• Playwire Ad Area

Who will have the better international career - Lee or Desanto?

Jimmy Cinnabon

Lee, obviously has much better FS credentials.  But Desanto just had an impressive win over Nashon Garrett.  Lee has much more wear and tear on the knees while ADS didn't really sustain any major injuries in college.

Lee has stated many times his goal was to win Olympic and Word Golds.  But he also supposedly is next in line to be the next Iowa AD or Head Coach of the wrestling team.  Desanto hasn't really stated his goals but he's pursuing freestyle seriously now it seems.  I doubt he's going to end up in coaching given his demeanor.

Factoring in all things, who do you think ends up having the better international career?  Spencer or Austin?

5 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Lee, obviously has much better FS credentials.  But Desanto just had an impressive win over Nashon Garrett.  Lee has much more wear and tear on the knees while ADS didn't really sustain any major injuries in college.

Lee has stated many times his goal was to win Olympic and Word Golds.  But he also supposedly is next in line to be the next Iowa AD or Head Coach of the wrestling team.  Desanto hasn't really stated his goals but he's pursuing freestyle seriously now it seems.  I doubt he's going to end up in coaching given his demeanor.

Factoring in all things, who do you think ends up having the better international career?  Spencer or Austin?

The next Iowa AD?  Seriously?  

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

16 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Lee has stated many times his goal was to win Olympic and Word Golds.  But he also supposedly is next in line to be the next Iowa AD or Head Coach of the wrestling team. 

Where have you been seeing or hearing this? I thought you were trolling the several times you've mentioned it in the past, but you repeat it as though it was a fact. Who speficically said that spencer is the next head coach or athletic director?

DeSanto was fun to watch wrestle in college but have doubts that his style will translate well at the highest levels internationally. We will see. A healthy Spencer has world and Olympic medal talent for sure but right now I don't see him taking out Gilman? He's pretty banged up and isn't as dominant on his feet as he once was. He can get away with going through the motions, getting on top, and racking up cheap tilts in folkstyle but that won't work at the senior level in freestyle.

51 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Neither. Alex Marinelli is going to be 2024 Olympic champ (in Greco). Concrete guarantee.

Edited by Mr. PeanutButter

1 hour ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

Where have you been seeing or hearing this? I thought you were trolling the several times you've mentioned it in the past, but you repeat it as though it was a fact. Who speficically said that spencer is the next head coach or athletic director?

DeSanto was fun to watch wrestle in college but have doubts that his style will translate well at the highest levels internationally. We will see. A healthy Spencer has world and Olympic medal talent for sure but right now I don't see him taking out Gilman? He's pretty banged up and isn't as dominant on his feet as he once was. He can get away with going through the motions, getting on top, and racking up cheap tilts in folkstyle but that won't work at the senior level in freestyle.

This is absolutely a thing on Hawkeye Report. A number of posters there are certain he will be the next head coach of Iowa after he completes his international career. And at least one has speculated that he could be the next AD, perhaps extrapolating from a comment Spencer Lee made in an interview that he had been to events for every team save crew.

I stopped counting at 20 posters who suggest Lee as anywhere from 100% the next choice, to just one of many candidates:

https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/who-would-iowa-go-after-when-brands-retires.403783/

Edited by Wrestleknownothing
  • Fire 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

11 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

This is absolutely a thing on Hawkeye Report. A number of posters there are certain he will be the next head coach of Iowa after he completes his international career. And at least one has speculated that he could be the next AD, perhaps extrapolating from a comment Spencer Lee made in an interview that he had been to events for every team save crew.

Yup.  I don't know why people think I am making these things up.  It takes 5 minutes to read through one of the dozen Spencer Lee threads to verify that these sentiments are shared by a large portion of Hawkeye fans.

2 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Yup.  I don't know why people think I am making these things up.  It takes 5 minutes to read through one of the dozen Spencer Lee threads to verify that these sentiments are shared by a large portion of Hawkeye fans.

Are you sure you don't know?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

You're 100%, totally correct - there has been a lot of this on Hawkeye Report, and for a while.  But I still consider exporting that beautiful and completely baseless romanticism here or anywhere else to be essentially a troll.  The idea that a big state school in one of the two big athletic conferences is going to hire someone in his early (or really anywhere in his) twenties to be athletic director is the dictionary definition of absurd. 

And isn't Brands signed until 2029ish?  Regardless, although it's possible he could be hired as an assistant right after he graduates, I wouldn't see Lee being considered as head coach until after the 2028 Olympics, so none of this would likely be the determinative thing that keeps him from pursuing a freestyle career.  It's his damned knees that would be the problem if there is one.  

14 minutes ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

A lot of fans believed Spencer would bump up to wrestle RBY a couple of weeks ago. That didn't make it likely or true.

I think those were mostly PSU fans, and I am not sure they believed he would as much as hoped he would/wanted to troll Iowa fans. The general tenor on HR was that it would be foolish for Lee to bump up, but if RBY wanted a shot at the king he should drop to 125.

Just a bunch of fans trying to take shots at each other by attributing things to their favorite wrestlers that had no basis in reality.

17 minutes ago, dragit said:

You're 100%, totally correct - there has been a lot of this on Hawkeye Report, and for a while.  But I still consider exporting that beautiful and completely baseless romanticism here or anywhere else to be essentially a troll.  The idea that a big state school in one of the two big athletic conferences is going to hire someone in his early (or really anywhere in his) twenties to be athletic director is the dictionary definition of absurd. 

And isn't Brands signed until 2029ish?  Regardless, although it's possible he could be hired as an assistant right after he graduates, I wouldn't see Lee being considered as head coach until after the 2028 Olympics, so none of this would likely be the determinative thing that keeps him from pursuing a freestyle career.  It's his damned knees that would be the problem if there is one.  

To be totally fair to Iowa fans, none of them are thinking that Spencer takes over as head coach or AD in the next 3-5 years.  I think they are projecting more in the 8-10 year range.  But yes, Spencer is literally a god to Iowa fans, so it's not crazy at all for them to want a 20-something or even early-30s sports GOD to be their next head coach or AD.

For anyone who doesn't believe this logon to Hawkeye Report and start a poll asking "Who do you want to replace the Brands once they retire?" No doubt Spencer Lee will win with like 90% of the votes.

6 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

To be totally fair to Iowa fans, none of them are thinking that Spencer takes over as head coach or AD in the next 3-5 years.  I think they are projecting more in the 8-10 year range.  But yes, Spencer is literally a god to Iowa fans, so it's not crazy at all for them to want a 20-something or even early-30s sports GOD to be their next head coach or AD.

For anyone who doesn't believe this logon to Hawkeye Report and start a poll asking "Who do you want to replace the Brands once they retire?" No doubt Spencer Lee will win with like 90% of the votes.

This is all true but let's please stop using HR as a source for what all/majority of Hawkeye fans think. There are what, maybe 60 active posters on the board (that feels high). It's a good source for information and a chuckle but at the end of the day, that board represents a small sliver of the Hawkeye fandom. Ditto for other team centric message boards 

• Fire 2

Is that taking into account injury history and liklihood of happening again?   If Lee is healthy, he will be stellar I think.   But I have to say I am impressed ADS prevailed in Zagreb Henri Deglane to get gold. 

mspart

Edited by mspart
cited the wrong tourney that ADS won. Corrected it here.

1 minute ago, mspart said:

Is that taking into account injury history and liklihood of happening again?   If Lee is healthy, he will be stellar I think.   But I have to say I am impressed ADS prevailed in Zagreb to get gold. 

mspart

Good question - answer is yes, basically.  I think that if Lee is physically where he was during the pin streak, he's got a much higher ceiling.  And I think that even if Lee gets impaired by injuries, he could come close to DeSanto.  So to me overall I like Lee's future better.  But I am intrigued and hopeful about DeSanto's prospects, he is so dedicated that it would be great to see him at least in the mix for U.S. world teams.

11 minutes ago, Mr. PeanutButter said:

This is all true but let's please stop using HR as a source for what all/majority of Hawkeye fans think. There are what, maybe 60 active posters on the board (that feels high). It's a good source for information and a chuckle but at the end of the day, that board represents a small sliver of the Hawkeye fandom. Ditto for other team centric message boards 

So you contend most Iowa fans don't think Spencer Lee is the best wrestler of all time and don't have him as pick #1 to replace Brands?

19 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Yes but to be totally fair to readers of the board, you posited Lee giving up wrestling for coaching or AD as a possible key reason he wouldn't pan out in freestyle. 

Now you are talking about 8-10 years.  There are two Olympics in the next five, suggesting that if healthy he could compete and then be considered for the coaching job.  He's not going to be hired as athletic director without substantial administrative experience. 

There's no doubt that Spencer has the higher ceiling. The big question is how many more miles he's got left on his body. He'll be almost 30 when the 2028 Olympics rolls around. Dake and Taylor are in their early 30s (Gilman is almost 29) but I don't know if they've wrestled through the types of injuries Lee has.