, but never got the chance to win their elusive national championship.  

I agree with them. Gross got screwed...Rivera. So many guys. Gross because I think people diminish his one title as a bit of a fluke. But it's hard to point out 3 guys who got it worse than those 3. 

They all deserved better. I...it's not worth rehashing it, but the choice to give the guys who didn't lose anything an extra year and not those who lost their senior seasons was baffling.

• Fire 1

56 minutes ago, scourge165 said:

I agree with them. Gross got screwed...Rivera. So many guys. Gross because I think people diminish his one title as a bit of a fluke. But it's hard to point out 3 guys who got it worse than those 3. 

They all deserved better. I...it's not worth rehashing it, but the choice to give the guys who didn't lose anything an extra year and not those who lost their senior seasons was baffling.

Taylor Lujan should probably be included in that group as he was the #1 seed and had never AA’d before.