• Playwire Ad Area

Are you thinking of becoming a ref? You should.

Dark Energy

Refs are needed.  Many folks on this board seem to know a lot.  They love the sport.  They can contribute in a big way. 

Throw your hat in … be a ref.  Sport needs you.  The kids need you.  Pay is not incredible but hey, you are getting paid.  Will help you appreciate the sport even more.

• Fire 1

Yep - all youth levels are begging for more refs. It's a good way to give back and be involved if you have the availability. 

Unfortunately wrestling has shot itself in the foot at the lower levels. The treatment of officials can be ugly at best - not a surprise that nobody wants to to do it. Mom and Dad get pretty upset about a point scored in the 7th/8th place match at the Hollowville JV Third Chance invitational.  There are HS tournaments scrambling as we speak to get refs secured for their first tournaments of the season. 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

I think folks have gotten the message.  Treatment has improved.  But still, can be better.  99.5% of people are fine.  Small minority need lessons in being constructive members of society.

Sadly, I noticed it can get even worse with kids in grade school.  Some parents were the worst form of humanity - even toward their own kids.  Ugly.  Rare.  But still sad to see.

That isn’t the main story.  Overall people are appreciative and there is goodness.  

If you wilt easily — might be tough.  But don’t need much of a backbone to do fine.

Edited by Dark Energy
  • Fire 1

I officiated middle school and high school for a few years.  It can be a nice way to give back to wrestling, although it's often a thankless job that can wear you down over time.  I enjoyed it for a while, and then got out after it just wasn't fun anymore.  

Years ago at nationals, when speaking with Dan Gable at the WIN show, I told him that I had been involved in wrestling as a competitor and then as an official, his first words to me were: "you guys can't win!"

On 11/4/2022 at 10:36 AM, Dark Energy said:

I think folks have gotten the message.  Treatment has improved.  But still, can be better.  99.5% of people are fine.  Small minority need lessons in being constructive members of society.

Sadly, I noticed it can get even worse with kids in grade school.  Some parents were the worst form of humanity - even toward their own kids.  Ugly.  Rare.  But still sad to see.

That isn’t the main story.  Overall people are appreciative and there is goodness.  

If you wilt easily — might be tough.  But don’t need much of a backbone to do fine.

I assume you need some kind of license. Would you normally start with high school matches or younger kids?

7 minutes ago, Max86 said:

I assume you need some kind of license. Would you normally start with high school matches or younger kids?

When I did it (early 2000s), we didn't need any kind of license.  

Start off by finding a local officials' organization.  Usually run by veterans, they often have their own workshops or officials' tournaments for those who are just starting out.  This will provide a place where you can get regular feedback and answers to the many questions you will have, and can then connect you to kids level tournaments or other venues from which you can work your way up.  

• Fire 1

23 minutes ago, Max86 said:

There isn’t a license but would need to be registered.  Might need to pass a test.  Background check.  Not sure what rules are in your area.  @Sheerstress has good advice.  

Generally start with youth tournaments and with JV tournaments.  Once feel comfortable probably go with less critical duals and less critical tournaments.  That said, with the ref shortage, perhaps get some good duals quickly!  

On 11/7/2022 at 4:26 AM, TexRef said:

In Texas, we have been short on officials for over 20 years. The crazy part is when they realize how much they didn't know or thought they knew. That goes for coaches too. 

If they start out realizing how much they don't know, what happens later that makes them incapable of admitting a mistake in any situation?  Is that trained into them?

Edited by boconnell

On 11/8/2022 at 2:43 PM, Max86 said:

For public school reffing there is typically  a certification which means some training courses and a background check. 

They usually start you off on middle school duals then move you up with experience and good reviews. Since middle school is usually a little different than the high school season (usually a little overlap)  you can get in on both middle school and high school season - at least in the area where I am. 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐