• Playwire Ad Area

NU vs UI

aknipp

Thoughts from a Nebraska perspective.  

125 Cronin was very good again.  A small part of me things he is overachieving a fair bit.  I hope I am wrong.  I think it is a little bit too easy to get to his legs against the good ones and he won't be able to continue to fight it off one legged.  He is great at it though.  His game in general is strong and he could finish anywhere from 2nd to a 1-2 record in NCAA tourney.  

133 Burwick is better than this, but the writing is on the wall that he cannot score much at NCAA.  The challenge will be to make NCAA at this point.  It is almost like he is so used to not being able to get out from Hardy in practice he has lost all confidence in being able to get out against anyone or something.  Still hopeful he can find a little bit of confidence for when in matters most 

141 Hardy was awesome.  Class act as well.  People not Husker fans are going to be very sick of him by the time he is done.  I think he can beat anyone with his best match.  Also starting to realize his floor is heartbreak round and inching close to being higher than that.  He needs to seed himself into a good situation.  

149 Just a debacle with the redshirt.  Anyone know why the Huskers didn't have anyone ready to go tonight?  

157 Robb rebounded from the takedown well.  He is the small favorite to win at one of the weakest weights.  Fun to watch. 

165 Hopefully Wilson is just getting a couple weeks to reset and work on things before it gets important.  Hopefully no injury. 

174 Ruth is athletic and is very dangerous.  Labs showed a lot of heart to get that win.  I hope he is okay and perhaps that match will help his gas tank as long as he is okay.  He had to go through hell to win that.  Very important win.  He needs to be a 2 or 3 at NCAA if he cannot beat Penn St at Big 10 tourney

184 Pinto another solid effort.   I hope he can find a way to work up the seeding ranks.  Probably going to have to be done at Big 10 tourney as it is getting late.  The grueling match after match every hour at Cliff Keen could loom large in a bad way for his seeding.  Tough weight class. 

197 Allred with a huge win for seeding prospects.  He is wrestling so much smarter of late.  Not quite as risky with his stuff.  Finding better situations for himself.  He is very dangerous as he can always pin anyone at any time.  It would be awesome if he and Pinto can go down a class next year. 

285 I was excited to see what Andrews had.  I had no idea he was so small.  Is it possible he can be 197 if the others go down?  He didn't look much bigger than Eric Schultz to me.  What are we thinking he weighted in at?  Is there any hope for Nebraska to qualify a 285?  I am losing hope that Davidson can do it and no way Andrews can imo. 

• Fire 2

This was definitely one of the largest wrestling crowds of the year at the State Farm Center. maybe the biggest of the season, actually. This is a large arena, and they only started holding the varsity wrestling meets here last year. I think Z. Braunagle could have won had he not picked down in the third period or not made that mistake that put him on his back. Who knows, maybe he was too tired though. The OT match with Ruth and Labriola was amazing. Ruth wrestled better, IMO, but gave up three takedowns after taking deep shots on each of those three but losing a scramble after a successful counter from M.L. No need for excuses though, Nebraska was supposed to win anyway. I don't know if you can discount the final score due to a forfeit or any lineup changes - illinois didn't wrestle Carr at 157, for instance. What was the reason for the forfeit, anyway?

One thing is for sure. Illini needs to drill finishes off of an opponent's whizzer for the postseason. came up so many times tonight.

• Fire 2

15 minutes ago, PencilNeck said:

[snip]

One thing is for sure. Illini needs to drill finishes off of an opponent's whizzer for the postseason. came up so many times tonight.

All of yours was good, but this is going to be the star in my post-match recap. There must have been 10 or more Cornhusker shin whizzers, and I don't think the ILLINI scored on any of them. On the other hand, I think Nebraska scored at least once, maybe twice, while defending with a shin whizzer. That was pretty exasperating. 

If BTN doesn't move their cameras, then the ILLINI fans need to sit on the other side of the mat next season. There were some Orange Krush there tonight, but the majority of the fans were never seen by the cameras. The place will be hopping in a year or two. 

Maximo was pinned. He switched positions from the one he was in against DeAugustino. Yet, here, the refs didn't call the pin, and they specifically said that "near fall criteria wasn't met." So, whatever happens, the refs will not let Maximo score points. That must be in the rulebook somewhere. The B1G refs need to have a class on this position. Sort it out. Then, be consistent. 

Burwick is a tough kid and will easily make the NCAA tournament. He must have been told to avoid Byrd at all costs tonight, though. 

Brock Hardy is a really tough kid. I do think it's weird that there's an actual, in the flesh, "Bubba" on the Nebraska roster, and he's not one of the two skinheads. And I don't mean that pejoratively, those guys just have skin on the top of their heads where most folks have hair. And that's not to say that other people don't have skin there, they just have hair covering up that skin. 

Federico's takedown of Peyton Robb was very nice! He got gassed and stuffed after that. In my optimistic mind, though, I'm thinking, "If Anthony Federico can take down Robb, what might Mikey Carr do?" 

During his match, Labriola looked fine. Before the dual, Manning had two Huskers shake hands at 174. Nebraska must have been a little worried about the outcome of the team score at the time 174 started. I think both Ruth and Labriola will have very nice NCAA tournaments. 

That Lenny Pinto fellow should be disqualified. His underhook to the crotch might not be illegal, but it is surely against the Man Code. You just don't treat another man's meat and potatoes, his block and tackle, his man berries like that. It's just not cricket. 

I thought Zac Braunagel was too nonchalant in his match. He will always beat that guy from today on forward. Awesome to see Wroblewski with the pin on Senior Night. Finally, it was nice to see Dylan Duncan in the crowd. Cheers! 

ILLINIWRESTLING277.jpg

• Fire 1

I do think it's weird that there's an actual, in the flesh, "Bubba" on the Nebraska roster, and he's not one of the two skinheads. And I don't mean that pejoratively, those guys just have skin on the top of their heads where most folks have hair. And that's not to say that other people don't have skin there, they just have hair covering up that skin. 

Insightful work right there.

Burwick can’t get off the bottom.  Allred is for real.  It is ridiculous that there is not a reporter at the end of the dual to ask Manning, “Why 2 backups and no one at 149?”  Wrestling media coverage is so terrible.

• Fire 2

13 hours ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

Maximo was pinned. He switched positions from the one he was in against DeAugustino. Yet, here, the refs didn't call the pin, and they specifically said that "near fall criteria wasn't met." So, whatever happens, the refs will not let Maximo score points. That must be in the rulebook somewhere. The B1G refs need to have a class on this position. Sort it out. Then, be consistent. 

Oh man, I thought he had pinned himself too! Was confused about the Neb challenge for a moment as in my understanding you cannot use instant replay for calling or overturning a pin and watching live I thought the near fall was obvious. But then from 4 back points to zero? Bogus!

Maximo has faced a string of tough opponents. At times looks like he’s just about ready to hang at the level of some of these highly ranked wrestlers.   He could be do some big things in the next couple of years with just a modest amount of improvement. Hopefully he keeps his confidence up despite his unimpressive looking W/L record this year.

• Fire 1

16 hours ago, Royalfan said:

Thoughts from a Nebraska perspective.  

125 Cronin was very good again.  A small part of me things he is overachieving a fair bit.  I hope I am wrong.  I think it is a little bit too easy to get to his legs against the good ones and he won't be able to continue to fight it off one legged.  He is great at it though.  His game in general is strong and he could finish anywhere from 2nd to a 1-2 record in NCAA tourney.  

133 Burwick is better than this, but the writing is on the wall that he cannot score much at NCAA.  The challenge will be to make NCAA at this point.  It is almost like he is so used to not being able to get out from Hardy in practice he has lost all confidence in being able to get out against anyone or something.  Still hopeful he can find a little bit of confidence for when in matters most 

141 Hardy was awesome.  Class act as well.  People not Husker fans are going to be very sick of him by the time he is done.  I think he can beat anyone with his best match.  Also starting to realize his floor is heartbreak round and inching close to being higher than that.  He needs to seed himself into a good situation.  

149 Just a debacle with the redshirt.  Anyone know why the Huskers didn't have anyone ready to go tonight?  

157 Robb rebounded from the takedown well.  He is the small favorite to win at one of the weakest weights.  Fun to watch. 

165 Hopefully Wilson is just getting a couple weeks to reset and work on things before it gets important.  Hopefully no injury. 

174 Ruth is athletic and is very dangerous.  Labs showed a lot of heart to get that win.  I hope he is okay and perhaps that match will help his gas tank as long as he is okay.  He had to go through hell to win that.  Very important win.  He needs to be a 2 or 3 at NCAA if he cannot beat Penn St at Big 10 tourney

184 Pinto another solid effort.   I hope he can find a way to work up the seeding ranks.  Probably going to have to be done at Big 10 tourney as it is getting late.  The grueling match after match every hour at Cliff Keen could loom large in a bad way for his seeding.  Tough weight class. 

197 Allred with a huge win for seeding prospects.  He is wrestling so much smarter of late.  Not quite as risky with his stuff.  Finding better situations for himself.  He is very dangerous as he can always pin anyone at any time.  It would be awesome if he and Pinto can go down a class next year. 

285 I was excited to see what Andrews had.  I had no idea he was so small.  Is it possible he can be 197 if the others go down?  He didn't look much bigger than Eric Schultz to me.  What are we thinking he weighted in at?  Is there any hope for Nebraska to qualify a 285?  I am losing hope that Davidson can do it and no way Andrews can imo. 

Cronin has been smoking everyone outside of Lee. This is the first time in 2 years he's stayed healthy. 

149 I believe was strategy.

174. I'm not sure if they were planning for labbs to wrestle that match until last minute 

5 hours ago, Nelbiscus said:

I do think it's weird that there's an actual, in the flesh, "Bubba" on the Nebraska roster, and he's not one of the two skinheads. And I don't mean that pejoratively, those guys just have skin on the top of their heads where most folks have hair. And that's not to say that other people don't have skin there, they just have hair covering up that skin. 

Insightful work right there.

Burwick can’t get off the bottom.  Allred is for real.  It is ridiculous that there is not a reporter at the end of the dual to ask Manning, “Why 2 backups and no one at 149?”  Wrestling media coverage is so terrible.

Nobody at 149 is strategy I believe. Heavyweight was for future experience 

21 hours ago, jajensen09 said:

Cronin has been smoking everyone outside of Lee. This is the first time in 2 years he's stayed healthy. 

149 I believe was strategy.

174. I'm not sure if they were planning for labbs to wrestle that match until last minute 

I am aware of Cronin results.  I don't think he is a top 2 guy like you do.  I hope I am wrong, but I don't base what I think on what I hope like you do.  

149.  It is an interesting strategy to give up 6.  That makes no sense whatsoever. 

174.  Who cares?  He did wrestle. 

Edited by Royalfan

5 hours ago, Royalfan said:

I am aware of Cronin results.  I don't think he is a top 2 guy like you do.  I hope I am wrong, but I don't base what I think on what I hope like you do.  

149.  It is an interesting strategy to give up 6.  That makes no sense whatsoever. 

174.  Who cares?  He did wrestle. 

Well seeing has has been dominating everyone but Lee after Christmas pretty obvious. 

149 not sure the strategy

174. That absolutely matters if you aren't ready to wrestle, at this point you are just trolling

11 hours ago, jajensen09 said:

Well seeing has has been dominating everyone but Lee after Christmas pretty obvious. 

149 not sure the strategy

174. That absolutely matters if you aren't ready to wrestle, at this point you are just trolling

Wow you really may be the blindest homer on this site. You weren't on themat were you? I don't remember anyone like you for Nebraska

3 hours ago, lowSingle155 said:

Wow you really may be the blindest homer on this site. You weren't on themat were you? I don't remember anyone like you for Nebraska

Liam has been destroying everything in his path besides Lee. Labbs didn't look like himself. You can't deny 

20 minutes ago, jajensen09 said:

Liam has been destroying everything in his path besides Lee. Labbs didn't look like himself. You can't deny 

Yes, except for when Liam was beat by Ethan Berginc and when he was majored by Caleb Smith. He is a senior in his 7th college season with 1 career win at NCAA's. I think its fair to question whether he will be able to keep up this hot streak he is on.

• Fire 5
  • Haha 1