• Playwire Ad Area

Top stalling. Yet again.

Caveira

Mizzu #7 hart vs oksu #22 young @ 141 lbs.  

Video below.  Oksu rides him from 1:47 to 1:10.   37 seconds.   Now keep in mind oksu just got a 5 second stalling call for dropping to the leg in the immediate prior sequence.   Imo.  It’s the over “legislation” of stalling that is ruining stalling.   We all know what stalling looks like.  We just don’t call it.  Legislating “counts” for this position vs that position I feel is hurting refs ability to call things.   

also keep in mind.  Oksu went on to stall the remainder of the 1:10 left and somehow didn’t get called again for a total  2 minutes of nothing.   Had he got hit for stalling a second time it would likely have been OT.  

*** I don’t have a  beef with the oksu kid.  Just how the legislation of stalling and refs allowing this behavior.   

https://youtu.be/IzZIJ2GrrHo

This will be much worse at conference and ncaa tourneys as well.   Still watching the dual while typing this.  149 is a stall fest too.  

Edited by Caveira
  • Fire 2

Top/bottom stalls are bad and inconsistent across the board. I hate when a top guy is laying 90 degrees on the bottom man, holding an arm bar, but never leaves the hips, and then the ref calls stalling on the bottom man. 

As a HS wrestler long ago I feel like people were always called for riding parallel. 

22 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Paris rode Big Cass parallel for the last minute of the match. No stall call. 

Indeed. He was moving his arms, grabbing and rolling wrists, but he was stalling for the final minute or so. 

On the other hand, Cass was pretty much lying on his stomach, and not truly making any attempt to escape, so he didn't get the benefit of a stall call. I think I counted 3 times he raised his chest up, but it wasn't a true effort and the wrist rolls stopped that action. Gas tank was empty. 

If the official called a stalemate, I wouldn't have been upset at all.

Edited by TylerDurden
  • Fire 1

When you go to double OT do they call it turn-outs or ride-outs?

Folkstyle is inherently not about getting turns, it is about controlling your opponent for as long as possible. Come to the freestyle dark side if you want a superior product that actually punishes negative action.

i am an idiot on the internet

2 hours ago, Caveira said:

Mizzu #7 hart vs oksu #22 young @ 141 lbs.  

Video below.  Oksu rides him from 1:47 to 1:10.   37 seconds.   Now keep in mind oksu just got a 5 second stalling call for dropping to the leg in the immediate prior sequence.   Imo.  It’s the over “legislation” of stalling that is ruining stalling.   We all know what stalling looks like.  We just don’t call it.  Legislating “counts” for this position vs that position I feel is hurting refs ability to call things.   

also keep in mind.  Oksu went on to stall the remainder of the 1:10 left and somehow didn’t get called again for a total  2 minutes of nothing.   Had he got hit for stalling a second time it would likely have been OT.  

*** I don’t have a  beef with the oksu kid.  Just how the legislation of stalling and refs allowing this behavior.   

https://youtu.be/IzZIJ2GrrHo

This will be much worse at conference and ncaa tourneys as well.   Still watching the dual while typing this.  149 is a stall fest too.  

Think you need to read the rules.  It used to be if you took one step back in neutral in the center of the mat at the whistle it might be called stalling.  It used to be that an Iowa wrestler could push opponent all the way from center off the mat and it would be called stalling on the opponent.  Well those rules no longer exist.  Need to read the rules and also the application of the rules given to the refs.  

You may not like the rules but thems the rules.

Also from watching the SDSU v OSU match you could hear almost everything the SD coach said and he clearly does not understand the new rules or just thinks he can influence the ref into application that doesn't exist in the rule book. 

Edited by ionel

2 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I have an alternative theory on why they are not calling top stalling. Because it is not stalling. The NCAA even issued a memo to clarify the issue. 

Did you see the match in question?  The link in the OP didn’t work for me but it starts at 9:45 of this one:

That’s stalling even by the rulebook definition.

26 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Did you see the match in question?  The link in the OP didn’t work for me but it starts at 9:45 of this one:

That’s stalling even by the rulebook definition.

Thanks.  Didn’t realize my link did not work.   He literally just sits in that position for almost 40 seconds.   Gets a stalemate.  Then stalls the rest of the period. The next few matches aren’t very entertaining either. 

50 minutes ago, Caveira said:

Thanks.  Didn’t realize my link did not work.   He literally just sits in that position for almost 40 seconds.   Gets a stalemate.  Then stalls the rest of the period. The next few matches aren’t very entertaining either. 

Yeah to be clear I’m referring to the 1:47 to 1:10 timeframe.   I think most of  what follows can be argued as not stalling according to the rulebook, although some refs certainly might’ve hit him for basically walking Hart out of bounds